Where is the line between contraption and exploit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mocklaceo444

Jul 29, 2019
I don't do lava pumping from the nether as I think its cheap and I also don't do large amounts of solar panels and I also think those are cheap. Not cost cheap but cheaty cheap. I keep all my gregtech settings on hard and even thought about upping the cost of uu matter in the matter fab but decided not to since the other guys on my server I think wouldn't like that.

Even tho I dont like doing these things I still let my friends on my server do what they want tho. Like two of the folks on my server are pumping the nether dry. On of them is pumping lava out of the nether to feed like over 30 thermal generators and that is his main energy production and for his uumater. I would never do something like this but everyone has there own style of play I guess.

I do use mystcraft ages to do my mining in tho but I don't use the dense ore symbol as I made a mining age for all of us on the server to use its just a plains flat land with caves. I didn't want people tearing up the overworld with quarries. But it had one side effect I dont like, When the mew mystcraft version came out the mining age I made made it incredibly easy to find the new pages and anything else that can be found in chests. Since it was a plains biome and flat there where thaumcraft totem things, librarys, Thaumcraft mounds and the trees with the chests under them everywhere. So we all have more then 1 portal gun since it was so easy to find them and we all have a bunch of mystcraft pages, etc. I regreted leaving that age up when I updated to the new mystcraft but w/e whats done is done. THe other folks on the server didn't mind lol, only I did because I have a weird playstyle I guess and I find some things cheaty that other people dont.

Like instead of using uu matter to make alot of stuff I plan on findind other ways to make things. I plan on using bees for alot of the stuff I would produce with uu mater. I think I will make a matter fab after I have alot of other stuff built as kind of a end game item. Even tho it takes a ton of power to make uu matter it still feels cheap to me since you can make the rarest stuff out of it easily. Yah it takes a ton of eu but really in the case of my friend on the server all he had to do was set up two pumps in the nether and make like 30 something thermal generators and was producing UU matter in no time so that is not much of a investment to be able to make iridium like that. I don't limit the others on the server to my playstyle tho, if they want to pump the nether dry thats fine i just wont do it myself is all. Maybe I am just silly when it comes to the game but I imagine there has to be others that feel the way I do about playing the game.

Actually, it takes 14 hours for one cycle. I'm using 64 thermal generators. :). And dude, that age is awesome. I'm glad you left it up. But for me, there is no line. If its not a glitch and was intended or left in, heck yeah I'll use it.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
Soul stealer on other weapons via uncrafting

This has been patched for nearly a month now. From the TF changelog: "While recrafting at the the uncrafting table, check to see if each enchantment can be applied to the resulting item before transferring it".

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I think the intent of CC is to let people mess around with LUA. Making it super expensive doesn't really make sense if your only goal is to get people to play around with code. Perhaps this is another recipe tweak Greg could provide. Make it cost a diamond and replace the iron with steel or something. I know we're in the middle of thread where people are complaining about GT changing recipes from other mods, but I'm 100% serious. It seems like a natural move.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
This has been patched for nearly a month now. From the TF changelog: "While recrafting at the the uncrafting table, check to see if each enchantment can be applied to the resulting item before transferring it".

too bad the packs aren't using the latest TF version, or the latest versions of many of the mods, in fact.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Who gives a rats ass if you won the game in no time flat?

Servers do.

Hell I used the insta reed growing bug + void ring + black hole ring and it generated more EMC than over 40 Power Flowers. Guess what? It was balanced as I see it. Hell I would have made the stuff stronger.

If you think that's balanced....then you're broken. No other way to say it.

Seriously, when both the original author and the person who took it over from them say "this is OP", it might actually be OP.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
To everything you said, I say; So? Who cares if they're cheap?

A couple of years ago I experimented with building a Bot API for minecraft. It would connect to a server just like any other player, and have the same abilities as any other player, except it would be fully program controlled. The reason I didn't get past the proof-of-concept was because it would require people to purchase a second account just for their bots, and I doubted anyone would care to do that.

I sometimes wonder what peoples' response would've been had I put the bot code up to the general public. They're far more powerful than turtles because the bot is sent all chunk data in the surrounding area.. so it knows exactly where all the ore is, etc.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I sometimes wonder what peoples' response would've been had I put the bot code up to the general public. They're far more powerful than turtles because the bot is sent all chunk data in the surrounding area.. so it knows exactly where all the ore is, etc.

Which means it cheats. Just like Xray mods, it will fall under "whatever the person who can remove you from the gameworld says is an exploit" for mots servers.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Servers do.

If you think that's balanced....then you're broken. No other way to say it.

Seriously, when both the original author and the person who took it over from them say "this is OP", it might actually be OP.

Then the ability to have a choice of a harder recipe is the answer not forcing the change on everyone.

Not really. It means I don't care if my survival game becomes pseudo creative mode. In fact that's my goal when I play. I don't give a damn who feels it's OP, because it's exactly that; they feel that way. It is not empirical, factual, or objective. The challenge I want from the game is entirely my own and the competition, if any, I want from the game is my choice. Balance should be made to be completely up to the user. As far as I'm concerned if a mod doesn't allow that ability to the user it is unfinished. If they do not seek to do so the author is a poor author. Again this is as I see it.

A couple of years ago I experimented with building a Bot API for minecraft. It would connect to a server just like any other player, and have the same abilities as any other player, except it would be fully program controlled. The reason I didn't get past the proof-of-concept was because it would require people to purchase a second account just for their bots, and I doubted anyone would care to do that.

That actually sounds like it would be fun. Could use it for lan purposes and release the calls so servers could protect against it if they wished. Would actually be rather intriguing to program things for it to do.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Not really. It means I don't care if my survival game becomes pseudo creative mode. In fact that's my goal when I play.

Might I suggest just starting in creative mode? There's still a ton of stuff to do/build, just with none of that mucking about farming items and tearing up the landscape (or you can tear up the landscape faster if that's what you're after). Nothing's stopping you from swapping to survival for a bit of monster hunting or manual caving, but you can choose to spend your time elsewhere making giant structures or the like.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
Which means it cheats. Just like Xray mods

It doesn't cheat.. people cheat. In fact it doesn't do anything, it's just a framework, it's up to the bot programmer to actually make it do stuff, and programmer *could* have it only react to what it can "see", although the math for a raycaster might be beyond most people.

And you can build an xray machine in vanilla, I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating, especially since most people seem to use it to find caves to light up to increase their mob farm efficiency.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You don't get it. The mod author thinks it's so unbalanced that they didn't want to maintain the code.

What the mod author feels is unbalanced is irrelevant. Him not wanting to maintain the code is fault on his part. Well not fault but it falls on his shoulders. If people enjoyed the mod yet he did not want to continue it he should have(Or should later if he's still using the source for EE3) released the source or found someone willing to update it. A mod author, imo, should realize it's not their game to balance. They are simply a medium.

Might I suggest just starting in creative mode? There's still a ton of stuff to do/build, just with none of that mucking about farming items and tearing up the landscape (or you can tear up the landscape faster if that's what you're after). Nothing's stopping you from swapping to survival for a bit of monster hunting or manual caving, but you can choose to spend your time elsewhere making giant structures or the like.

Because I don't like the feel of it. Pretty simple. I prefer pseudo-creative.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Him not wanting to maintain the code is fault on his part.

You're a person who shouldn't have their opinion counted.[DOUBLEPOST=1364367004][/DOUBLEPOST]
And you can build an xray machine in vanilla, I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating, especially since most people seem to use it to find caves to light up to increase their mob farm efficiency.

You cannot build an xray machine in vanilla that shows all blocks. Just those blocks next to air blocks. An xray mod, or in your case bot, would know how to beeline to every ore in the ground.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You're a person who shouldn't have their opinion counted.

Opinions should never be counted. An aggregate of opinions does not equate to balance. Each opinion of each person is only relevant to their gameplay unless they give that up to the will of another person(Server owner, FTB devs, mod devs).

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
What the mod author feels is unbalanced is irrelevant. Him not wanting to maintain the code is fault on his part.

Your argument has a flaw; it's one hundred percent wrong.

Unless you've paid the mod makers, you have absolutely no right to tell them what to do. And even if you had paid, (for example vanilla), Mojang still wouldn't have to do what you say because, guess what? They don't work for you.
If you really want EE2 then go and play tekkit.. (does tekkit still have EE2 or is it updated now? I don't really care...)

The mod author will code what they want into their mod. If it is a good mod, then people will like it. If it is so overpowered that even the modmaker realises it, then they will re-code it, wether you like it or not.

If you want a personal coding-slave, hire someone.[DOUBLEPOST=1364416334][/DOUBLEPOST]
They can't put records into record players. And there is no Infusion Altar Turtle yet.

There's a musical turtle though, and I think that the thaumcraft turtles can use the infusion altar but i'm not sure.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
EE2 was a disruptive mod. I think it's best rather than to refer to a mod as unbalanced, to refer to it as disruptive. A disruptive mod is one that is not in line with the balance added in other mods, in short, a mod that does not play nice with others. EE2 was one such mod. It made trivially easy to obtain every resource in the game, making it a moot point to try and balance any other mod installed along with it by adding expensive crafting recipes. Everyone who played with EE2 remembers just how trivially easy it was to set up an infinite EMC generator, with various levels of efficiency. At first, the Dark Room, the first and most easily available way of generating surplus EMC. When more resources were available, milk farms, or mushroom stew farms, using cows and mooshrooms respectively. When enough EMC was generated that way, you could simply craft Collectors and Relays and not worry about mining or quarrying for a single day of your life after that. Anyone that had any experience with EE2 could set up these setups in just a few hours of in-game time, which made it so that after even just a few days, you were already in pseudo-creative mode.

This was worse on servers, where when chunk-loaders were introduced, these massive amounts of EMC could be easily stored as Dark/Red Matter, and upon player arrival, turned back into whatever the player needed for his next build. The infinitely expanding and exponential nature of this EMC generation setup made it so that the game wasn't even Survival Mode anymore, but a pseudo creative mode where you needed little effort in order to set up whatever infrastructure you needed. In fact, a lot of servers disabled EE2 because of it's disruptive nature in relation to the other mods. In short, the EMC value of items were not Equivalent at all, and the whole purpose of the mod, that of being able to equivalently transmute items into other items, fell short, based on how easily you could create infinite EMC generating setups.

If a few of the tricks for massive EMC generation were to be purged from the mod, especially the collector and relay setups, then the mod could've been balanced. If all the mod was able to do was to take one item and change it to another, with no way of producing items from thin air, then maybe, it would be balanced. It seems that this is what Pahimar is going for with EE3, and i fully support it. There is definitely a point where a mod becomes unbalanced enough that it starts to disrupt the mod environment, and EE2 was basically just that.

Reactions: tehBlobLord