When do you build a Gravi-chestplate/Quantum armor?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jacobsk

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, i noticed most people who make youtube series have gravi-chestplates but still have an underdeveloped base. When do you decide to build such an expensive piece of equipment? i built mine towards the end of my SP world so i did not get to use it that much.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I don't.

I never have used a gravi-chest or quantum armor. Mostly becuase I don't see a ton of use form it. I think the most I've ever done in the tech armor feild is Nano armor and MPS and even those two I did once and have not gone back to them since. It is just a play style thing. Some people like them others don't. Most just want to be unkillable, flying, mob murdering Mahcines and that is the easist way to do that.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
When you've built, killed, explored, mined, programmed, magic'd up, brewed, tamed, bred, farmed, grew, automated, smashed, smelted, fabricated, ridden, hunted, captured, transposed, powered, enchanted, teleported, conjured, sawed, wrenched, and expelled everything else.

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to get some sort of flight early, usually MPS recently. The Gravi-chest is pretty end tier for me, and even then, it's just to say I made it.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
As soon as I can. I hate the flight mechanics of MPS, and will only use it when I have no choice. If you're used to creative flight, MPS flight is goddamn frustrating.

One advantage I see of MPS over a Gravi-suit is it doesn't consume as much power on flight mode, which is useful for long explorations. Also, MPS has so much functionality, all it lacks is a kitchen sink.

But if we're talking of overall protection, Quantum/Gravi is still the way to go. I can't say the same thing for PVP servers though.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I hate the flight mechanics of MPS, and will only use it when I have no choice. If you're used to creative flight, MPS flight is goddamn frustrating.

Post 1.4.7 you can change the verticality setting for flight control in the tinker table. Putting it all the way one way (can't remember which) makes it like creative flight. The down button can be rebound in the vanilla keybind menu and pressing shift makes you move slower so precise movements are easier.

Reactions: Bigpak

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Post 1.4.7 you can change the verticality setting for flight control in the tinker table. Putting it all the way one way (can't remember which) makes it like creative flight. The down button can be rebound in the vanilla keybind menu and pressing shift makes you move slower so precise movements are easier.
Thank you. I will try that later.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
IC2 jetpack can be built quite early and it helps moving around a lot. Especially with mining laser. You are underground and want out? Fire straight up and jet away.

Mirality

Jul 29, 2019
Depends what sort of things you're doing. If you just want mobility, a jetpack or advanced jetpack, or basic MPS is perfectly sufficient for pretty much the whole game. If you're planning on doing a lot of building in midair (eg. void ages) then you might want something better.

I've actually never made a gravichestplate. I did make some quantum armour but pretty much only for jungle bees (helmet) and wither battles.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
You need...

• 200 Coal
  • 338 Redstone
  • 2 Glowstone
  • 98 Lapis Lazuli
  • 70 Diamonds
  • 9 Gold
  • 75 Force Shards (50 if you use 100 gold instead of 150 iron for them)
  • 315 Refined Iron
  • 150 Iron (465 if you include Refined Iron)
  • 324 Sand smelted into Glass
  • 84 Iridium (that's 588 UU-Matter)
  • 432 Rubber
  • 895 Tin
  • 692 Copper
Yep, not an early item to make.
I usually make adv. nano jetpack&nano armors, then make mass fab, make ult. solars, make quantum armors, then make gravichest.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I've only made the nano stuff so far, think this time (just started a new world) I'm gonna head the MPS route and give that a try. Gravichest is gonna be a WHILE

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing on a GT server, MPS is just as expensive as a GraviSuit. On non-gt servers the it's just no reason for me to make a gravi at all since MPS does everything and more for a LOT less material cost.

Russianranger

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who JUST (No literally, like 10 minutes before this post) made the GraviChestplate, I have to say it takes a lot of materials and a lot of patience. However, here is one way I found is easy to harvest not only the gratuitous amount of materials for it (tin, copper, iron, etc) but also the UU Matter. Now, keep in mind, I had made the Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel first, as its essential to this process.

1) Make an eternal daylight Mystcraft world. I made it a single biome Mushroom Island biome to keep pesky mobs away. (I managed to make it almost perfect, but I did have Hunger 3 going, probably due to bad writing)
2) Set up a 60x60 quarry area. I used a modified Electric Engine (with circuit board to increase output to 12MJ/t), this was powered by a *Hybrid Solar Panel*.
3) Set up 3 chests (preferably the obsidian chests due to massive storage size), use a diamond pipe to filter items. I usually specified bees into one chest, and left the second chest as my everything chest.
4) The third chest I specified to receive dirt, cobblestone, gravel. This is important, as this is your recycle chest.
5) From that chest, pipe items to 5 recyclers (which I powered via 2 Advanced Solar Panels).
6)Pipe each individual recycler to a seperate singlular chest (regular chests work for this). I have the recyclers all feed into one pipe that leads to the chest.
7) Scrap should now be pumped into that chest continuously.
8)Now pump the scrap out of that chest into a Mass Fabricator. This Mass Fab should be powered by the Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel.
9) Finally, make one last pipe from the Mass Fab into another, final wooden chest, to pump out the UU Matter.

Note on pipes: For powering the wooden pipes, here is what I did:

For cobble/dirt/gravel chest: 4 Redstone engines (you gotta be sure you pump stuff out at steady, but not too fast rate)
For recyclers: 1 Redstone engine for each wooden pipe, 5 total. (You'll never really have to worry about scrap overflow as the 1/8th chance of producing scrap keeps it minimal)
For Scrap chest: 2 redstone engines. (You won't have overflow at all, but it keeps the scrap continuously pumping to the mass fab)
For Mass Fab: 1 Redstone engine. The rate of UU matter production will never exceed the rate at which that pump can spit stuff out.

Also note on cobble/dirt/gravel chest to recycler piping: I have the pipe heading to the recyclers, but I also have it looping back to the chest to carry any overflow back. It will be pumped out again upon arrival.

And essentially, that's it. After going to sleep for the past 8 hours, I woke up to a wooden chest filled with 8.5 stacks of UU Matter. Is this the most efficient route? Most likely not. Is it relatively easy to accomplish? After the initial grind to get the Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel, yes. And obviously feel free to improvise on any of these things. I do feel its necessary to mention that the 12MJ/t output on the electrical engine is ideal. If you supercharge the quarry to 50MJ/t, you could find overflow problems with the chest without upgrading those engines.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, i noticed most people who make youtube series have gravi-chestplates but still have an underdeveloped base. When do you decide to build such an expensive piece of equipment? i built mine towards the end of my SP world so i did not get to use it that much.

Some of them cheat---and by cheat I mean the NEI mode, I'm not passing judgement---them in early on because flight makes for much quicker building, which in turn makes for usually better youtube videos. Can't say as I blame them, flight is always my first major goal in a new world.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
As soon as I have to build underwater. I go for the advanced nano jetpack and stick with it, but building underwater is just frustrating without a gravichest. It makes you move fast, you don't get pulled by water flow, and you then have the headpiece for breathing.