When 1.5 comes out..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I know it will be a while yet,

However vanilla minecraft is adding an ore to the nether.

Does anybody plan on regenerating their nether after?

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I've learned to take screenshots and not get too attached to my worlds. It sucks having to reset maps but ultimately it's worth it to have an ever evolving game.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
1.5 update so far doesn't add anything that you can't already do with the mods. So, no real point to update yet.
Only real difference is redstone signal strength, but I can't for the life of me think of any useful use for it atm.

Maybe in the near future some of the mods will use this new Nether Ore instead of their own generated overworld ore. Would help limit all the variations and nearly pointless ores out there.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
1.5 update so far doesn't add anything that you can't already do with the mods. So, no real point to update yet.
Only real difference is redstone signal strength, but I can't for the life of me think of any useful use for it atm.

Maybe in the near future some of the mods will use this new Nether Ore instead of their own generated overworld ore. Would help limit all the variations and nearly pointless ores out there.
I kind of agree with you on that point. It would be great if vanilla mc had silver/tin/aluminium/copper/etc. Would greatly simplify a lot of unnecessarily complicated things.

Unfortunately- it doesn't seem they have a real vision of what they want minecraft to look like in the future. Each update they seem to add some random "stuff" which seems to not be related to any other "stuff".

Actually, what I'd really like to see is more water life. Just having squids is kinda boring and leaves so much potential for expansion completely untouched.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I probably won't regenerate my nether, since as of now there is only the comparator and daylight sensor that use it, and mods cover the sensor and the comparator is all about the new distance based redstone and I like redpower ally wiring, which I hope doesn't get broken in the update making it take forever. Water life I could get behind though, so much of our worlds are ocean if you use some of the third party mapping tools to look at them like amidst, vanilla of course but all the same, and there is just no reason to ever explore it, or want to be part of it. We have respiration enchants and aqua affinity to mine under water, but we lack any reason to do so aside from short bursts to get clay.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
On the subject of Ores, I believe that all the major mod makers should get together to make a standardised World Gen mod for Ores, and all their mods (and any others) refer to this mod. If a mod needs specific "weird" ores, then they add it.

The Ore Directory/Dictionary thing is good and all, but doesn't really address the key issue.

A waterlife update would be good. Needs more down in those depths.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well a standardized ore addition mod sounds nice but it would require that all the mod authors agree on generation for the ores though which could be a problem since not all mods want to use the same balance of ore generation, like factorization's silver ore generation. At least with thermal expansion we can alter the generation to 1 ore type, though it doesn't matter once you start putting it in machines.

In other news: http://i.imgur.com/SKKeO.png
Jeb tweeted a picture of some quartz block tests he was doing and I like it.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
I think a unified ore gen, while a brilliant idea, is unfortunately unrealistic, as Itharian stated, mods have different needs for each ore,so balancing the amount of ores would be insane. I think the ore gen in DireWolf's pack works quite nicely using TE ore gen. Plus we do have the forge lexicon to switch the ingot types.

Oh and I agree completely with an ocean update, those things are so boring at the moment, wasn't there a coral mod a while back that added a bit of life to the oceans? I remember it was rather beautiful when added with a transparent water mod, did it fall out of support? Oh and I know Notch did originally intend to have the fish as a mob, but then in the end just added it as an item.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Like others said, mods still cover the thing the Nether ore does so far so I probably won't bother. Also, I might add Mystcraft and see if I can get some of those ores that way if I really want/need them.
Regening the Nether is at the bottom of my list and I will probably start a new world sooner than I would do that.

I agree with water life. I would also like to see things like bugs and other small creatures just crawling around though. And don't forget birds.
In terms of wild life the handful of animals we've got now doesn't really cut it, by a long shot xD For me not every animal/creature has to have a use though, for me it's more about giving the idea the world is alive and not just filled with noisy farm animals xD

Also, quartz looks awesome. I'm quite looking forward to the 1.5 update actually, it seems like a lot of new content is being added and I'm not seeing the big issue with the Redstone changes. At least we're getting a lot of cool stuff in return, especially for vanilla players it looks like fully automated farms are finally becoming a realistic option.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice if the FOD went a step further, and replaced every block/item in the world matching the same dictionary entry with a single representative item automatically on the fly (during worldgen, and also outputs of machines). I don't know how hard that would be to code in though.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
They're just tripping balls on adding more and more power to redstone and devices with zero regard for any kind of underlying design, internal consistency, or anything at all really.

The hopper is what bugs me, how does it pull out of inventories and pipe things sideways? Classic example of Mojang taking a cool mod idea, and killing it.

This one is my personal favourite, nice to know you went to all the effort of making a trapped chest- then undermine it with this functionality in the same update.

Nether quartz, its not as though we had several other near useless ores in vMC that could fulfil the redstone mechanics, why do we need another? Nether gameplay?- this is just another smash and grab resource that adds little reason to STAY in the nether.
(There was one reason to stay, but they killed that by making netherwart grow in the overworld)​
Essentially it's turned the nether into just another mining trip for the sake of something pretty.

Don't you just love how Mojang now treats everyone's worlds as disposable?

and still no mod API, the one thing Dinnerbone was hired to do and we still don't have it. Their not even giving an ETA for it anymore. (so its probably not going to happen).

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
The Mod API is pretty much a pipe dream at this point, I've stopped waiting for it. I have marble, so nether quartz is absolutely useless.

[quote="Celestialphoenix, post: 78429, member: 2906"}This one is my personal favourite, nice to know you went to all the effort of making a trapped chest- then undermine it with this functionality in the same update.[/quote]

Care to elaborate? I haven't looked at the new stuff yet, so this sentence has me very confused.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
That picture has a normal chest with a comparator behind it, it is outputting a signal based on the amount of inventory filled in the chest. Which is different than what a trapped chest does, since it outputs a single based on the number of players looking at the inventory. The comparator function is useful for vanilla, except for the shear size of a build it would require to use effectively, and the trapped chest function is more of an adventure/ctm map item.

Reactions: Entropy

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Which is different than what a trapped chest does, since it outputs a single based on the number of players looking at the inventory.
I didn't know that! This could make for a very nice movie-like base self-destruct system: three people have to right-click the chest at the same time, and a nuke goes off.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The Mod API is pretty much a pipe dream at this point, I've stopped waiting for it. I have marble, so nether quartz is absolutely useless.
Yeah, it looks like the butchered SSP/SMP code and all the ridiculous internal server stuff in the name of 'progress' was in fact a waste of time.
Don't you just love having server related lag and crashes in SSP now?

[quote="Celestialphoenix, post: 78429, member: 2906"}This one is my personal favourite, nice to know you went to all the effort of making a trapped chest- then undermine it with this functionality in the same update.

Care to elaborate? I haven't looked at the new stuff yet, so this sentence has me very confused.

The comparator can also function as a magical inventory detector, and emits a redstone signal based on how full said inventory it.
Trapped chests emit a redstone signal when someone opens item (very low strength signal).
Trapped chests also have a slightly different texture, so only idiots actually fall for it, but with magic inventory detectors any chest/dispenser/furnace ect can be wired up.
(which made trapped chests almost a 100% redundant feature)

Reactions: Entropy

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the new additions dating back to before the "adventure" update (which made food mandatory) have seemed random and directionless.

That's why I started liking the moded mc better. The mods change over time as well, but they at least have a theme and mostly stick to it :)

Reactions: Confidential1207