What would you like to see in a Magic Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Fitzpatrick

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like this ability: Channel Lightning. a few mods allow you have lightning strike where you point it. I think it would be cooler to have the lightning strike you and then channel it towards what you want dead. Skill level would affect the amount you could channel before taking damage.

Reactions: trajing

idrewt

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see a couple multiblock structures!

Magic mods tend to have really cool items later in the mod that can require work to get too (Ars Magica Spell Making, Thaumcraft Infusion, Blood Magic life points.. ect.) and I'd love to see your own method of crafting late game items, especially if they are strong! I am not opposed to difficult items that give huge bonuses (Like KAMI) if you work hard enough for them. Mod integration is awesome, I saw TiC was mentioned and a couple other magic mods.. Maybe add a method of transportation? I've been on some servers that use Mystcraft as a way of getting to peoples bases and this is not reliable, worlds corrupt, people crash when they use portals sometimes.. and just other undesirable outcomes. In the same aspect Ars Magica gate stones are awesome! ... but we all hate carrying around all these keystones.. So maybe a inter-dimensional method of transport that could be used on servers and the like. Even if it is just per player.

Cosmetics, if your mod allowed me to decorate a whole room just using your blocks .. That'd be awesome. If you do anything be sure to add an awesome light in the mix :D. I make separate areas for magic based mods, and usually run out of attainable resources that will give it a really cool magical look to build with, I think Witchery added a ton of blocks that you bring toward your "altar" area and it increases the power of it and I've seen a TON of sweet areas that really have a great "dark magical" feel to them. Everyone loves things that please the eye.

(*whisper* maybe a make day/make night/stop rain spell, method or block? *whisper*)

There are just so many things that can be done with magic based mods it's awesome thinking about it!

Question - Will the mod have a dark theme? (Witchery/Blood Magic) or will it be a more good or neutral theme? (Most of the other magic mods)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
A magic mod that's easy to get into. Many of the mods present you with an overload of information or require a lot of net research just to understand the basics. Integration should be seamless within Minecraft with natural discovery a key feature.

Sparkly effects - cause it's magic!

Interesting blocks/multiblocks that can be combined together in different ways to achieve goals (like tech machines + pipes can be combined together to achieve what you need)

Different "paths" - Light/Dark, Good/Evil, etc. Your choices as you progress through the mod should affect your gameplay and the world itself

Make it feel "Minecrafty" (limited hi res textures, detailed models, etc), only extra world gen resources if they are absolutely necessary.

Dark Of The Moon

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would be cool if you had something like "living" plants. Sort of like the Ents from Witchery, but not always being aggressive. Say, if you were collecting a lot of a certain plant, other plants of that kind might move away from you or attack you.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Armor lacking in magic mods? I'm covered in magical armor and gems and stuff... I have special items to access special inventories... So many do them. Runic, Blood, jewelery, protective items, heart containers,

gwirk

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that actually expands on vanilla enchantments and potions instead of making them obsolete.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
A mod that actually expands on vanilla enchantments and potions instead of making them obsolete.
Most people hate the randomness of the vanilla enchant system, so most expansions on it bypass the randomness in some way, be it a new enchanting table like E+, or a new way to get the enchants, like the osmotic enchanter from TT and infusion enchanting from TC4 or reinvent it in a better form like the tool modifiers from TiCo and the force infuser from DC. New enchants are welcome, but you have to remember that it takes effort to get the new enchants if you rely on the vanilla enchant system.

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
Multi block structures are always cool! One mechanic I have yet to see done well is a good progression without too much grind. I have yet to get into Blood Magic, but I like the fact that the more powerful spells and things can end up killing you or backfiring. Magic is cool, but dangerous and there should be some kind of risk with the reward. Thhaumcraft and Ars Magica get a bit grindy, researching and leveling up, but the long time it takes to "master" the mod is really nice. The bigger the better also, having a feeling of true power is lacking from magic mods IMO (minus OP TTKAMI). Lastly, exploration would be very cool. I like to look around my world and adventure, not stay cooped up in a building, crafting and grinding to get the cool stuff. Things like structures and dungeons can add verity and challenge to a minecraftt world. Oh one last thing, choosing a "path" to what kinds of magic you want to do would be cool. Ars does a decent job at this, but you can still master everything without diminishing any specialities. If someone is mastering how to be a powerful battle Mage, it should be much harder for him to do healing, or nature magic. Almost similar to classes in an RPG

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
What I'd like to see...? Careful what you ask for...

What I'd like to see is a magical continuum of themed Magic Circles... A framework for writing magical mods, as an Open Mod that would encourage and facilitate content contribution from other coders and from non-coders/users.
It would facilitate a broad range of magical circles too large to be written by any one coder and would require an army of contributors for content.

Not so much a content mod in itself, but a common API framework with classes drawing from editable configs, an asset library for sounds and graphics, and contextual keymapping.

It would be designed around child mods being added with each child mod (Magic Circle) having a theme... Arthurian, Norse, Babylonian, Lovecraftian... etc
It would allow for
Items
potions (selectable single use spell container with slots for spells)
scrolls (selectable multi-use spell container with slots for spells)
armor (worn item with spell slots)
weapons (selected hotbar item with spell slots which can be individually configured either for additional melee effect or for hotkeyed casting for the armed weapon)
baubles (inventory item with slots)
utility belts / spell books (hotbar item with keymapped slots independent of the item being in hand)
crafting components (an ore dictionary-like registry for ingredient/recipe items)​
Spells
Assets (graphics and sound files)
possibly Races, Classes, Mobs and Bosses​

So far as I can determine Blocks would still have to be added in the creation of the child mod, but I could be wrong about that.

A spell for example, in this mod would be defined in a formatted text file and might look something like
Magic Circle Name - <>
Contributor <optional>
Spell Name - <>
Spell Type - < attack | defense | buff/poison | utility >
{
attack type <(damage on armor / ignore armor) | (damage against magic resistance / ignore magic resistance)
defense < as armor | as damage reduction | as magic resistance | as damage reflection | as damaging armor>
Magnitude - <valrange>
Duration - <valrange or null>​
buff/poison < buff | poison>
Magnitude - <valrange>
Duration - <valrange or null>
Effect - < damage(valrange) | nerf regen(valrange) | damage on mana(valrange) | nerf mana regen(valrange) | hunger(valrange) | steal health(valrange) | steal mana(valrange)...
Target - < self | player | mob | block | area ...>​
etc...

Because everything added would be obedient to the same rules, Magic Circles could overlap and interact in predictable ways.

It would amount to a template system in which non-coders could contribute major portions of the content.
I can think of a dozen magic circles that could be added and I would just jump on the chance to port content from my text MUDs into a 3D Minecraft world.

A flat file would no doubt slow things down a bit, but on running, the mod could save new additions or changes in the flat files as pre-formatted classes.
It would then only check the flat files for changes on loading and then skip that part when possible.

If someone builds this... the army of content writers will be forming up ranks before the last line of code is compiled.

Reactions: Bandito Keith

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I'd enjoy having some darker magical arts. For example, Ars Magicka(2) has Light Magi and Dark Magi. The former are friendly and attack mobs and heal you, the latter are hostile and attack you but aren't attacked by mobs(except for Elementals but they're jerks). So the player is all but shoehorned into being a Light Magi. I'd rather it be somewhat more difficult then that. Pick a side. Light Magi have the benefit, say, of recovering mana somewhat faster overall, but are somewhat weaker to it(openness to magic has it's downsides). Dark Magi have somewhat stunted mana recovery(slower overall), but get a instant mana boost and boosted mana regeneration for a short while when they kill something.

Stick with your side for these effects to increase: more powerful light magi regenerate mana even faster but are weaker still to it; More powerful dark magi have less mana regen, but have the benefits increase even more.
Get good enough at either skill and you have a capstone ability: Light Magi can invoke a sort of mana well that gives them infinite mana for a short time, and light magi nearby have vastly increased mana regen; Dark Magi can invoke a aura that sucks mana out of things nearby, killing plants, turning grass into dirt(and dirt into salted earth), kills trees, harms things that aren't dark magi(and if they die, the dark magi mana boost proc's). These capstones come after a passive capstone: Light Magi increase the mana regeneration of light magi and make them less vulnerable to magic. Dark Magi have a strong chance to absorb any spell cast at them, taking the mana used and restoring their own mana, but at this point they have no passive mana regeneration unless they kill things.

Hardchlor

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe a spell with which you can create matter in the form of blocks (similar to forcefields so you cant mine them) and then there could be a spell with which you could turn on and off blocks of individual colors... Or maybe (lategame) you could make a spell which lets you see through walls at a short distance... Another idea: a spell that creates a vehicle with which you can travel fast and you can reset your position to where you started.. so you can scout or visit another player and then return to your initial location... idk if my ideas are good as I am usually more into the technical kind of stuff :)

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Open Source would be cool, but I don't know if Minalien's looking for that. But I agree with the idea for a slight path mod, but not like AM2.

C

chbachman

I feel like magic mods are pushed to late game or middle game, once somebody has already gotten a good way to double ores automatically and get the power they bed then they turn to magic for cool toys. I think that magic mods need a good way to early game double ores, simIlar to thermal expansion but magicky. You said that it was mostly for late game, but some way to double ores, get extra red stone and get some good tools would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like magic mods are pushed to late game or middle game, once somebody has already gotten a good way to double ores automatically and get the power they bed then they turn to magic for cool toys. I think that magic mods need a good way to early game double ores, simIlar to thermal expansion but magicky. You said that it was mostly for late game, but some way to double ores, get extra red stone and get some good tools would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except that magic mods usually do not need doubled ores, unlike tech mods

Reactions: Mevansuto
Status
Not open for further replies.