What would you like to see in a Magic Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chbachman

But then I could run my base off of magicky goodness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I came up with an idea for a magic mod the other day and I thought I might as well share the main focus of it here: I think it would be cool if a magic mod let you select certain powers and set a command for them and you could say whatever you set the command is in chat and the certain power would happen at the cost of some sort of mana or something. The idea for this came from the idea of wanting to be able to have the power to do magical things like get rid of rain with the power of my own voice in game.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I came up with an idea for a magic mod the other day and I thought I might as well share the main focus of it here: I think it would be cool if a magic mod let you select certain powers and set a command for them and you could say whatever you set the command is in chat and the certain power would happen at the cost of some sort of mana or something. The idea for this came from the idea of wanting to be able to have the power to do magical things like get rid of rain with the power of my own voice in game.
As an extension to this, I think it would be pretty cool to also give a message that other players can see, so on a SMP sever people can see who took away the rain and thank them (or see who made it rain again and bomb their base)

Reactions: BreezyTaco

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'd really like to see something you can work with early game, before you've done your initial mining trip for iron and coal. Things like regenerating hunger, growing food, speeding up ingot production, just stuff you can do before you get iron and coal and help you move along quickly. A lot of mods get caught up in their recipes and you can't do much until later game. Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, and every tech mod fall victim to this and you end up having to do some serious resource gathering before you can get the go ahead to start having fun.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly I think the balance between magic mods and tech have come to a rather nice equilibrium.
While I don't want to rain on anyone parade or make unwarranted suggestions/ demands I think making a new magic mod would be rather pointless.
At least as far as FTB goes both magic and tech are pretty well saturated now, you'd have to make a pretty brilliant mod to be worth it and your competition is steep. Otherwise you will end up like Factorization where people only add it becasue of one item (barrels).

OK as far as magic goes Thaumcraft and it's addons have magic trinkets covered, Ars magica has the actual magic aspect covered, bloodmagic has the alternative mana system covered, Whitchery has rituals and voodoo like things covered.
I frankly don't see many avenues for a truly original magic mechanic at least as far as FTB packs are concerned.

What would I like to see in a magic mod? Other then the examples I gave? Not sure, you'll have to come up with something I'm not thinking of to wow me (and maybe other players) this time.

Just make the mod you want to see and if it's liked it's liked if not, so what.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Vampirism and lycanthropy although not completely magic would be awesome

Mage classes

Different types of spells like wand, staff, hand, etc.

Simple and advanced Telekinesis think items-->blocks

Some form of telepathy to villagers/mobs would be great

Apprentice system with mages in mob form

Force field type spell

Some form of magical energy that has some kind of animation for transport like in Botania

Edit: some sort of focus of magical energy + adverse effects

I would love to see more magic mods, with these things especially

Sleepyscumbag

Jul 29, 2019
As we all know, tech mods are often seen as counterparts to magic mods, but I like the idea of them being able to interact with each other. Maybe a way to supercharge your tech machines using manalien (puns galore). A cool idea for PvP servers would be a magical EMP, that would disable electrical systems/drain batteries, etc, or maybe some kind of magical explosive that would disrupt the area around it. It would need some cross-mod compatability, but I guess this is the "brainstorm" stage, not the "can-we-actually-do-this" stage

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
The ability to change the biome- Because the fact is jungle grass is better then all other grass. Also the ability to corrupt the world around us, be be able to take advantage of it too.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I would love a way to flatten/mountain up an area while keeping it natural looking using magic. Also, an "energy" that can backfire you in the way blood magic does. I agree that magic must be dangerous! Not enough danger is implented :p

Also, a late game world? That would let you access to late/very late game awesome mechanics (like invincibility? Insta breaking area tools?)

A way to "spawn" yourself an army fighting for you, with different mobs each having a special ability. A cap on the size, increasing with xyz mechanic. Needs to be somewhat hard and have negative effect if you fail at it (example they attack you)

Reactions: Mevansuto

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The ability to change the biome- Because the fact is jungle grass is better then all other grass. Also the ability to corrupt the world around us, be be able to take advantage of it too.
CORRUPTION CRIMSON AND HALLOOW FOR THUS MAGIC MOD :D
(Terraria reference)

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
It would be neat if the more you used a type of magic, the more it would warp how the player looks, like if you used nature-y magic you might have small leaves sprouting from you etc.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly I think the balance between magic mods and tech have come to a rather nice equilibrium.
While I don't want to rain on anyone parade or make unwarranted suggestions/ demands I think making a new magic mod would be rather pointless.
At least as far as FTB goes both magic and tech are pretty well saturated now, you'd have to make a pretty brilliant mod to be worth it and your competition is steep. Otherwise you will end up like Factorization where people only add it becasue of one item (barrels).

OK as far as magic goes Thaumcraft and it's addons have magic trinkets covered, Ars magica has the actual magic aspect covered, bloodmagic has the alternative mana system covered, Whitchery has rituals and voodoo like things covered.
I frankly don't see many avenues for a truly original magic mechanic at least as far as FTB packs are concerned.

What would I like to see in a magic mod? Other then the examples I gave? Not sure, you'll have to come up with something I'm not thinking of to wow me (and maybe other players) this time.

Just make the mod you want to see and if it's liked it's liked if not, so what.
I didn't use factorization for barrels, I used it for wrath lamps, but now I've got arcane lamps, so good bye Factorization!

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't use factorization for barrels, I used it for wrath lamps, but now I've got arcane lamps, so good bye Factorization!

You sir gave me a good idea!

What about a magic mod related to storage? (Or a part of it) giving us something other the AE?
Something in the avenue a RC's scaleable chest but using Magic to power it.
Or some magical storage you need to cast a spell to access it

Just an idea (because AE on every world is boring)

Reactions: BreezyTaco

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Other Dimensions worth going to, and I don't mean Mystcraft style random ones. (because most of the good ideas I had have already been suggested in the thread)

I'm just thinking of the ol' days back in 2nd Ed. D&D, the Planar Supplements with the Elemental Realms, and the Astral, Arboria, Nirvana, etc.

It would be neat to have somewhere besides the Nether (which is Fire themed) as an alternate world. Like an Ice or Wood world.

Reactions: trajing

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Other Dimensions worth going to, and I don't mean Mystcraft style random ones. (because most of the good ideas I had have already been suggested in the thread)

I'm just thinking of the ol' days back in 2nd Ed. D&D, the Planar Supplements with the Elemental Realms, and the Astral, Arboria, Nirvana, etc.

It would be neat to have somewhere besides the Nether (which is Fire themed) as an alternate world. Like an Ice or Wood world.
I am kinda imagining a sort of world tree for the wood world. That would be pretty neat.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
So on top of my idea for the Magic Hat, Cape, Wand thing. I just had a glorious brain fart that would be funny but fun. Imagine a magic parasol that works as both a weapon and a means of early flight. like with OpenBlocks hang glider when you fall it lets you glide i nthe air. But it comes with a charge meter. When the meter runs out it collapses and you begin falling. it can also serve as a cheap simple weapon that can stun enemies (so totally didn't rip this idea from a hat in time or Super Mario RPG)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever neat tools and blocks the mod has is relatively unimportant compared to the process it takes to make them. I would really like to see one where the whole research aspect is handled via an archeology type deal where there would be ancient ruins scattered about the world. Made of unbreakable blocks, you have to craft a key to get into it. Higher tier dungeons require higher tier keys. You wont be able to progress in the mod until you loot the next tier of dungeon. But also I expect said tools and blocks in a magic mod to be a little bit more detailed and animated than what you would expect from the latest greatest tech mod.

DrangOfTheOutlands

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of different wands would let you do different levels of magic like start out with a basic wooden wand then you can upgrade it later to allow for stronger magic or an attack spell would do more damage something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.