What marks a mod/item as "OP" or "Unbalanced"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So TT and EnderIO are OP.

Oh no, It's so OP, I can see where I'm walking..

It's not really you're place to judge what he feels to be OP or UP. They just are to him. Accept it as a possible view and move on.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
It's not really you're place to judge what he feels to be OP or UP. They just are to him. Accept it as a possible view and move on.
Oh, it's my place to judge, I just shouldn't enforce my opinion. It's like saying that I can't state my opinion to a person who prefers IC2 over TE. I can state my opinion, I just shouldn't make someone believe in it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Oh, it's my place to judge, I just shouldn't enforce my opinion. It's like saying that I can't state my opinion to a person who prefers IC2 over TE. I can state my opinion, I just shouldn't make someone believe in it.

Let me rephrase then:

Keep it to yourself.

Your post was a clear mockery of his opinion. It is unacceptable that because your opinions differ you choose to say something to mock his opinion when yours holds no more or less weight over anyone than his. Masking mockery under the guise of an opinion is not welcome here.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Let me rephrase then:

Keep it to yourself.

Your post was a clear mockery of his opinion. It is unacceptable that because your opinions differ you choose to say something to mock his opinion when yours holds no more or less weight over anyone than his. Masking mockery under the guise of an opinion is not welcome here.
Well sorry. I wasn't trying to mock his opinions, I was merely trying to state my opinion. I occasionally have trouble sometimes. And, yes, I do have medical reasons.

MrDrayth

Jul 29, 2019
Alot of people consider efficient things too OP even if it takes alot of effort/progression to get that far, while not all OP/Cheaty things are actually OP/Cheaty, some are. Stuff like Myst Worlds ifyou're lucky enough to get a Diamond Ore Block page + tendrils and use a Luck or Silk Touch Hammer from TiC, to Pulverize into multiple diamonds if you silk touch'd, would be OP to alot of people, but A) you have to find those pages, and B) You have to build a world around them, and anyone who's tried to build a stable mystcraft age, especially with Ore-related modifiers, knows what a bitch that can be.

Hell, some people call Solar OP simply because it requires little upkeep/input, the old EE2 Cow-Milking-Powered infinite power thing was a bit OP but also required a buttload of time and work to set up properly so it's debatably OP. It really does boil down to your own opinion, though. Unless you're playing on an SMP server with strict rules, decide what you like and change the configs yourself. I add a few extra mods to my pack like Soul Shards Reborn to get proper SS instead of the crap that SS2 is, Advanced Solar Panels because Hybrids are awesome if I go that route(TE3's Dynamos are more alluring these days though), and a few others, while also disabling utter shit like Gregtech and Hard Recipes that go too far "in my opinion" with mat/work requirements e.g; any Sunnarium shit. That's just -me- though, and just what I manually change. As long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

It's only a shame when it's completely removed(and wasn't CLEARLY OP/Super-cheaty, which there hasn't been a ton of genuinely-so things so far, just some) rather than tweaked and/or set on/off the interactions in configs.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Compared to vanilla MC just about every mod is OP. The idea that a mod can be OP kinda goes with the territory. The more constructive argument is made on a case by case basis surrounding the spirit or purpose of the mod pack as a whole. If the mod pack is designed around difficult exploration, having something like MPS without nerfing some of the gear could be considered OP as it catapults you from the intended difficulty of the pack.

Something can also be said about having a mod in a pack at all when it doesnt address the intended purpose of the mod pack as a whole but it just there because its popular or cool.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think any Mods are really "OP" or "Unbalanced" it's just when you add them with other mods it can degrade the game play of that mod. I do find some items can be "OP" or "Unbalanced".

One example Thaumcraft 4 & Mekanism both really good mods. With the Mekanism "cardboard box" you can move Thaumcraft nodes with them and it also resets the node so if you don't like that node just reset it with the cardboard box. I feel that this destroys that intend game play for Thaumcraft.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think any Mods are really "OP" or "Unbalanced" it's just when you add them with other mods it can degrade the game play of that mod. I do found some items can be "OP" or "Unbalanced".

One example Thaumcraft 4 & Mekanism both really good mods. With the Mekanism "cardboard box" you can move Thaumcraft nodes with them and it also resets the node so if you don't like that node just reset it with the cardboard box. I feel that this destroys that intend game play for Thaumcraft.
Did not know that thank you. Did you know that you can break nodes?

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
It is very easy to tell what is OP and what is not, just use this simple math equation.

Chance of being OP (in %) = (i±√(-4fc))^(t-27+c/q)

"i" represents the item/block ID.
"f" represents the amount of FTB forum members on the particular day this is calculated.
"t" represents the time from when this post when posted, in femtoseconds.
"c" represents the speed of light, in knots.
"q"? I'm not quite sure what stood for, I think it was either Pi or the mod authors name as a Base-36 number system.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
OP is in the eye of the beholder.

Totally dependent on who the user is and what their own scale of balance is like.

To quite a handful, anything less than GT's tedium is considered OP.

While to some others, xray and creative flight for free is what they deem fair game.

Some like it in the middle and some like to take it from the back.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy and psp

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It's also highly useful for building up a supply of ender pearls early in the game, as many people (myself included) have noticed endermen being rather difficult to find/kill in Monster to get the pearls. If you can get just one pearl, each mimichite used will give back 16 ender pearl dust (PortalGun), and then 9 of those craft back into 1 ender pearl. Rinse/repeat until you have enough pearls to go to The End.

I posted in another thread asking about the "Mimicry" mod. This is one of the responses.

Can we at least all agree that mods like this one are ridiculously OP? Why should one ore double every other ore in the game? Really?

And infinite enderpearls? Come on. Sheesh.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I posted in another thread asking about the "Mimicry" mod. This is one of the responses.

Can we at least all agree that mods like this one are ridiculously OP? Why should one ore double every other ore in the game? Really?

And infinite enderpearls? Come on. Sheesh.

Eh....no. You are free to disable/remove the mod. Not everyone shares the same view as you do. Trying to shove your view down other people's throat isn't a good thing to do unless you are prepared to have others trying to do the same thing to you too.

I do not use the mod because I find Magical Crops + DartCraft's Time Torch is better and more fun to watch.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Eh....no. You are free to disable/remove the mod. Not everyone shares the same view as you do. Trying to shove your view down other people's throat isn't a good thing to do unless you are prepared to have others trying to do the same thing to you too.

I do not use the mod because I find Magical Crops + DartCraft's Time Torch is better and more fun to watch.

Any mod that creates a recursive loop resulting in an infinite amount of a resource is overpowered literally by the very definition of the word. But apparently according to your response, we can't even agree on that. I find that mystifying but so be it.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
With a nearly infinite world, and given nearly infinite time, there is infinite stuff. Just having a mod that lets you cut to the quick on that isnt necessarily OP so long as it takes some level of knowledge to construct and maintain relative to other methods in the modpack IMO.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
With a nearly infinite world, and given nearly infinite time, there is infinite stuff. Just having a mod that lets you cut to the quick on that isnt necessarily OP so long as it takes some level of knowledge to construct and maintain relative to other methods in the modpack IMO.

So why not just play Creative mode?