When do you nether?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Question as title. Do you wait to get diamond or steel tools and some half-decent armour, or do you start work on your portal as soon as you can scrape together a bit of iron for two buckets?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I don't really rush it, but typically as soon as I have some basic flight and a ranged weapon (vanilla bow usually).

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Once I get a diamond pick (or other obsidian mining tool), I go grab about thirty obsidian, use some to make a portal, then hit the nether with whatever armor I can scrape together.

X

Xenulus

I dont go until I need something for crafting that can only be found there, like quartz, blaze rods, or nether wart.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I generally Nether when it becomes available or necessary. A few times I've rushed it, but usually the payoff isn't high enough to justify the risk to do so. If Witchery and Natura are in the pack together (1.7 days) I've learned to wait until properly equipped - the increased mob difficulty mixed with the increased inhospitality of the terrain are enough to scale the overall difficulty of the Nether to uncomfortable levels. If it's just a Vanilla Nether, I usually walk around like I own the place, so I come and go there whenever I feel the need.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah that's the thing, the wildlife that gets added to the nether can be very nasty in the early game.

Also Pigmen craziness with Nether Ores in the pack.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's the thing, the wildlife that gets added to the nether can be very nasty in the early game.

Also Pigmen craziness with Nether Ores in the pack.

From what I remember, Pigmen don't go apeshit if you use Silk Touch. I know for certain that Silk Touch prevents the Nether ores from exploding.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
I usually go to the nether once I've built my smeltery and grab some Quartz. I don't return until I have iron armor at least

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm much the same as @Xenulus - I don't tend to go in until I need something. Examples in recent gameplay would be that I waited until I needed prismarine before I ventured into the Nether - you can convert nether quartz into prismarine with the Atomic Reconstructor - that seemed a better idea than going exploring to find an ocean monument. I need to venture back to try and get my first 4 wither skeleton skulls - once I've got enough to make the seeds, that'll be it for trips to the Nether for me ;p Needless to say, I also made nether quartz seeds as soon as I could too.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
As soon as I have a diamond pickaxe, a pump and a barrel, I do a naked recon run and build a safehouse where I can pump lava to use a BC quarry to dig out a foundation for my main base. It's pretty much an hour 10 thing.

Edit: I make it safe by destroying the portal that generated when I first popped in and rebuilding it in the safehouse. After that, I can freely come back to fill buckets as long as I need until eventually building an ender-thermic pump with an ender tank

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I usually build my portal as soon as I get some form of Obsidian making/mining to see what kind of generation I get. If it's really crummy I wait until I have flight and some kind of portal/transporting so I can find a better Nether "home" to base from.

Reactions: Softwerker

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I usually build my portal as soon as I get some form of Obsidian making/mining to see what kind of generation I get. If it's really crummy I wait until I have flight and some kind of portal/transporting so I can find a better Nether "home" to base from.

This. I've had a lot of Nether generation that have no Fortresses for 500+ blocks.

I pop in, get my quartz and some blaze rods (thank you random Blaze spawns in the Nether) then I GTFO until I can fly.

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017

Yeah, same for me. For Example in Beyond I was forming my portal with water and lava, since I could not even mine Obsidian. Got in and out with a few blaze rods and Nether quartz to help my progression.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
N

NerpyDerpston

I only ever, in i mean EVER go in when i ABSOLUTELY need something there. With the mods out there it is not a safe place.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I'd like to be able to claim that I'm a speed running badass who goes in as soon as they have a bucket. Can't even mine the obsidian but shows up there anyway, loots everything, and then walks away wearing sunglasses.

Yup.

Can't though, you've all seen me play. I'll go anywhere else before the nether. I'll scrounge the twilight forest for tiny amounts of netherrack rather then go there.

Maybe I've just had one too many bad experiences with firebats, or red creepers, or hell wasps.

Lets face it, it's not like I don't know the tricks. There's so many ways to get immune to fire, IC2 let you do it trivially with the hazmat suit.

I just don't.

Give me even half a chance to avoid the nether, and I'm not going in.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Can't say I totally blame you. My first 15 attempts to do anything productive in there were nothing but frustration. But, I go in there mostly naked to scout and build a safe entryway right off the bat, then things aren't so bad.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Can't say I totally blame you. My first 15 attempts to do anything productive in there were nothing but frustration. But, I go in there mostly naked to scout and build a safe entryway right off the bat, then things aren't so bad.
Yeah, aside from the nether quartz as mentioned, the only other thing I was brave enough to finally venture in for was nether wart and blaze rods, and that was just so I could get enough to make Fire Resistance potions. After coming a-cropper to unexpected lava and a lag spike (very common with my potato of a laptop) I ended up cheating my few expensive things back in.

And coming onto @Drbretto's point, that's literally the first thing I do too - I go in naked, with a bunch of cobblestone, and try and make at least a 1 block thick shell all around the portal with room to walk in. Starting with a ceiling over the portal, then walls, then floor if I've got time. Later on I tend to shore this up, make the cobble a bit thicker.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Depends on the pack. I typically don't bother until I need something, at which point I don't bother waiting for any other requirement.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Although I understand the idea that you can't lose stuff you do t bring with you, I've always taken my trip to the Nether as a march into a warzone. I'm generally an offensive-defense guy, so I usually have a set of mismatched armor from mob drops, even if I rush building the portal. A bow is standard and I bring up to a stack of arrows if I can manage, but it's usually far less - infinity is one of the first overall enchantments I try for just to alleviate that need. I try not to carry in anything I can't replace, but sometimes you need that something special to get the job done, so it comes anyway.

Once in, take no prisoners. Murder anything that might be a threat while I shore up a shelter around the portal. Unlike @GamerwithnoGame , I build the floor first - too many times has my portal spawned on a one block thick layer of Netherrack, only to drop me to my death with a near miss Ghast fireball. Then, once the portal is secure, I can begin my raid for resources. Being naked might save the risk of losing the gear, but why do I have the gear if I'm not going to use it to try to extend my life expectancy? Besides, I can't go properly hunting if I'm not armed to the teeth. If I do die, it's part of the game - reequip and rearm, then back to avenge myself and recover the loot I went in for.

The Nether is like a wild dog - it can smell fear. If you aren't sure you're going to win a fight, you probably won't. Now grab a sword, a bow, and a pile of scrap armor and show that dimension who Player really is!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I should clarify. I go in naked except for a bow, some arrows, a pick and some disposable armor. Nothing I can't just lose if I felt like it.

Though, with modded minecraft, even that is hardly a problem because I'll never not use a gravestone method again. Which, sadly, nullifies the sense of danger I would get from vanilla minecraft, but also removes potential fist-holes in my wall.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame