Which Modpack should I play

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
No traincraft for me either. I generally remove it since it messes with vanilla rails.

We use mindcrack on the server I play on, mainly because it has gregtech. I know quite a few people complain about it changing recipes, but it really does help to extend the life of a map, and from a server admin perspective, that's a very good thing.

Well yeah it really depends on the type of player. A lot of people just go and get a quantum suit in the beginning and then get bored and stop. I personally want to keep my map for a while even after I get really high tier stuff. For me there is so much stuff to do in vanilla and tons more with all these mods. But i'm not one who wants to spend hours of mining and waiting for machines to process stuff. Also, say you have a chunk reset (huge one just happened in our storage room recently) that would be horrible trying to get that all back with gregtech IMO

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
Also, say you have a chunk reset (huge one just happened in our storage room recently) that would be horrible trying to get that all back with gregtech IMO
IMO, servers should be backedup often(atleast 3-4x a week). So such a loss wouldn't really effect the server I play on because it's backed up nightly. I mean, I crashed the server with a derp night before last, and the map had to be rolled back, like 12hrs so no big loss.

I enjoy gregtech BECAUSE it gives a vanilla feel starting out, and has a slow progression to industrialization. I mean, if you are a casual player, for the first week, gregtech forces you to play as though it is vanilla. Maybe get a few machines running off a geogen, but nothing serious. I like that because the build up is slower and you get the feel of real accomplishment when you do start reaching for the higher tiered tech.

As you said, w/o GT, people get the gravsuit in a week, then a month later you hardly see them on the server. But with gregtech, well we've had our current map up since December, and there's only 3-4 gravsuits on a server with 24 members on the whitelist.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
if you enjoy getting to new techs quickly, go dw20. if you enjoy having to make practical systems with limited resources go for mindcack.

I'd say this statement pretty much sums it up :)

EE3 for super easy free resources (near creative mode - and that's not an insult). Gregtech for more difficulty, but some really cool machines and blocks.

That said, I did add mystcraft & gravity to my mindcrack game. Can't see playing without it, and I'm enjoying building my void-age spaceship base.

I did try adding thaumic bees to my game, but it crashed- needs the forestry update I guess and I haven't upgraded to the latest mindcrack pack yet.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
IMO, servers should be backedup often(atleast 3-4x a week). So such a loss wouldn't really effect the server I play on because it's backed up nightly. I mean, I crashed the server with a derp night before last, and the map had to be rolled back, like 12hrs so no big loss.

I enjoy gregtech BECAUSE it gives a vanilla feel starting out, and has a slow progression to industrialization. I mean, if you are a casual player, for the first week, gregtech forces you to play as though it is vanilla. Maybe get a few machines running off a geogen, but nothing serious. I like that because the build up is slower and you get the feel of real accomplishment when you do start reaching for the higher tiered tech.

As you said, w/o GT, people get the gravsuit in a week, then a month later you hardly see them on the server. But with gregtech, well we've had our current map up since December, and there's only 3-4 gravsuits on a server with 24 members on the whitelist.

I do get what your saying about gregtech, I dont hate gregtech, if it was in the direwolf20 pack I would probably tweak it a little and keep it. But I don't really love it. Most of the features are just "meh" I think some of the extra challenges are nice. But its almost like some of the changes are there just to make people mad, like storage blocks recipes. How are storage blocks OP again? So then I have to spend an hour looking through the config and enabling/disabling what I want. Overall It would probably be nice to have, but not at the expense of my minium stone, hand grenades, and all my ages

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
So am I the only one who thinks throwing a bunch of iron into my automation to be compressed is an order of magnitude easier than laying them out in a crafting table, balancing the stacks, crafting a bunch of blocks, balancing the stacks again, and repeating 4-5 times? And even more if you want to craft more than a stack of blocks at a time.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
So am I the only one who thinks throwing a bunch of iron into my automation to be compressed is an order of magnitude easier than laying them out in a crafting table, balancing the stacks, crafting a bunch of blocks, balancing the stacks again, and repeating 4-5 times? And even more if you want to craft more than a stack of blocks at a time.
With new InvTweaks you can middle click to balance stacks in your inventory :D Block compressing is basically a "balancing point" for other mods that use metal blocks in crafting, and forces you to create a basic IC2 setup.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019

Its called a packager...