Which MC version should new mod developers target?

Nivix

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, I'd like your opinion on something. As a new mod developer just starting out, which Minecraft version should I target?

Minecraft 1.7 seems to be the most popular, but I doubt any "new" development is being done in that version. Probably mostly maintenance. Minecraft 1.9 hasn't gained much popularity -- meanwhile 1.10 and 1.11 are a thing. Any ideas / opinions?

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
You should probably go for 1.10, there is still a lack of good mods for that version. I would definitely not go for 1.7, because everyone is moving away from that anyway. Generally, I would try to mod the newest version when you're making a new mod, because otherwise you will need to update it a lot afterwards.

Nivix

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks @LordPINE for your response. Aroma1997 also recommended 1.10 on Direwolf20's IRC. I had reservations because the popular mods targeting 1.10 seem unstable and very new, but I guess any mod I make would be in the same boat. :)

V

Viesis

I would say 1.10.x. For the most part, code you write for 1.10.2 would be easily back ported for 1.10 and 1.9.4.

S

Shadow Codex

I just started writing some mods myself, and I am targeting 1.10...

It makes sense just as a developer to go with the latest.