What mods do you recommend for a quest heavy modpack?

fizzydog64

Jul 29, 2019
Long story short, I'm planning on making a modpack which focuses on CustomNPCs, and if necessary HQM to allow certain functions.

I'm planning on having it work in two sections, with one being adventure and dungeons, and one being either openworld and minecraft-y, or skyblock. The idea is that you'd get your armor and the like for the dungeons from the other part of the game.

So, its left me with three questions:

A: What mods would be the best for a combat and adventured focused map? These dont have to be the literal ideal or the most popular, any suggestions might help make a much better experience.

B: What mods would be the best for a magic/tech pack. Similar to above, they don't have to be popular, the more obscure mods might be interesting.

C: If you were to play a modpack which is more linear than most, which mods would you want included? If you wanted a more hardcore modpack, what should I add? Any suggestions?

So... Anyone got any ideas? Anything would be fantastic. Below is a list of mods already included.
  • Custom NPCs
  • HQM
  • Decocraft
  • Carpenters Blocks
  • Flans mod
  • Chisel
  • Tinkers' Construct
  • Extra TiC
  • Iguana Tinker Tweaks
  • Warp Book
  • Multiworld
  • Bibliocraft
  • Bibliocraft Natura
  • Natura
  • AE2
  • Blue Power
  • SecurityCraft
  • Malisis Doors
  • Infinity Coins
  • Key and Code Lock Mod
  • Metallurgy 4
  • Open Blocks
  • Pam's Harvestcraft
  • Thaumcraft
  • Thermal Expansion
  • Railcraft
  • Random Things
  • Redstone Arsenal
  • Simply Jetpacks
  • WR-CBE
  • Ztones
  • Extra Utilities
  • Thermal Dynamics
  • Minefactory Reloaded
  • Compact Storage
  • Adventure Backport
  • Minetweaker 3
  • CustomItems
  • Multiworld
  • Hardcore Darkness
  • Cooking for Blockheads
  • Agricraft

Last edited:

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
What version of MC is the pack going to be in? I know mods that are only 1.7, and a few that are only 1.8. Here are some mods, with the versions:

A: Special mobs, Infernal mobs. You might want to look at recurrent complex, or similar mods.

B: Mekanism as a tech mod, so that you at least don't use the standard Ender Io and Thermal Expansion.

B: Intangible, magic mod based on collecting souls from mobs.

General:
C: For a more hardcore modpack, hardcore darkness is quite nice. Also enviromine, just not with the insanity, i find it really annoying, and it wouldn't fit. For a linear pack, try to use minetweaker to actually make each step help towards the next, instead of it feeling like random tasks, just put in some order to make it more linear.

fizzydog64

Jul 29, 2019
In an ideal world I'd be using 1.8, but since so many mods aren't updated to that I don't think I could cut it. Also, definitely adding hardcore darkness and potentially enviromine, thanks for that

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
If anything, I would say if there was a mod that could control people's gamemodes depending on what area they are in. For example, a dungeon that forces people to adventure mode, and survival outside that area, have people turn to spectator mode when they die, and have a specific area that can 'ressurect' dead players. I don't know if ACE is able to do that or if command blocks can even do that? I'm sure a plugin could, but that's Bukkit Territory.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Command blocks can do that, using the rm and r tags. If you use @a[rm=50], you'll target everyone that's a minimum of 50 blocks away. If you combine that with an @a[r=50] to put them in another gamemode, it would work quite nicely.

fizzydog64

Jul 29, 2019
I was planning on doing that, the issue is adventure mode still lets you break and place a lot of stuff

N1ghtWolf213

Jul 29, 2019
Carpenters blocks is a great mod for decor and hidden lighting. There also used to be a method to make carpenters blocks unbreakable in adventure mode but I don't know how to or if it still exists.
~N1ghtWolf213

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
I think there's an adventure backport mod, that prevents that, even in 1.7.10. That should fix your problem.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
I think hardcore darkness would be better, especially since colored lighting doesn't add that much to the gameplay, will hardcore darkness does.