What would YOU change about BuildCraft?

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
The problem with BC docs right now is that five wikis have their BC docs and none of them have a complete wiki.

Seriously. If you guys all want to document BC, let's just make a central GitHub repository with the original text, put it under the public domain and have all the wikis re-use the same stuff. Why duplicate the effort? I understand that many of those wikis' owners might have issues of competition, but it's the same mod.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I would change about Buildcraft would be to adjust or do away with redstone engines. They add no RF power to a system (to prevent people from spamming worlds with them and getting power for free), they're basically a "take action" command. I wouldn't even use the engine aesthetic anymore if they stayed in. Instead, I'd use a piston operating a lever for the model. Right-click the redstone engine to make it run once, or give it redstone power to run continuously. Heck, turn 'em into a pipe injector to withdraw from chest inventories into pipe networks! Running machines (like pumps) using redstone engines was only a convenience anyway, although a very nice one.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
While working on my power grid I really got "annoyed" at the fact that I had to go into my inventory just to make more kinetic pipes I didn't want to make a bunch at a time as redstone is still a bit too precious for that but I ended up making a bit too many either way.
What I would like if to be able to place down a pipe and then right click it with redstone (and why not with pipe sealant or however it is called) to transform it into the kinetic pipes (or with pipe sealant into waterproof pipes).

WildWinni

Jul 29, 2019
While working on my power grid I really got "annoyed" at the fact that I had to go into my inventory just to make more kinetic pipes I didn't want to make a bunch at a time as redstone is still a bit too precious for that but I ended up making a bit too many either way.
What I would like if to be able to place down a pipe and then right click it with redstone (and why not with pipe sealant or however it is called) to transform it into the kinetic pipes (or with pipe sealant into waterproof pipes).

This is actually a pretty neat idea. I think the primary differences is that liquid pipes use sealant and kinetic uses redstone. While we're on the subject of easy placement I feel there should be click functionality on pipes that removes said item afterwards. So if you place the wrong type of pipe you can simply remove the sealer/redstone and swap it out.

Also a way of 'marking' pipes would be nice. Like if I set a pipe up with multiple inputs or redirected iron pipes, if a colour bar could appear on the pipe I could use it to indicate destinations or stuff. Like; red lights this pipe goes to the bin. Blue: to storage: Green to somewhere else. etc. Would be even better if this colout could be changed from gates..

IdleMuse

Jul 29, 2019
This thread has reminded me of all the cool times I had on 1.6.4 with BC and Forestry; maybe i'll look at making my next server BC-centric again, much nostalgia. My concern is, though, that it's just nostalgia. I don't know if I'd actually enjoy making a buildcraft setup again, as much as I am behind the principles that drive it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Something that came to me the other night, while trying to work with an older version of Wireless Redstone. Endstone Structure Pipes.

Recipe being something like: 4 Endstone, 2 glass, 2 Pulsating Chipsets and 1 Obsidian in an Assembly table. Generates 2 pipes, with the same address, so if one a gate on one is outputting a red pipe wire, the matched pipe displays the same signal.

jay2144

Jul 29, 2019
buildcraft is a great mod the way it is it allows so many different pipes but the best system for bc is logistics pipes and storage being ae2 the only thing i would like to see is buildcraft being able to directly interact with ae2 the buildcraft quarry should also act like ender io quarry except for the fact that it fills when its done instead of while its going

WildWinni

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be honest. I've been trying to work with AE2 in Regrowth.
I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it - the mod is not friendly, has skill trees up the wazoo and does not play well with others.
I agree I'd like to see this mod add compatibility items for AE2 that make integrating the systems easier.

I also again say. Logistics robots. I mean yeah there are a dozen logistics pipe mods but I have robots all over my current map now, crafting, chopping and planting, farming, fighting mobs!
THESE THINGS ARE ADORABLE

I actually like these over everything else in the mod simply cause of their adorability. So - if you're not going to add a request item function or indexing function to the pipes themselves I would love to see these developed as the mods main feature :D

Additional thought I had based on my last upgraded bot suggestion:
I have lost bots several times cause they try to go outside their limits while trying to do chores. How about giving knights a the ability to search out dormant or lost bots. If a bot goes dead or dormant or just runs out of power the knight approaches its owner and gets the player to follow - always staying x blocks from the player but between the player and the lost robot.

As a boon for multi player servers you could also allow players to STEAL each others bots once they go dormant. Resulting in epic battles to recover lost bots! Course that would involving giving bots a tag as to who owns them.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I have lost bots several times cause they try to go outside their limits while trying to do chores. How about giving knights a the ability to search out dormant or lost bots. If a bot goes dead or dormant or just runs out of power the knight approaches its owner and gets the player to follow - always staying x blocks from the player but between the player and the lost robot.

Instead of a knight doing this, how about an energy-carrier which can be set to either transfer energy between RF source and receiver blocks, or seek out robots (active, inactive, or both) and juice them up enough to get home. It will always track its distance to "home" and return there once it hits its limit, but have a much higher RF storage than other robots, letting it seek in a wider radius and still have a bit of RF left over for others to share.

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
Little request about facades:
1) How about to do something like EnderIO did - just one universal facade entity with changeable texture? NEI pages, ugh...
2) Or just add a shapeless recipe with block to switch one (two, three... up to eight) facade(s) into another type.
Little requests about logistic robots:
1) Something like Planner item, which will create ghost version of blocks for robots to place, using blueprints. So, yeah, instead of Builder or Filler machines. Something like Factorio blueprints.
2) Also Factorio redprints in order to dissasemble massive amount of smtn.

PS: Didn't even played with robots yet. Probably gonna do this soon, cause of Evolved balance changes, oh well~

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Right, but I don't necessarily want them off all the time.
NEI has a way to disable certain blocks from withing its gui, if the facades are listed in its own subset you can easily turn them on or off, not sure if they are though.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
NEI has a way to disable certain blocks from withing its gui, if the facades are listed in its own subset you can easily turn them on or off, not sure if they are though.

Most modpacks that have INPureCore use it to disable a multitude of facade type recipe spam in NEI.