Whats your rig for ftb?

LuRcH 1992

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys I'm soon going to be looking into getting new hardware for my pc and was wondering what kind of thing I should be looking for.

I am currently running with a celeron d 2.2ghz duel processor, nvidia geforce 9600 gt gpu and gigabyte ga-g31m motherboard with 4gb ddr2 ram. With this I cant even play FTB as I get about 10FPS on lowest settings.

I believe these are the main components for gaming but if I have missed anything just point it out :)

A few examples of what you guys use would be good or places to buy cheap hardware (UK) would be better.

I havent really thought about what I want yet as I don't really know what will be compatible with each other

I really want to be be able to finally enjoy FTB soon so your input will be a great help to me

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
Get a desktop, that's my best advice really. 4gbs of ram will do, but 6 or 8 are good to have.
Go with intel processor, i5/i7 preferably

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I have an AMD FX8350 CPU (8-core, 4Ghz before Overclocking which I haven't done)
running on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with 8GB ram
My video is an eVGA 9600 GT

I also have a 1TB hard drive and use a Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse with a Corsair Vengeance K95 keyboard.

My advice if cost is a concern is to look at CPUs with an eye towards the cost/performance ratio. Intel currently has the fastest CPU available to consumers but I've seen the difference in price between top-of-the-line AMD and Intel CPUs as great as $800 USD recently ($200 and $1000, respectively), and that doesn't take in mainboard price differences.

Running single player, after I turned off vSync, I'm seeing frame rates over 120 constantly on this hardware.

My system would run about $750-ish for the parts listed above, not counting case and monitor.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
For $750 you could get something a hell of a lot faster than that, that video card is like 5 generations old.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
For $750 you could get something a hell of a lot faster than that, that video card is like 5 generations old.

My video card works fine with all my apps. Why spend money if I don't have to?

Also, that $750 was the cost I spent over the past 3 years or so upgrading one piece a year, since I haven't had steady work in a while.

My most recent purchase was the FX8350 at $200 in September, and was then the top AMD chip. A top of the line I7 was listing at $1000 at the time.

I'm much happier with a system that in it's entirety, including case, monitor and OS cost about the same as some people's CPU chip, and with the same performance on the apps I use.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
My video card works fine with all my apps. Why spend money if I don't have to?

Also, that $750 was the cost I spent over the past 3 years or so upgrading one piece a year, since I haven't had steady work in a while.

My most recent purchase was the FX8350 at $200 in September, and was then the top AMD chip. A top of the line I7 was listing at $1000 at the time.

I'm much happier with a system that in it's entirety, including case, monitor and OS cost about the same as some people's CPU chip, and with the same performance on the apps I use.

Sorry, when I said $750 could get something a lot faster, that was supposed to mean if you spent $750 on a completely new machine right now.

shockwave95

Jul 29, 2019
I5 3570k
MSI GTX 660ti OC
16gb of ram 4 for ftb

With this I get around 200 FPS if I don't limit it with optifine.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I7 3.4 quad core
GeForce 670
16gb ram, with 8 to my main modded instance (i use vanilla launcher with about 100 mods so..), 4 to everything else even vanilla
SSD primary drive with 4 other drives between 50 and 500 gigs spread between 1 sata, 1 IDE, 1 USB and 1 over an external IDE hub. Only windows is on the primary, everything else is separated to a programs drive.

This gets me more than enough performance for any published pack, it does; however, chug on my custom pack but I think that's more to do with the types of mods in there than the actual machine, as it does the same no matter what I shut off or have running. This also let me record one instance with OBS and play another at the same time which I've never been able to do.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Well my rig is a little insane wasn't built to play FTB.

Intel i7 3770K
2x Asus GTX 660ti OC (SLI)
16Gb Ram
600gb Velocity Raptor & 3x 750 (Raid 5)

I don't have any problems playing any FTB pack. I can even have the server and client's running at the same time. :)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Mine:
i5 4570
16GB ram
GTX660
128GB SSD primary
Runs a heavily modded client like butter, has some issues with excessive builds (mass tile entities in the same chunk, I'm talking 50 or so multi-blocks\machines\pipes etc) when running SSP, everything maxed.

Kids 1:
E6750
6GB ram
9600GT
Runs a heavily modded client fine, does not handle excessive builds at all well, can do it but...

Kids 2:
P4 (of some description)
2GB ram
8600GT
Runs a heavily modded client okish, does not run a heavily modded SSP at all well.

Server:
E4500
8GB ram
onboard vid (who cares)
Runs a heavily modded server with no issues except for dimension hopping (Twilight Forest can cause other clients to disconect when loading in for the first time) and a bit of block lag if someone's exploring.

Running 64 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit java (apart from Kids 2 WinXP 32 bit) that was one of the best upgrades I could have made 64 bit java made a huge difference.

Mathragh

Jul 29, 2019
AMD FX 8120 at 4,6GHz
Corsair H100i
Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 at 1990MHz 9-10-10-29
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
AMD Radeon HD7950
Samsung 830 128GB + 3x Seagate 320GB 7200RPM in raid 0

I must say, it really is a joy to run minecraft with 4xEQ supersampling forced on, stuff just looks way smoother.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
My rig:

oil_rig.98212623-deepwater-horizon.jpg
On a serious note, I have a integrated AMD Radeon 7470, which is really crap. It runs fine with no lag, but it crashes very often. Not exactly sure why, but I am gonna add a dedicated gpu in the near future. Possibly a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 or 580, or something higher up the line for a ery close price (havent done research on new cards)
That's the only thing I can remember off my desktop PC. Right now I'm posting this on my Mac, which is crap for FTB, but it is still manageable to play.

Take a look at eVGA boards. They used to sell boards for both ATI and nVidia, and the higher end boards have (or used to have) lifetime replacements. My last two cards have actually been upgrades via replacement of dead cards... I haven't had to buy a new video card in over 10 years.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
My rig:

On a serious note, I have a integrated AMD Radeon 7470, which is really crap. It runs fine with no lag, but it crashes very often. Not exactly sure why, but I am gonna add a dedicated gpu in the near future. Possibly a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 or 580, or something higher up the line for a ery close price (havent done research on new cards)
That's the only thing I can remember off my desktop PC. Right now I'm posting this on my Mac, which is crap for FTB, but it is still manageable to play.

Just remember your power supply has to have enough wattage to run the new video card. GTX 570's and 580's are quite old at this point and can be found for between $125 and $200. You would probably be better off buying a GTX 760 or 770. A lot of crypto-currencies are easily mined by AMD cards, so they are constantly bought for this mining, causing huge price spikes.