What's a good way to get mob essence?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Alright so I wanted to get some wither skulls, but do the safari net spawned wither skeletons drop them?
Also, what's the fastest way to get mob essence for the Auto-spawner?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla spawners or soul shards. You could also set up an automated RP2 frame that scavenges a biome at night, setting up MFR grinders, grinding the mobs and then tesseracting back the products.

You will get an A++-+ from the forum if you succeed with the latter.

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla spawners or soul shards. You could also set up an automated RP2 frame that scavenges a biome at night, setting up MFR grinders, grinding the mobs and then tesseracting back the products.

You will get an A++-+ from the forum if you succeed with the latter.
I'm on Unleashed which doesn't have RP2, but it'd be fun to try haha.
Yeah I have a vanilla spawner but when I afk close to it my minecraft crashes randomly, so I can't really bother restarting minecraft all the time :(

How does the soul shards work?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
You can also run blue slimes, green slimes or globs (BOP slimes). In normal spawning mode each of these will generate a surpluss of mob essence because they can not only spawn as small, but also as medium and big. The best way to get mob essence is a huge slimes in exact mode (needs an embiggening syringe on a big slime). Takes up to 200mj/t but generates ~2 buckets/second IIRC :) Also note that a standard 9x9 room will not be big enough and that you need alot more then 4 grinders when pumping them out with 200mj/t.

As for wither skeletons, yes mobs spawned with an MFR autospawner will drop wither skulls and necrotic bones if killed manually. If killed by a grinder they will only drop skulls and not necrotic bones.

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
You can also run blue slimes, green slimes or globs (BOP slimes). In normal spawning mode each of these will generate a surpluss of mob essence because they can not only spawn as small, but also as medium and big. The best way to get mob essence is a huge slimes in exact mode (needs an embiggening syringe on a big slime). Takes up to 200mj/t but generates ~2 buckets/second IIRC :) Also note that a standard 9x9 room will not be big enough and that you need alot more then 4 grinders when pumping them out with 200mj/t.

As for wither skeletons, yes mobs spawned with an MFR autospawner will drop wither skulls and necrotic bones if killed manually. If killed by a grinder they will only drop skulls and not necrotic bones.
Will look into that later, the mob essence I have now will have to do :)

And how the hell to I pump out the essence from an iron tank?! I've tried autarchic gates and redstone engines, want to pump the essence into a liquid tesseract which will forward it to the auto-spawner...

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Will look into that later, the mob essence I have now will have to do :)

And how the hell to I pump out the essence from an iron tank?! I've tried autarchic gates and redstone engines, want to pump the essence into a liquid tesseract which will forward it to the auto-spawner...

Make sure that your valva is touching the liquid level. The best way to get it out is a valve at the bottom as that will always be touching liquid if there is liquid inside. A simple liqiduct put on output mode powered with a lever should work fine btw :)

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure that your valva is touching the liquid level. The best way to get it out is a valve at the bottom as that will always be touching liquid if there is liquid inside. A simple liqiduct put on output mode powered with a lever should work fine btw :)
Yeah I could finally get the liquid into the first pipe, but the tesseract wont forward it, I have used a tesseract before so I know how they work but this one, meh...

e/nvm, apparently I didn't know :)

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
From the tools he/she gives you I think Powercrystals is expecting you to run it off either vanilla spawners or cows.

However, the interaction between Soul Shards and MFR is too strong not to use. A soul shard can drive an auto-spawner and the mobs from the auto-spawner can be used to level up another soul shard, e.g. using a cave spider soul shard to level up witches, pigmen and wither skeletons.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
the mobs from the auto-spawner can be used to level up another soul shard, e.g. using a cave spider soul shard to level up witches, pigmen and wither skeletons.
If you're talking about the anvil trick, I thought that finally got fixed. Haven't tried to confirm though

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Make a completely dark room and make the floor out of Cursed Earth. It will constantly spit forth mobs for the Grinder to turn into Mob Essence. Only stipulation is that the room must be pitch black, so you may have to do some shenanigans in order to wire up the Grinder without exposing any holes in the wall.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
If you're talking about the anvil trick, I thought that finally got fixed. Haven't tried to confirm though

The anvil trick has been fixed. What I mean is make, say, a T5 cave spider spawner by absorbing the plentiful spawners and then kill spiders with a grinder. Get mob essence. Use essence to feed an auto-spawner that spawns witches. Kill witches with your Soul Stealer force sword while holding a soul shard until T5.

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
You can always go searching in the nether for blaze spawner and force wrench them for quick tier5 soulshard

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Cow farm.

I'm at 2k buckets of mob essence atm. (That's not milibuckets either, actual buckets, so 2'000'000 milibuckets of mob essence).

It's lame, it's boring, it's what the modder expected you to do, it's what nobody ever does for some reason. Give it a try, you'll be swimming in mob essence in no time.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Cow farm.

I'm at 2k buckets of mob essence atm. (That's not milibuckets either, actual buckets, so 2'000'000 milibuckets of mob essence).

It's lame, it's boring, it's what the modder expected you to do, it's what nobody ever does for some reason. Give it a try, you'll be swimming in mob essence in no time.

Well there is a reason I dont use nor like it: its realy slow. You can make up for it by upscaling it alot, wich means a high amount of entity's, wich in turn is not exactly the best thing for a server :\

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Make a completely dark room and make the floor out of Cursed Earth. It will constantly spit forth mobs for the Grinder to turn into Mob Essence. Only stipulation is that the room must be pitch black, so you may have to do some shenanigans in order to wire up the Grinder without exposing any holes in the wall.

This. It can also be done with a normal darkroom with no Cursed Earth, but it is a bit slower overall.

There is also the XP extractor if you care to use it.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Well there is a reason I dont use nor like it: its realy slow. You can make up for it by upscaling it alot, wich means a high amount of entity's, wich in turn is not exactly the best thing for a server :\

I had a MFR breeder-setup of one pair each of cows, chicken, sheep and pigs which kept me supplied with all the mob essence I ever needed (for an endermen autospawner and enchanting table).

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Cynric brings up another point. You can produce an extremely reliable/scalable source of mob essence using a passive mob breeding system. MFR already provides all the tools required to reproduce passive mobs as well as sort out the breeding set from the grinding set (mobs). MFR breeder to reproduct, MFR chronotyper to move all newly bred passives into the grinding room. When they grow, the grinder will proceed to grind them. This will also convert wheat -> meat, which is (a) more player-energy dense and the excess can (b) be turned into methane for EU production.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
This. It can also be done with a normal darkroom with no Cursed Earth, but it is a bit slower overall.

There is also the XP extractor if you care to use it.

If using the "dark room" method to generate mobs, how do you prevent Endertots from filling up all spawn spaces?