Whats the best modpack for just playing with friends?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm really enjoying Feed the Beast and I'm going to set up a small server for me and some friends, but I thought I'd ask what everyone thought would be a good choice or what you like to play with mates?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a server with 2 of my friends, we use the direwolf20 pack with optifine and treefeller added. It's pretty fun :)

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
I like MindCrack, but it has GregTech, which not everyone loves, and it has a lot of mods, which can cause lag on most normal machines when you run the server and your own client.

Lunarknight32

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend mindcrack if you like the stuff gregtech does. It has more things to do and it's more challenging than the DW20 pack is. Otherwise, use the DW20 pack.

I have a small server with friends, and we use the direwolf20 pack with 6 mods added. If you like one mod that's not in the DW20 pack, then there's no reason to not add it in.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack has more stuff, which means more diversity and options. You can just have everyone disable GregTech if you want to avoid it with two clicks before booting the pack and everything will match up just fine for you guys. Or, if you think you can coordinate it (and again want to avoid GregTech's harder recipes), you could just have everyone adjust the config file appropriately, perhaps distribute the adjusted config over dropbox to make sure everyone is properly synched up. The Direwolf pack isn't the only option for not having to deal with GregTech.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack has more stuff, which means more diversity and options. You can just have everyone disable GregTech if you want to avoid it with two clicks before booting the pack and everything will match up just fine for you guys. Or, if you think you can coordinate it (and again want to avoid GregTech's harder recipes), you could just have everyone adjust the config file appropriately, perhaps distribute the adjusted config over dropbox to make sure everyone is properly synched up. The Direwolf pack isn't the only option for not having to deal with GregTech.
This is my recommendation. Mindcrack has far more content than DW20 adds, and Gregtech is amazing once you get past the recipe wonkiness. I just provided the config file options to disable all the hard recipes in another thread, let me find it.

Ahh, here it is. Just scroll down to the bottom and follow the instructions. Be aware that the config I showed does not change the "Storage blocks requiring a compressor" dealio.

Reactions: arkangyl

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack has far more content than DW20 adds
such as? The Voxel stuff is awful, laggy and on a poor machine makes the game extremely unplayable. Advanced machines are worthless once you get to the stage where you can afford to run your regular machines on MV/HV power with upgrades applenty. Gregtech? I wouldn't mind the arrogant nature of the mod but that recipe flickering thing is just infuriating.
And what does the DW20 pack add? A stable environment with Mystcraft + all the other best mods, unmodified by greg. Just add yourself Optifine (And Extrabee's if that's your thing, hell even add advanced solars if you're not convinced that they're useless) and you're ready to go.
Simples.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
such as? The Voxel stuff is awful, laggy and on a poor machine makes the game extremely unplayable. Advanced machines are worthless once you get to the stage where you can afford to run your regular machines on MV/HV power with upgrades applenty. Gregtech? I wouldn't mind the arrogant nature of the mod but that recipe flickering thing is just infuriating.
And what does the DW20 pack add? A stable environment with Mystcraft + all the other best mods, unmodified by greg. Just add yourself Optifine (And Extrabee's if that's your thing, hell even add advanced solars if you're not convinced that they're useless) and you're ready to go.
Simples.

Except advanced machines outside of the induction furnace blow the base machines out of the water, accepting the exact same upgrades but being faster by base. Recipe flickering is hardly an issue when you learn to recognize all the equivalents the moment you open a recipe. Why is DW20 pack anymore stable? Mystcraft is reportedly going to be added to mindcrack, but just because you don't play mods like traincraft or gregtech's easy mode, it doesn't make them illegitimate content.

@OP I always recommend mindcrack for multiplayer servers, due to it meaning you won't be playing pseudo-creative within a few hours/days. Gregtech adds complexity and 'difficulty' that a lot of people do not like, though.

Btw I am on an AMD athlon 64 processor with 960 MB of ram and I can play on our SMP with mid-low settings (8~ person server). For those who may not be knowledgeable with pc parts it is a low end CPU. It can't even run video editing software at all, but it can play FTB mindcrack on medium settings.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. I want to try out Mindcrack just for the sake of GregTech but im also worried about my friends who have no experience with basic IC2 in the first place. Oh well it's worth a test :D

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
If your friends have 0 experience make sure to run them through how NEI recipe mode works for finding how to build things.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What does the Voxel stuff actually offer? I see this list of Voxel this and Voxel that, and nothing to explain what it is. I did download Mindcraft, and fired it at, and was appalled at the new menu interface. I didn't actually go any further, as I wanted a couple of mods from Mindcrack that were not in DW20.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Voxel stuff in the mindcrack path is mostly just minor aesthetic changes. I don't know which does what but I think it's things like being able to see peoples nameplates, items (nonblock ones) have 3d effects on the ground. I imagine the login screen is also a voxel mod

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say the DW20 pack for sure! I'm playing with a few close friends, one of which, is very new to Minecraft! He's been following the new Direwolf20 Season 5 Let's Play and is totally rocking the server. In a good way! lol

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Voxel is what permits you to have better nameplates (clearer mostly), with the actual distance in it, and bubbles above the head of the person that spoke in chat with the chat text.
Apart from that, it doesn't give much.

If you want to play with your friends, you might want to copy some mods from the DW20 pack (both server and clients) like portal gun, or maybe mystcraft.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
The modpack that's best to play with your friends? The ones you all agree to play. :)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. I want to try out Mindcrack just for the sake of GregTech but im also worried about my friends who have no experience with basic IC2 in the first place. Oh well it's worth a test :D
Someone with no experience in IC2 will likely adjust to GregTech easier if you're keeping it in, so that's actually a good thing. They just need to know what the cycling recipes actually mean so they don't get confused.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Simples.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/15qvzw/how_to_use_nei_ie_how_to_save_time_with_the/

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019

0f60e189d6840b3294f90d4663fd20e9.jpeg

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, I thought I knew NEI, turns out I only knew like 25% of it.

Back on the subject of the thread, I would say Mindcrack is for Minecraft hardmode, Direwolf is for messing around. If you consider yourself someone who gets bored after making a mass fabricator in like the 10th hour of playing, and achieving creative mode shortly thereafter, I would definitely recommend using Mindcrack.