Whats THE modpack for me?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Xariez

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

I have without a doubt spent alot on time on minecraft vanilla, but also so on modpacks. Today however, something hit my mind and I would love if any of you guys could help me out!

For those of you who know what Mianite is, if you have watched season 2 you know just about what I'm looking for. However, for those who don't, heres a few things I'd love if it would be in the modpack. Either on FTB, or on another launcher (if naming other launchers in the replies is against rules, then just skip over this one. No one needs to get in trouble for a post like this!)

• Tinkers Construct - Do i really need to explain why?
  • Taint - Okay. Im not sure what mod this is from, and i know it sound weird, but it really in my opinion adds a much more "Oh sh*t!" aspect to it all when building things.
  • Various machines (AE, BC, etc..) - So im not sure what these mods consist of, but when you start looking at different pipes, automation machines, ME systems, pulverizers, more advanced furnaces! OOuuh yeah!
  • That one block mod - There isnt a mod called this, literally, of what I am aware. However, I know for a fact that theres a block, atleast in some modpacks in TechnicLauncher that lets you throw in stuff there to "convert" it to one or another block, depending on what it "grades" up to. Has a rather huge interface, aswell.
  • Pams Harvestcraft or similar mods adding plants/more stuff to overworld - So, im not a huge fan of mods like Lycanites mobs or something. Because I almost literally shit my pants when i see something 10 blocks tall come up behind me, hell, even although it would just be a creeper, even worse if a fire creeper or something similar. But something like this, that can let you get more types of food in your chests would be nice!
  • The mods that adds Diamond/Gold/Iron chests and whatnot
  • The mod that adds dungeons. Not necessarely the ones stretching out a million blocks, but ones thats just about a 10x10 room with a few spawners and a chest in the middle.
  • Forestry
  • Redwood trees (or whatever they are called)
Cheers everyone for your time! And as a last note before I go, if it would be easier to just put together one myself, does anyone have any ideas how to start off with a own pack?

Regards,
Xariez

Reactions: The Snipe

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Best to start with the Direwolf20 pack, its already got most of that stuff except the dungeons and harvestcraft. Taint is from Thaumcraft btw.

Personally I would disable a few mods like IC2, factoriztion, pneumaticraft and add a few like Mekanism, Enhanced Portals and Magical Crops.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Best to start with the Direwolf20 pack, its already got most of that stuff except the dungeons and harvestcraft. Taint is from Thaumcraft btw.

Personally I would disable a few mods like IC2, factoriztion, pneumaticraft and add a few like Mekanism, Enhanced Portals and Magical Crops.
I'm gonna regret derailing us a bit here, but: I get IC2 and factorization, they're a bit out of date. But pneumaticcraft is sparkling new with lots of unusual mechanics, including a rather unique crafting system. While its not particularly useful for day-to-day stuff, it has some sweet toys (the helmet in particular) and the drone programming is absolutely brilliant. Players who haven't seen it before and like tech will want to take a look.

Yes, you said "personally" :)

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
  • The mod that adds dungeons. Not necessarely the ones stretching out a million blocks, but ones thats just about a 10x10 room with a few spawners and a chest in the middle.
I think that particular dungeon comes from Vanilla Minecraft, and the spawner is usually in the middle with two chests about it. I agree with epid here, the DW20 pack seems to cover most of what you asking. Main exception seems to be that one block mod, which I'm not entirely sure what you trying to describe with. Maybe ProectE or EE3?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna regret derailing us a bit here, but: I get IC2 and factorization, they're a bit out of date. But pneumaticcraft is sparkling new with lots of unusual mechanics, including a rather unique crafting system. While its not particularly useful for day-to-day stuff, it has some sweet toys (the helmet in particular) and the drone programming is absolutely brilliant. Players who haven't seen it before and like tech will want to take a look.

Yes, you said "personally" :)

Yeah you are probably right about pneumaticcraft.

Reactions: Pyure

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think that particular dungeon comes from Vanilla Minecraft, and the spawner is usually in the middle with two chests about it. I agree with epid here, the DW20 pack seems to cover most of what you asking. Main exception seems to be that one block mod, which I'm not entirely sure what you trying to describe with. Maybe ProectE or EE3?

It just has to be ProjectE hes talking about.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
My logically considered response to the OP:

Technically, all the FtB packs are "the best one for you". It's your job to check them out and see which you like best. You can ask others their opinions but ultimately it's up to you.

I've played the DW20 packs since the 1.6 version, simply because Direwolf20 releases regular YouTube videos using the latest version of the pack that make good tutorials.

I also try any new packs to see what they offer in the way of differences, such as the new Infinity pack released yesterday (2/6/15). BTW, the newly released (and included) version of "Fastcraft" was well worth enabling on my system... I went from about 40FPS to average 60-140FPS... Of course, results will vary based on factors such as understanding your OS and Java version requirements, storage media maintenance and what secondary apps to run/not run concurrently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hambeau's response is excellent. The only thing I'll add is that its easier than ever these days to tweak a given modpack, especially in FTB. If DW20 is missing something you love, its often as simple as downloading the jar and dropping it into the mods folder.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Hambeau's response is excellent. The only thing I'll add is that its easier than ever these days to tweak a given modpack, especially in FTB. If DW20 is missing something you love, its often as simple as downloading the jar and dropping it into the mods folder.
I tend to grab a kitchen sink pack, play with it a little, then disable stuff that I don't care about/won't use to try and regain a bit of performance.

Xariez

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all so much for your replies! Really enjoyed it! For anyone that would still ask this, my pack of choice would have been Direwolf20. Once again, thank you all for the discussion, and even although suggestions are still welcome I have made my choice! :)

Regards,
Xariez

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I like to start with DW20 pack as a base, remove all the mods that might give my poor little laptop problems or that I have no interest in playing (about half the pack), then add the mods not already in the pack that I really want to use. Just know that if you do this with the launcher set on recommended version, you have to do it over every time the pack updates. I set the launcher to a fixed version # & update the individual mods myself.

Most of what you describe is already in DW20, but the one block thing sounds like projectE. There are some mods that just add smaller dungeons if the vanilla ones aren't frequent enough for you. I like FloatingRuins for that sort of thing. Most of the adventure themed packs you see played on YouTube seem to throw in 4 or 5 dungeon mods & 2 or 3 hostile mob mods, so it can be tough figuring out which is which.

The giant redwoods come from Natura, but Biomes O Plenty adds its own redwood forest biome.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I like to start with DW20 pack as a base, remove all the mods that might give my poor little laptop problems or that I have no interest in playing (about half the pack), then add the mods not already in the pack that I really want to use. Just know that if you do this with the launcher set on recommended version, you have to do it over every time the pack updates. I set the launcher to a fixed version # & update the individual mods myself.

Most of what you describe is already in DW20, but the one block thing sounds like projectE. There are some mods that just add smaller dungeons if the vanilla ones aren't frequent enough for you. I like FloatingRuins for that sort of thing. Most of the adventure themed packs you see played on YouTube seem to throw in 4 or 5 dungeon mods & 2 or 3 hostile mob mods, so it can be tough figuring out which is which.

The giant redwoods come from Natura, but Biomes O Plenty adds its own redwood forest biome.

If you want to live inside a redwood tree then Natura is the only way to go... Make your door out of the bark and mobs won't bang on it at all, plus hollowing out a single 3-block high level results in 4 1/2 stacks of wood resources.

- T. Ree Hugga

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I use fence gates at first, but that's only if I actually get around to building walls...I have a bad habit of just building everything out in the open until I eventually get around to moving into a building. In my current world, for example, I've gotten to the point where I have a Rotarycraft Extractor running in the middle of an orchard biome, with the closest thing I have to walls being a couple of rows of natura berries and a row of barrels.

badgerr

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

I have without a doubt spent alot on time on minecraft vanilla, but also so on modpacks. Today however, something hit my mind and I would love if any of you guys could help me out!

For those of you who know what Mianite is, if you have watched season 2 you know just about what I'm looking for. However, for those who don't, heres a few things I'd love if it would be in the modpack. Either on FTB, or on another launcher (if naming other launchers in the replies is against rules, then just skip over this one. No one needs to get in trouble for a post like this!)

• Tinkers Construct - Do i really need to explain why?
  • Taint - Okay. Im not sure what mod this is from, and i know it sound weird, but it really in my opinion adds a much more "Oh sh*t!" aspect to it all when building things.
  • Various machines (AE, BC, etc..) - So im not sure what these mods consist of, but when you start looking at different pipes, automation machines, ME systems, pulverizers, more advanced furnaces! OOuuh yeah!
  • That one block mod - There isnt a mod called this, literally, of what I am aware. However, I know for a fact that theres a block, atleast in some modpacks in TechnicLauncher that lets you throw in stuff there to "convert" it to one or another block, depending on what it "grades" up to. Has a rather huge interface, aswell.
  • Pams Harvestcraft or similar mods adding plants/more stuff to overworld - So, im not a huge fan of mods like Lycanites mobs or something. Because I almost literally shit my pants when i see something 10 blocks tall come up behind me, hell, even although it would just be a creeper, even worse if a fire creeper or something similar. But something like this, that can let you get more types of food in your chests would be nice!
  • The mods that adds Diamond/Gold/Iron chests and whatnot
  • Forestry
  • Redwood trees (or whatever they are called)
Cheers everyone for your time! And as a last note before I go, if it would be easier to just put together one myself, does anyone have any ideas how to start off with a own pack?

Regards,
Xariez

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
where do i get the code to download the modpack for ftb launcher?

What "code"? The FtB packs don' need no steenkin' code...

The only modpacks that may need a code are the ones listed under the "Third Party Pack" tab and those not yet released to the public. If someone opens a public beta of their pack they will publish the code, but you have to tell us which pack at a minimum... :D

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to watch direwolf20's youtube videos. He is good at teaching the mods to new players. You will get a good idea of what you're in for.