What mods to use alongside Rotarycraft(+ addons)?

Steve's Factory Manager or Buildcraft 7 (Base, Silicon, Transport + Logistic Pipes)?

• Steve's Factory Manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
I think the question is obvious :)
I (for mainly personal reasons) want to know what mods run well and mainly balanced alongside Rotarycraft.
Please only post suggestions of mods that add new or missing features that RC doesn't have (like large scale / precision automation) and integrate well into RC (Compatible power system / not adding new ores).
If a suggestion seems really fitting I'll add them to this list:

-OpenComputers
-Immibis' RedLogic
-JABBA
-Ironchest
-Buildcraft 7
-Steve's Factory Manager

Mods that are duplicating features RC already provides will be ignored.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not a hell of a lot goes well with Reika's mods other then Reika's mods. The only cross mod interactions tend to be one way, meaning it's RoC->everyone else but not everyone else->RoC.

I personally find his versions of pipes a tad clumsy and are frankly plain looking so I would suggest either EIO or thermal dynamics, maybe even ExtraUtils. EIO has the superior pipes but it's machines kind of go against your brief (doubling up features), and I'm not sure how you use Thermal Dynamics advanced pipes without Thermal Expansion (E.g filling redstone pipes, and making alloys like enderium)... Extra Ultils may be the best pick but the pipes look a bit plain, but they do logistics quite well.
There is also Steve's factory manager if you like messing with flow charts... (which few do)

Reactions: RedBoss

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
Not a hell of a lot goes well with Reika's mods other then Reika's mods. The only cross mod interactions tend to be one way, meaning it's RoC->everyone else but not everyone else->RoC.

I personally find his versions of pipes a tad clumsy and are frankly plain looking so I would suggest either EIO or thermal dynamics, maybe even ExtraUtils. EIO has the superior pipes but it's machines kind of go against your brief (doubling up features), and I'm not sure how you use Thermal Dynamics advanced pipes without Thermal Expansion (E.g filling redstone pipes, and making alloys like enderium)... Extra Ultils may be the best pick but the pipes look a bit plain, but they do logistics quite well.
There is also Steve's factory manager if you like messing with flow charts... (which few do)

The thing about pipes is right. I've tested many mods, including SFM, and found out about there Pros and Cons:
  • EnderIO: -Pipes slightly overpowered/stupid looking, -a whole bunch of feature overlapping, +Inventory Panel
  • Thermal Dynamics: -Depends on Thermal Foundation, -Focused on RF pipes, +good sorting functions, +balanced
  • ExtraUtilities: -Some feature overlapping, -many OP RF engines, -"simple" looking pipes, +powerful piping system
  • Steve's Factory Manager: -recipes need to be tweaked, -not everybody likes flow charts, +very powerful, +compact, +programming :)
  • Tubes!: -very simplified -seem a bit overpowered, +does its job
  • Buildcraft 7: -needs some recipe changes, +good sorting functions, +very balanced/needs user to think, +BC modules now separated
  • AE2: -overused -overpowered mechanics -new ores, -bad design choice: presses in asteroids, +very very powerful (lots of features)
  • Hopperducts: -not powerful enough, +balanced
  • Project Red: -depends on other PR modules, -forge multipart dependency , -overpowered, +many features (autocrafting on request)
IMO Steve's Factory Manager seems to be the best but I'm not sure because it could be overpowered. Buildcraft 7 would be my second choise but it lacks features like autocrafting on request, that only AE2, PR and Steve's Factory Manager support...

moltenbrain

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft plus logistic pipes for autocrafting on request. I've been using buildcraft in my rotarycraft pack and it is a pretty good pairing. The quarry of course is unnecessary.

I've found pneumaticcraft to be a good fit as well, especially since it provides a source of slime for magna cream and potentially automation for shearing of leaves for ethanol.

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft plus logistic pipes for autocrafting on request. I've been using buildcraft in my rotarycraft pack and it is a pretty good pairing. The quarry of course is unnecessary.

I've found pneumaticcraft to be a good fit as well, especially since it provides a source of slime for magna cream and potentially automation for shearing of leaves for ethanol.

I was also thinking about Logistic Pipes, but its not really updated to BC 7. Somehow the recipes don't work...

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
The thing about pipes is right. I've tested many mods, including SFM, and found out about there Pros and Cons:
  • EnderIO: -Pipes slightly overpowered/stupid looking, -a whole bunch of feature overlapping, +Inventory Panel
  • Thermal Dynamics: -Depends on Thermal Foundation, -Focused on RF pipes, +good sorting functions, +balanced
  • ExtraUtilities: -Some feature overlapping, -many OP RF engines, -"simple" looking pipes, +powerful piping system
  • Steve's Factory Manager: -recipes need to be tweaked, -not everybody likes flow charts, +very powerful, +compact, +programming :)
  • Tubes!: -very simplified -seem a bit overpowered, +does its job
  • Buildcraft 7: -needs some recipe changes, +good sorting functions, +very balanced/needs user to think, +BC modules now separated
  • AE2: -overused -overpowered mechanics -new ores, -bad design choice: presses in asteroids, +very very powerful (lots of features)
  • Hopperducts: -not powerful enough, +balanced
  • Project Red: -depends on other PR modules, -forge multipart dependency , -overpowered, +many features (autocrafting on request)
IMO Steve's Factory Manager seems to be the best but I'm not sure because it could be overpowered. Buildcraft 7 would be my second choise but it lacks features like autocrafting on request, that only AE2, PR and Steve's Factory Manager support...

If you want autocrafting on request, that's what Logistics Pipes is for. Or you could just make your own "autocrafting on request" system by feeding Paper to the correct Recipe Packagers via Lenses or some other thingamajig. You could also use Delivery Robots, which provide a mini-routing system based on requests (gate A requests item A, robot looks for providers of item A and sends them to the pipe that gate is on). We briefly used to have Crafting Robots, but that is no longer the case due to their severe limitations and uselessness (only 4 inventory slots...)

(Also, SFM is the most powerful automation mod there is, beating even computer mods.)

Reactions: Padfoote

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
If you want autocrafting on request, that's what Logistics Pipes is for. Or you could just make your own "autocrafting on request" system by feeding Paper to the correct Recipe Packagers via Lenses or some other thingamajig. You could also use Delivery Robots, which provide a mini-routing system based on requests (gate A requests item A, robot looks for providers of item A and sends them to the pipe that gate is on). We briefly used to have Crafting Robots, but that is no longer the case due to their severe limitations and uselessness (only 4 inventory slots...)

(Also, SFM is the most powerful automation mod there is, beating even computer mods.)
The question really is: BC or SFM, which one fits better with RoC.
I love both mods and want to thank the BC team for with BC7, they did an amazing job!
The thing with BC is that I only would be using the Core, Transport and Silicon modules. I wouldn't use Robotics because it has too many feature overlaps with RoC, like farming and mining. Building an autocrafting system using only these three modules would be very hard but would also be a lot of fun (, you also would have to use the RoC's Autocraftingunit, because the Factory module isn't installed). I think I'll have to wait until Logistic Pipes is updated to be at least playable.
And yes, SFM is really, really powerful! But like Buildcraft, you need to think a lot to achieve your goals but SFM provides extra methodes for counting items and is generally more precise.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You wouldn't even need to remove recipes. Simply avoid using what overlaps with Reika's mods.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I'll also change all BC gears to their RoC equivalents :D

This should be cool, just a word of warning; Don't try to tweak things the other way. RoC has code that prohibits it's recipes from being toyed with, nothing really bad will happen but you might find your tweaks not working. Tweakers unaware of the code could cause themselves hours of frustration.
I think using RoC items for other mods things should work though.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
I personally use Buildcraft, because it requires you to actually think about and engineer pipe systems. That and it's fun to watch stuff whizz around through a tangled web of pipes.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I use Railcraft, because one thing RoC lacks is a good long distance transport mechanism. And given the way ReactorCraft reactors are prone to exploding, I don't want them too nearby. Plus I like to set it up so RoC Steel works for Railcraft stuff. But that's only because I'm always producing a lot of RoC steel and it's gated by the gunpowder rather than the nether, which I like.

Reactions: Padfoote

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
I use Railcraft, because one thing RoC lacks is a good long distance transport mechanism. And given the way ReactorCraft reactors are prone to exploding, I don't want them too nearby. Plus I like to set it up so RoC Steel works for Railcraft stuff. But that's only because I'm always producing a lot of RoC steel and it's gated by the gunpowder rather than the nether, which I like.
RoC actually provides a decent way of long range transport: the Pneumatic Item Pump! They are fairly cheap, and when powered with a steam engine they will instantly transport your items. The only real problem with them is chunkloading... Ok, adding RC would be a pretty nice idea :D

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Theres also the item cannon.
Unless you want to get clever with the block ram and bore ;)

This should be cool, just a word of warning; Don't try to tweak things the other way. RoC has code that prohibits it's recipes from being toyed with, nothing really bad will happen but you might find your tweaks not working. Tweakers unaware of the code could cause themselves hours of frustration.
I think using RoC items for other mods things should work though.
Using RoC to other mods is totally fine.
The recipe thing is changing with v7??(soon anyway), so it'll be easier to do and eligible for modpacks.