When do you nether?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I hate the nether. My first experience in Ultimate generated IN Lava. I loaded in, took one step, burnt to a crisp. With my fancy diamond pick and Nano suit armor.

So now I go in with stone tools, leather armor if I'm in a cow rich area, and treat it like I'm playing Dark Souls. Once I have a nice, safe area to begin with, then I get a little more confident, but never do I enjoy going in. I've been killed far too many times in the nether. Either being burnt in lava, killed by blaze, died when I accidentally, or even occasionally purposefully attacking pigmen. Blown up by Nitro Creepers, on one occasion exposing lava that wiped eight stacks of quartz out of my inventory. Firebats, giant murder spiders, and yes, blown up by bloody Nether Ores.

To repeat myself: I HATE the nether.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start making a portal once I build a diamond pickaxe and gather enough obsidian. However, I don't actually start my journey until I'm prepared. I always make a good set of armor and arm myself with a few good weapons like a bow and an iron sword. I don't attack the zombie pigmen when I go in, but I will defend myself against them if necessary. Anytime I meet a ghast or a wither skeleton, I always try to kill them before they cause a lot of trouble. I don't linger long in the nether. I usually get the things I need and then get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I'm one to go when I start needing one of the resources that are only in the nether. Takes me at least two trips to begin with while I build the structure around the portal. I turn it into a little safe house amongst all the wee beasties who are out to murder me. Once I have that set up I gather as much glowstone/quartz/Ardite/cobalt/blaze rods as I can somewhat safely.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the pack and if there are mods within the pack I want to focus on. Generally, I wait until I have ore doubling that isn't a TiCon Smeltery. If there's no pressing need for glowstone or Quartz I'll probably wait until I have something with Fortune 3 on it, usually through a Luck 3 TiCon tool.

I generally don't do any serious exploration until I have flight and/or a charged porter home, for safety. Bonus points for having some sort of fire protection, usually in the shape of a pyroclast pendant.

I think the worst nether spawn I've ever had dropped me in a cave system under the lava oceans.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the pack and if there are mods within the pack I want to focus on. Generally, I wait until I have ore doubling that isn't a TiCon Smeltery. If there's no pressing need for glowstone or Quartz I'll probably wait until I have something with Fortune 3 on it, usually through a Luck 3 TiCon tool.

I generally don't do any serious exploration until I have flight and/or a charged porter home, for safety. Bonus points for having some sort of fire protection, usually in the shape of a pyroclast pendant.

I think the worst nether spawn I've ever had dropped me in a cave system under the lava oceans.

As annoying as that Nether spawn would be from a resource gathering standpoint, it sounds epic from an adventure standpoint. Having to fight your way through the tunnels of hell, beneath an ocean of lava, just to find a way to surface and face the inevitable challenge that that brings? If Nether Ores were in that, it would help to make it more worthwhile, but the challenge alone would drive me on. Maybe I'm wired differently...

Reactions: ICountFrom0

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Why would you need the nether for TiCon Smeltery Doubling? Yes, it's a bit of work to get lava from the overworld, but it's not so heavy a lava hog as to be impossible to feed.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you need the nether for TiCon Smeltery Doubling? Yes, it's a bit of work to get lava from the overworld, but it's not so heavy a lava hog as to be impossible to feed.

Assuming you're referring to my post, I'm not entirely sure where you got that I was saying I needed nether for TiCon doubling. Really, TiCon is usually my first doubling mechanic, and what I was saying is that I'll usually wait to Nether until I have access to some other form of ore doubling that's easier to automate before I go to the nether. Not that it directly affects anything, but that's kinda where I like to be in my playthrough. That, and decent sword and armor.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Just confusing wording. Read like you were waiting for TiCon smelting until you had access to nether lava. I guess I just mis-read it.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
i used to wait until i had mid game armor and possibly flight at the least. if i just didn't play the pack without visiting at all. Now i tend to have visited it by the end of the second night. Only takes 4 iron, a flint, lava, and water to make a portal, along with some blocks for framing materials. finding the lava is the toughest part. Isn't really all that tough.

I used to hide out from the monsters and not even bother dealing with the tougher ones. Tried fighting them and have found it to be a more interesting and much faster game. For the most part. Some packs are tougher then i real want to learn.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Sometimes I wait until I can make steel (not so much for obsidian, more so I can gather cobalt and ardite). This normally means waiting until I can build and power an induction smelter, but yeah sometimes I gamble on being able to find Nether Pig Iron conveniently close to me portal.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I wait until I can make steel (not so much for obsidian, more so I can gather cobalt and ardite). This normally means waiting until I can build and power an induction smelter, but yeah sometimes I gamble on being able to find Nether Pig Iron conveniently close to me portal.

Obsidian TiCon tools can mine ardite/cobalt, unless something external changes the mining levels. I generally replace the head of my mining hammer with Obsidian just for this.

Also, I think I'm going to add a good bow to my list of things needed for any serious Nethering. Being able to snipe Ghasts and Nitro Creepers makes thing sooo much better.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Obsidian TiCon tools can mine ardite/cobalt, unless something external changes the mining levels. I generally replace the head of my mining hammer with Obsidian just for this.

Also, I think I'm going to add a good bow to my list of things needed for any serious Nethering. Being able to snipe Ghasts and Nitro Creepers makes thing sooo much better.

I stick with the iron pick head to keep the magnetic, and just use sharpening kits to get it up to the mining levels I need.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Electrum and Knight Slime Bow Limbs, Cobalt Plate, and any kind of string, and it'll basically one shot anything it can hit I find. Started with two Knight Slime Limbs, but that was too slow. Good combination of durability and speed.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
From what I remember, Pigmen don't go apeshit if you use Silk Touch. I know for certain that Silk Touch prevents the Nether ores from exploding.
That probably varies from modpack to modpack. They do go apeshit in Blood n' Bones.