What modpack for Laptop

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

olem88

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Was wondering which modpack is suitable for my laptop.
Spec:
Intel I7 4500U (says @1.8ghz, but clockspeed is 3ghz)
8GB DDR3
Onboard Geoforce 840M.

I wanted to try Enigmatic 2, but says out of memory before Minecraft launches. (Already allocated 4GB in launcher). Same with continuum, out of memory before game starts.

I havnt played minecraft in ages, last was direwolf 3-4 years ago (I think), so is there any packs that offer "beginner guides" Im not a big fan of the magic stuff (mostly because i dont understand it), but id prefer machines and electricity.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I think what you have will work. It will probably run with very low FPS. But make sure that you have java 8 64 bit installed, make sure your OS is 64 bit as well. Then go into the settings for the twitch launcher and make sure the launch method is set to Jar Launcher. Then set the memory somewhere between 4.5 GB and 5.5GB. Try to avoid going above 5GB because your OS needs a certain amount of RAM to work. It will also help if you close the launcher and anything else you have open after launching the game to free memory.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think what you have will work. It will probably run with very low FPS. But make sure that you have java 8 64 bit installed, make sure your OS is 64 bit as well. Then go into the settings for the twitch launcher and make sure the launch method is set to Jar Launcher. Then set the memory somewhere between 4.5 GB and 5.5GB. Try to avoid going above 5GB because your OS needs a certain amount of RAM to work. It will also help if you close the launcher and anything else you have open after launching the game to free memory.

You may also have to go in and limit the amount of memory your on-board GPU can use as well. I have a similar setup, AMD Ryzen GPU w/Vega Graphics and 8GB DDR4. The minimum ram I can set for GPU use is 1 or 2GB. That means I only have a total of 6-7GB available for programs, including the OS. I can run modded MC but it still isn't pretty.

In my case, the GPU will automatically (if not limited) use half of installed ram up to 8GB total so If I wanted the best video performance I'd need to upgrade my laptop to 16GB.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Interesting about the on board GPU memory usage. I didn't know that. Let see what the OP does with this info and hopefully this will allow him to run the 1.12 packs.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand why your laptop wont run Minecraft. I run a laptop with an i7 2nd gen 2.8 ghz, 12gb ram, 3gb gpu and I can run all the mods 3 on max settings fine.

If you don't have fan or other chill pad under your laptop, you need one.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Interesting about the on board GPU memory usage. I didn't know that. Let see what the OP does with this info and hopefully this will allow him to run the 1.12 packs.

The specifics in my post only apply to new AMD APUs as far as I know... Your mileage with Intel may differ.

Before they started putting real GPUs in laptops the maximum ram usage by Integrated graphics was usually 250-512 MB, fine for business apps or even video but not nearly enough for Minecraft, or most AAA games for that matter.

I dont understand why your laptop wont run Minecraft. I run a laptop with an i7 2nd gen 2.8 ghz, 12gb ram, 3gb gpu and I can run all the mods 3 on max settings fine.

If you don't have fan or other chill pad under your laptop, you need one.

You also have 3GB more ram than the op, leaving your system to function on 8GB which is plenty for Modded MC, Java and the OS. There's an outside chance that your GPU has 3GB of dedicated ram in addition to the 12GB you indicated, but in my experience I've not seen that setup in laptops costing less than $2000-2500.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
You also have 3GB more ram than the op, leaving your system to function on 8GB which is plenty for Modded MC, Java and the OS. There's an outside chance that your GPU has 3GB of dedicated ram in addition to the 12GB you indicated, but in my experience I've not seen that setup in laptops costing less than $2000-2500.

I have an MSI laptop, can't tell you exactly which one as I am not in front of it. It has been a good machine and I LOVE the dual internal fans. They go a long way to help cool the machine. My only complaint is the casing is some sort of painted on material and has rubbed off where my hand rests. Only cost me around $1000 when I bought it.

S

SomeRandomPetey

You may want to allocate more RAM. Most packs require 4-6 GB, I had a similar issue as well.