What's the backup facility in FTB Beyond (and probably other FTB modpacks)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hux

Jul 29, 2019
Playing FTB Beyond (for MC 1.10.2), every now and then I see a purple message onscreen saying that a server backup is starting and then another one saying it's completed. Can anyone tell me what's initiating that backup? I'm presuming it's a mod (since my vanilla 1.10.2 server doesn't do that) but I can't figure out which one and I'm coming up blank on the googles.

Thanks in advance. :)

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Most modpacks run an internal server instead of a world for single-player games due to it being modded and having chunk loading and such. I feel like backups happen every 5 minutes. Don't quote me on that though.

P

Pjc21

@hux - I believe the backup you are talking about is the FTBUtilities backup which I think by default is set to every 2 hours. This time can be changed in the config (or disabled I think) if desired, you can also start a backup at any time in game with command /backup start

The config file can be found in /local/ftbutilities/config.cfg

Code:
backups {
        # Timer in hours
        # 1.0 - backups every hour
        # 6.0 - backups every 6 hours
        # 0.5 - backups every 30 minutes
        # Min: 0.05
        # Max: 600.0
        D:backup_timer=2.0

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Most modpacks run an internal server instead of a world for single-player games due to it being modded and having chunk loading and such. I feel like backups happen every 5 minutes. Don't quote me on that though.
The internal server is a vanilla thing and is in the game since Minecraft 1.3.

hux

Jul 29, 2019
@hux - I believe the backup you are talking about is the FTBUtilities backup which I think by default is set to every 2 hours. This time can be changed in the config (or disabled I think) if desired, you can also start a backup at any time in game with command /backup start

The config file can be found in /local/ftbutilities/config.cfg
I believe that's it. Thank you very much!

And thanks also to KingTriaxx - I'll take a look at Aroma.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Um, they both backup to the same place.
./minecraft/backup

At least they always have on my games.

P

Pjc21

FTB backup also in instance folder, so must both use same folder. /instance-name/backup

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Nope, Backups folder is empty. It seems that like everything else involving FTB Utils, it doesn't work at all. Ah well.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I looked at my server and there were defiantly files in the backup folder. I don't play single player so I can't confirm if it works there but for servers it seems to work just fine.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can set a custom path in the config file, maybe that is set to something stupid for you or something?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
All my Ftb utilities backed up packs are backing up to the /backup directory. I'm going to have to agree with Ienscas. You're probably configed to put them elsewhere or the /backup directory permissions is not set correctly.