whats your nuclear reactor lay-out?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
just wondering what everyones layout looks like.
so far i have this
8L9kN.jpg

its a mark 1, 360eu/t

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...0cymxgf2pnjq1sj1lfjejm432hsz8jfl1wd2l3glyeozk

Does 2040 eu/tick, but would require a lot of lapis to maintain. I got it set up with timers and stuff so it don't get to hot. Temperature doesn't go up to much, and usually only when swapping fresh lzh condensators for the damaged ones. But since I started using impulse itemducts it's way better.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zosej60gni1v43gpl1tbgfi4b5aegn1xm1m2f4c8b8s8w

This one is 2600 eu/tick, and again requires a lot of lapis to maintain, but if you don't have the power needs, I'd go for something a bit more conservative. But for keeping it cool I'd stick a few more quad's in there and use the LZH's (depending on your lapis supplies).

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...0cymxgf2pnjq1sj1lfjejm432hsz8jfl1wd2l3glyeozk

Does 2040 eu/tick, but would require a lot of lapis to maintain. I got it set up with timers and stuff so it don't get to hot. Temperature doesn't go up to much, and usually only when swapping fresh lzh condensators for the damaged ones. But since I started using impulse itemducts it's way better.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zosej60gni1v43gpl1tbgfi4b5aegn1xm1m2f4c8b8s8w

This one is 2600 eu/tick, and again requires a lot of lapis to maintain, but if you don't have the power needs, I'd go for something a bit more conservative. But for keeping it cool I'd stick a few more quad's in there and use the LZH's (depending on your lapis supplies).

daum so much power but so much lapiz. i like to keep my plans down to just cooling cells and vents. and stay under mark 3

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
daum so much power but so much lapis. i like to keep my plans down to just cooling cells and vents. and stay under mark 3

This is true, it is a lot of lapis, but I got tons. That, and I got MFFS lasers, and UU matter so I got ways to supplement my lapis income. The added power does come at a premium.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
maxresdefault.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1400064883][/DOUBLEPOST]Produces a couple million RF.
Looks like some of the rings in top-left aren't pointed correctly; optical illusion?

Beyond, you're a silly silly person for posting this here and mocking the poor IC2 folks with their little reactor outputs :p

Reactions: Padfoote

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like some of the rings in top-left aren't pointed correctly; optical illusion?

Beyond, you're a silly silly person for posting this here and mocking the poor IC2 folks with their little reactor outputs :p
It had to be done.
And yes, some of the rings aren't pointed right and there is neutrons flying everywhere. Two problems that will be fixed soon.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
meh i like my ic2 reactor
that other one looks like its to much trouble for what its worth.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm almost of the same opinion; I have enough power for my needs without one, so why bother?

Then again though, "its worth" is actually more power than us and all our buddies combined are likely to ever use. Reika frames it as a "community" project, so at least the trouble should be spread out a bit :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That particular aspect of the mod (a fusion reactor in ReactorCraft), you could argue is more of a server mod for groups, yes.

But it comes with "more sensible" reactors as well. A regular small fission reactor filled with simple water and running a single turbine outputs around 950,000,000W, which still blows away anything outside of ReactorCraft, including BigReactors and IC2, by a very large margin.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Less you got power converters or something (which i'm not sure is updated for 1.6.4) like that would be kinda pointless since he's wanting IC power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Less you got power converters or something (which i'm not sure is updated for 1.6.4) like that would be kinda pointless since he's wanting IC power.
Agreed; we got a bit sidelined there. Unfortunately for the OP, I think IC2 reactors are somewhat less in fashion than they used to be*, so responses may be limited; other mods feature larger multi-block nuclear-power structures that some players find more appealing.

This is of course completely notwithstanding that IC2 reactors set the groundwork for most current similar projects.

*Given that they can explode and require cheatsheets for half-decent ones, they were never super-popular to begin with compared to tree farms/coal/biofuel.

PS: there are other roundabout ways of converting to EU, often involving lava generation etc :)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
More trouble then it's worth? This reactor can power a base full of overclocked gregtech machines, 10 MFR laser drills, and UU matter production, and you still won't be touching even a fraction of its capabilities.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
More trouble then it's worth? This reactor can power a base full of overclocked gregtech machines, 10 MFR laser drills, and UU matter production, and you still won't be touching even a fraction of its capabilities.

Side question, How does reactorcraft/rotarycraft (i think that is what you're using) convert to the eu power system?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft have between them two blocks to transform from rotary-power to RF:
The Rotational Dynamo (up to approximately 12k RF/T)
The Turbine Generator (I think its called, and it has no maximum conversion)

There are different ways to convert RF to EU. Engineer's Toolbox I think has a block that does it. You can also use RF to create lava (magmatic crucible or some such) and then use that power in one of the IC2 Generators (Thermal Generators, etc).