When 1.5 comes out..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well a standardized ore addition mod sounds nice but it would require that all the mod authors agree on generation for the ores though which could be a problem since not all mods want to use the same balance of ore generation, like factorization's silver ore generation. At least with thermal expansion we can alter the generation to 1 ore type, though it doesn't matter once you start putting it in machines.
Well, some mods do fall outside the "established norm" with ore generation but there is another massive benefit to a standardised ore generation system and block IDs.

How much code is in each mod telling it how to behave with other mods ores? The number of repeat textures for the same object. Both code and images are wasted resources, which actually slow down the game. All that could be stripped making the mods even more optimised. I'd rather the mod makers spend their time developing the mods, not worrying about generating resources and compatibility. MC mods are slowly heading down this route, what with Forge.

This "Ore World Gen" mod could also include dusts, tools, armour, blocks, etc. Again, all the basic stuff you could make with those materials, instead of it being dependant on particular mods to add Silver Weapons, Copper armour, etc, etc.

AlfieSR

Jul 29, 2019
The comparator can also function as a magical inventory detector, and emits a redstone signal based on how full said inventory it.
Trapped chests emit a redstone signal when someone opens item (very low strength signal).
Trapped chests also have a slightly different texture, so only idiots actually fall for it, but with magic inventory detectors any chest/dispenser/furnace ect can be wired up.
(which made trapped chests almost a 100% redundant feature)
-actually no, I have a bad feeling other people are going to start arguing over this if I make a counterargument at all-

Reactions: Morvelaira

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'd rather the mod makers spend their time developing the mods, not worrying about generating resources and compatibility. MC mods are slowly heading down this route, what with Forge..

You have no idea how true that is.
Once it gets to the point where compatibility is the main focus opposed to gameplay, and the mod authors are answering/pandering to the public the net result is something rather dilute and tasteless.
If every mod added every-which-way of doing everything, there would be very little left for gameplay, challenge and design.

This is something that's continually plagued vMC since Notch stepped down (especially when it comes to pandering and nerfing anything that takes a bit of time/effort), and it looks like Forge and Co. are heading the same way.
Already several major mods that functioned fine as a standalone now need a few prerequisite mods in order to use their full (and sometimes default) functions.​
Even before then so much time was invested making everything super compatible it diluted the mods to the point when I wouldn't play them as a standalone.

(I have nothing against cross compatibility, its awesome when mods work together. Just don't let it take away from your design and gameplay.)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, it feels like Mojang is way behind. The 'Redstone Update'? Still not as good (not even close) as RedPower 2. Their planned changes for minecarts? I just caught a little of it, but what I heard sounds like a really old beta version of Railcraft. In my opinion, they should just focus on cosmetic changes, like fireworks and whatnot, and let the modders build the game for them. Well, I guess they have to keep the XBox crowd happy. Be nice if Microsoft didn't make it financially impractical to add mods on their system.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Honestly, it feels like Mojang is way behind. The 'Redstone Update'? Still not as good (not even close) as RedPower 2. Their planned changes for minecarts? I just caught a little of it, but what I heard sounds like a really old beta version of Railcraft. In my opinion, they should just focus on cosmetic changes, like fireworks and whatnot, and let the modders build the game for them. Well, I guess they have to keep the XBox crowd happy. Be nice if Microsoft didn't make it financially impractical to add mods on their system.

To be honest they should stop development in general and just focus on bugfixing and a general API.

I daresay 1.5 will completly f*ck redpower. Possibly.

Redpower has it own (superior) logic systems and wiring. All the mod features will work fine, though they probably wont mesh as well with the new vanilla junk.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it looks like the butchered SSP/SMP code and all the ridiculous internal server stuff in the name of 'progress' was in fact a waste of time.
Don't you just love having server related lag and crashes in SSP now?

The comparator can also function as a magical inventory detector, and emits a redstone signal based on how full said inventory it.
Trapped chests emit a redstone signal when someone opens item (very low strength signal).
Trapped chests also have a slightly different texture, so only idiots actually fall for it, but with magic inventory detectors any chest/dispenser/furnace ect can be wired up.
(which made trapped chests almost a 100% redundant feature)

Jup, I hated it when they turned SSP into SMP, including copying over all the issues and bugs that plague it. Though I have to say I'm now used to it and don't really care anymore, the only thing I still dislike is the slowness of chunk loading or chunks not loading at all sometimes, but that really only is an issue at startup and if you travel very fast (walking or similar speeds have no issues at all for me). All in all our MC experience got worse though compared to how it used to be.

As for trapped chests being redundant. I hate to say it (out of fear of an argument which I don't want to start), but to think the MC modding community is the only MC community is horribly narrow minded and just because that means you consider something useless or redundant that doesn't mean others will see it that way as well. In vanilla MC it's nice (think about adventure maps for example, noob traps are still traps, every map has them) and even if you don't use the redstone aspect they will allow you to have chests next to each other which we (the modding/modded community) can only do thanks to iron chest and stuff. Last time I checked more storage in less space is always great, especially in vanilla.

I also don't agree they should stop developing or stick with decoration, again that's a very narrow minded way to look at the MC community as a whole. Just because the modded community gets little to nothing out of these changes that doesn't mean the vanilla community dislikes them as well. And for me the continued development is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to MC, if they stop I'm sure many people will stop playing on a more permanent basis. You might not care, but it's also the fact that people play the game that keeps modders around. People don't mod games which no one else plays, or at least not at the scale MC mods are done.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind at all they add new content to the base game, in fact I think it's a great thing.

Like I posted before though- there isn't any sense of direction of what they want to do with the game. It just seems so random...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Adventure content seems to be their current focus, but there's not a clear path that we can see to their overall goal.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main reason they're not going down 1 path is because they want to add stuff for everyone. A modder can pick a theme and stick with it, because anyone who doesn't like it can just bugger off and ignore the mod. Mojang on the other hand has to appeal to everyone who plays their game, so they go with an unfocused approach which looks kinda random, but adds something for everyone.

At least that's the best reason I can come up with why they appear to be so random about adding stuff.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
The next Update i am waiting for is the texture pack update (is it 1.5? or later). No more need to patch the game, hope the Optifine is available for the right forge version..... To use a texture pack i like.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Lol do you expect them to build vanilla around the mods? They're building a standalone product. This stuff they're adding is actually really useful for vanilla users.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
The SSP/SMP merge was a great thing for modding; now, modders don't have to do double the work to make their mods SMP-compatible, for one, leaving them more time to create awesome content for us to enjoy.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019
Jup, I hated it when they turned SSP into SMP, including copying over all the issues and bugs that plague it. Though I have to say I'm now used to it and don't really care anymore, the only thing I still dislike is the slowness of chunk loading or chunks not loading at all sometimes, but that really only is an issue at startup and if you travel very fast (walking or similar speeds have no issues at all for me). All in all our MC experience got worse though compared to how it used to be.

This might be true for those who only play single player, but it's great for the rest of us. Being able to use mods like thaumcraft, the full version of buildcraft, as well as logistics pipes (eventually) with my friends, and not having features of mods that're just broken or missing in multiplayer is really nice. Before this many mod makers simply never bothered to add SMP support because they didn't want to do double the work. Now they don't have to. I'll take some hiccups in my single player worlds any day to be able to use all the features I've now got access to when my friends are around.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Because of the merge, minecraft is more CPU-enemy and the rendering engine is screwed up... Instead of being backwards.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
While I don't really pay attention, Minecraft is a sandbox game, mods are just more things to play around with, really.