What to do with spare enchanted items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

My Cursed Earth mob spawner's vector plates propels mobs into Diamond Spikes and gets all the drops, including player-kill-only ones.

So now I have lots of enchanted items, and wonder what they can be used for.

I have a Disenchantment Generator (as part of a Rainbow Generator), but don't really need more RF, as I have enough renewable energy sources, and a full tier 6 Draconic power orb. (I'm using DW20's latest modpack, and following his Let's Play season 8.)

What else can I usefully do with the enchanted items?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Personally, I've been storing mine up so I can make an army of armor stands. Besides the disenchantment generator, I don't know any other use. At that point, just set up a filter that ignores NBT and metadata and have them auto-destroyed (I use ExU2 filters, they're the best I've seen for this yet)

A

Anton_

Drbretto, I take it those are not vanilla MC armour stands? Which are they, and what do you do with them?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
They are, though quark (I think) lets you give them a weapon as well. Otherwise vanilla.

And they don't really DO anything except instill fear in the hearts of my imaginary enemies. But I will be placing them like any army ready for battle.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've never used armor stands, and I'm maybe trying to apply Real Life(tm) logic to a game that selectively recognizes gravity, but wouldn't armor on a stand be similar to two blocks placed as a wall as far as blocking mobs? I'm curious now :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I've never used armor stands, and I'm maybe trying to apply Real Life(tm) logic to a game that selectively recognizes gravity, but wouldn't armor on a stand be similar to two blocks placed as a wall as far as blocking mobs? I'm curious now :D

Two blocks places as a wall looks nothing like an army, lol.

This isn't functional in any way, shape or form, lol. The point was that there's nothing to use that stuff on besides what he originally said, which is to use it on an disenchantment generator, besides making an army of armor stands for decoration.

Death_Rictus

Jul 29, 2019
They are, though quark (I think) lets you give them a weapon as well. Otherwise vanilla.

And they don't really DO anything except instill fear in the hearts of my imaginary enemies. But I will be placing them like any army ready for battle.

Suddenly I have to wonder if anyone has done a mod to replace the armor stands with terracotta statues...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Two blocks places as a wall looks nothing like an army, lol.

This isn't functional in any way, shape or form, lol. The point was that there's nothing to use that stuff on besides what he originally said, which is to use it on an disenchantment generator, besides making an army of armor stands for decoration.

I was just curious if such a line of armor w/stands would function like a two block high wall... I hadn't had coffee yet so I may not have coherently made that point :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was just curious if such a line of armor w/stands would function like a two block high wall... I hadn't had coffee yet so I may not have coherently made that point :D

Ohh, don't worry, I'm taking misunderstanding juice today, and you're not my first victim.

I'm curious now, too. There is some difference in that I believe it's considered an entity and not blocks, but I'm not sure if there's a practical effect there...

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Agreed. With 1.7.10 I would say use it for magical wood or a disenchanting table to pull the books off and get all the enchants for a library. But with 1.10 there really isn't use for excess enchanted armors and weapons. I'm dumping mine.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm kind of hoping they pull the solar panels or nerf them somehow for Beyond expert mode because that's literally all you need. It takes a forest and a desert to make, but I can get some crazy output just with that. That's the only reason why I haven't bothered with all those other generators. It's just not necessarily worth the time.

I'm doing everything ez-mode now so I'll appreciate it later, lol

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually Additions has a way to strip enchantments off stuff and onto books. You could build a fully stocked BiblioCraft library. No respectable library will have less than a complete set.

An armor stand is indeed two blocks tall, and mobs will try to path around it rather than through it. A small maze of soldiers around your gates (possibly with traps in the gaps) would be an interesting defense strategy. Do Mob_grinding_utils traps function on a redstone signal in a way that a daylight sensor could active it only at night?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
A

Anton_

The mods included in DW20's current modpack make pulling enchantments onto books either way too tedious (can't automate), or way too costly (at AA's 250kRF per enchantment, processing the ±1500 items I've collected would cost about ½ billion RF, given an average of ±1½ enchantments per item).

Now, if there was a way of turning enchantments into XP, that would be cool. Even a paltry 1 XP per enchanted item would give me 1500 XP points :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was about to ask how you can have 1500 pieces of enchanted armor from mobs and not several billion levels worth of xp to go with it, but does DW20 not have mob grinding utils? The 1.10.2 diamond spikes don't drop xp anymore for some reason but the mob grinder does player loot and XP.

Overall though, I could get behind the concept of an XP refund for those. Might even be more "balanced" than getting full XP drops along with player loot if they're going to go that route. You'd still get a solid amount of XP, but you'd have to work for it. That's a good idea.

A

Anton_

Diamond Spikes drop AA's Solidified Experience as well as the usual drops, so you do get some XP out of it. I have DW20's mob grinder too, which does, as you say, drop XP orbs.