What ping do you consider acceptable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Everlast, May 18, 2013.

1. Everlast

Everlast New Member

I'm interested in what ping range people consider acceptable when looking for servers. With players from different countries, not everyone is going to have the same experience, but what's the best compromise?

Personally, I don't mind anything up to 150ms, but I imagine this value would have to be much lower in PvP servers. What do you think?

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm talking about Minecraft servers.

2. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

3. Lambert2191

Lambert2191 New Member

i usually get 1500

4. Everlast

Everlast New Member

That's not what I asked.

Dravarden likes this.
  5. Grunguk

Grunguk New Member

I have pretty crappy internet due to being in a rural area of the UK with no cable coverage and restricted to ADSL via my phone line; I'm happy with anything under 200 really, but I'm a PvE survival player and builder, so a bit of lag from time to time is acceptable to me.

Everlast likes this.
  6. Lambert2191

Lambert2191 New Member

I mention that I have 1500 because I can still, from time to time, get 0 lag while playing. I have no idea what causes lag between a server and a player, but ping is not an accurate judge of it.

7. NosePicker5555

NosePicker5555 New Member

60ping. ◕ ‿ ◕

8. Harvest88

Harvest88 New Member

Wow. In my case it's is. I found out my router is dying that way so I had to shutdown my server on till I get a new one in about a week. Don't want any idiot contractions made that could "break" the server while I'm gone for at least a good week. Hopefully no more.

9. Dravarden

Dravarden New Member

I really have no idea how to check ping besides on the little bars in the player list.

10. TheMap

TheMap New Member

250-300 is acceptable for pvp. Anything above that i wouldn't recommend it. As far as building servers, as long as you can move and are not rubberbanding every few seconds your ping can be 1000.

11. Everlast

Everlast New Member

On Windows:
    Start -> cmd -> ping <ip>

12. Exedra

Exedra New Member

I usually find 3000 ping to be pretty acceptable. Being on the moon it's usually much higher.

ThatOneSlowking and Eyamaz like this.
  13. greatshooter

greatshooter New Member

Since i live in China and not many servers are hosted here and the "great" firewall of china(blocks youtube, facebook and twitter) while slowing the internet down a ton. I usually can stand my ping going over 800

14. Dravarden

Dravarden New Member

300 for PVP and 1000 for normal survival gameplay

15. FTBNorway

FTBNorway New Member

70< (blocks reappearing is quite annoying)

16. Hydra

Hydra New Member

50. Anything above and there's issues with the connection.

Not acceptable doesn't mean unplayable ofcourse. MC isn't really dependant on latency.

17. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

I'm trained to TF2's ping rating,

0-30 = Really close to the server, no way in hell you're going to lag
    60-90= Acceptable range, No notable lag
    100-150= Starting to notice lag
    150+ Inoperable lag