What's with all the super sized mod packs

• Thread starter Weldon MacDonald
  • Start date
  • Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
W

Weldon MacDonald

For the third time in a row I tried to start a pack only to have it bog down when loading JEI and the 1/4 million items in the pack. Why does everything have to have 200 mods?????

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I large like kitchen sink packs like Stoneblock and All the Mods personally. You can edit a pack to your liking or if you like to play online, you have to pick a pack that is on the lighter side.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Honestly Kitchen sinks are designed to be trimmed down. (Or machete'd smaller.) All them being in a pack means is someone's gone through and made sure they'll all play nicely.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Need a theme or design intention for that sort of thing. On the other hand, MC treats everything as a mod, so that 200 mods is probably 150 and 50 libraries.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Once you've played one kitchen sink pack, you've kind of played them all.

The problem with including booth IC2 AND ThermalExpansion AND EnderIO AND [whatever...] is that you'll end up combining the most powerful/easiest components of each of those mods and ignore the rest. The ignored parts are effectively bloat that wastes memory and adds pages to JEI.
And in each kitchen sink pack you'll end up doing more or less the same thing. Progression or "stages" only delay.

And an even bigger tragedy; Both CoFH and EnderIO mods are modular, allowing you to mix and mach, you can use Thermal with Conduits or EnderIO machines with ThermalDynamics. However... I've seen no mod pack making use of this. They always include all the modules.

I think more focused packs can be more interesting. And It *can* be done!

Take the "Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons" modpack for example. It has much less than 200 mods, and it plays very different from kitchen sink packs. (But even R.A.D. is bloated, there are some really pointless mods in there. In the most recent update, the author removed one, but I think he can remove more)

An other example is Ultimate Alchemy Exam. Less than 100 mods. Still plays much like a skyblock pack, except faster paced. Very fun little pack.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. If you play large packs, especially the packs I like, (Stoneblock, All the Mods) you just turn on the loading and go use the restroom.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Not sure what you're getting at here. Java Minecraft is always on PC anyway, and I have a modest little beast and it still takes me forever to load a pack, too.
Try adding the mod VanillaFix. That drastically improves performance and load times.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I had that on there for a bit but it was breaking something else I need. I *think* it was both the replay mod AND Vivecraft. :(

I'm not complaining about the load times, though. I was just pointing out that it's nothing to do with the "PC Master race" (or more specifically system specs). It does move faster on my rig than some of my friends' but I don't think that's anything more than the SSD, and it still takes a few minutes no matter what.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
My new pc has it's first ever SSD and I can confirm it has no impact on loading minecraft.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I had that on there for a bit but it was breaking something else I need. I *think* it was both the replay mod AND Vivecraft. :(

I'm not complaining about the load times, though. I was just pointing out that it's nothing to do with the "PC Master race" (or more specifically system specs). It does move faster on my rig than some of my friends' but I don't think that's anything more than the SSD, and it still takes a few minutes no matter what.

The SSD helps quite a bit but the correct amount of ram helps too. Also, I use a utility called "FuzeDrive" to combine 1GB ram, 128GB SSD and 4TB hard drive into an enterprise-style tiered storage volume that's not as fast as SSD but much faster than HDD.

The other day I downloaded and tried to run "Stonecraft 2" , which took over 10 minutes before I quit after I noticed the status bar overflowed the ram limit of 4GB.

After I reconfigured the launcher to use my usual 8GB allocation for 1.12 packs "Stonecraft 2" fully loaded and started in under 5 minutes.

By the way, I have 16GB installed so the system never gets starved for ram.

Siddyf

Sep 28, 2016
Im going to point out some of you and on a bunch of other threads around here that you are griping, on a forum that hosts large modpacks, about the size of large modpacks. How about I go to a forum where they host small modpacks and gripe about modpacks being too small. Make sense? you can get triggered by my post all you like thats on you.