What make you stay on a server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
As the title says - what is the most important properties of a server that makes you stick to that one over the countless other ones that is available? I'm not thinking of the obvious ones like no lag and good uptimes, but more relating to the community and the gameplay experience overall.

What really makes it for me is a smaller-ish server with active and friendly people that get close together and can trust eachother. With that, stuff like a short list of banned items and very few grief problems usually comes by itself.
I don't really care about whether it's whitelisted or not, but I usually visit non-whitelisted first since I can try it out immediately without having to wait for it to be approved.
With that said, you should understand that I'm no one you'll see on these massive 200 slot servers too often, you're way more likely to find me on a 25 slot one that has 5 people online ;)

So, what is your opinions on the perfect FTB server?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

acker

Jul 29, 2019
Minimal lag.
Friendly people.
Non-abusive moderation.
Have I said minimal lag?
If it has RP, it should be optional.
Only general rules. Don't tell people to build only on this or that chunk, build houses only made of stone, or something like that.
Teamspeak is great!
Some personal and protected space is great too.
No hackers and cheaters.

And that's why I don't play on servers anymore.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Minimal lag. check
Friendly people. check
Non-abusive moderation. check
Have I said minimal lag? check
If it has RP, it should be optional. check, no RP
Only general rules. Don't tell people to build only on this or that chunk, build houses only made of stone, or something like that. check
Teamspeak is great! have it, we don't currently use it
Some personal and protected space is great too. no need
No hackers and cheaters.check

And that's why I don't play on servers anymore.

I love our lil' server :)

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't play singleplayer as there isn't any commands if you do need them for administrative reasons so I just make a 4-10 person server with a VPN as my internet cannot be portforwarded right now because of apple airport >_> I like being able to install any mod I want, configure them to balance them, no hackers/cheaters or abusive administrators, no building rules, can load as many chunks as I want without it lagging more or less so far, and just having a great time with my friends.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
#1 the community.
#2 lag free or as near as possible.
#3 active admin/staff.
#4 low count on banned items.
#5 mature nutballs like my self.

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
An admin/mod that doesn't abuse his power (kill commands, giving himself stuff, ect) unless need be (chunk lag issues, griefing) but then it isn't abuse.

Ability to do what you want, within reason.

Players who do what they can to reduce lag.

Plays who play together and have fun.

I prefer PVP allowed ones, though not ones that focus on it (I want to be able to have an agreed upon fight with someone with out having to break the rules somehow.)

Ones who are talkative, but not abusive, and who are willing to help other players with understanding mods/building buildings.

I prefer white listeded ones and ones that do stuff as a group.

Reactions: ThrillBird

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
For me it's the friendliness of the people, assuming all technical things are in order. Low/no lag and some form of property protection are examples of those technical things.

What mods (or parts of mods) are enabled or disabled are less important for me (usually I consider doing things without the disabled mods/items a challenge) and I don't care for things like team speak.

As for server size, I really don't care much. I like the more personal contact on a smaller server, but on a big server you can make friends as well and have that personal interaction.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Backups.
No lag.
Backups.
Have I mentioned no lag? When I see a server running 20 plugins and 10 people on 2 gigs of memory I want to shoot them.
Self moderation. Be an asshole, get banned.

xXShadowOo

Jul 29, 2019
Good Community.
No lag.
Minimum amount of banned items.
I honestly prefer servers with no plugins.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The people are the only thing I really care about. The game is merely something we do to occupy ourselves with between conversation as well as something we can work on as a group.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
for me it's the smaller communities and deffinetly not to laggy it's modded minecraft and that tend's to go with the territory. The people make the server so if I find a bad one I have no quarm's about not going back.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
if you can get random people to bond, and playcate to their wants but not make it exclusive, you've got a community for good.

ThrillBird

Jul 29, 2019
Seems everyone agrees with small communities.
Quite interesting to see actually! I was thinking that there would be a lot of different opinions, but just as you said we (who yet have posted) seem to share the same thoughts!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
Quite interesting to see actually! I was thinking that there would be a lot of different opinions, but just as you said we (who yet have posted) seem to share the same thoughts!

Very large vanilla servers can be a lot of fun, but when you're dealing with a lot of mods and a lot of time invested, I prefer to have a smaller community. 5-8 people max is good. As long as they're active and you can trust them.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't every one agree also with servers that doesn't make you pay money for virtual items or "premium" packs? I especially hate servers that also charge you a monthly bill like a gas or electric bill. Instead of those cash cows I'm going to setup voluntarily donations so no one have to pay a dime but if they wanna keep the server on they can pitch in a couple of bucks in the "hat". Cause in reality what's last longer than cash cows is a strong community that together keep the server rolling. Also I purchased the server from the most effective hardware per dollar. So efficient that I could only get about a 4GB shared server for the same price as the dedicated I'm running on with 8GB! If anyone interested with my GT server then you can shoot me a PM and we are a small server and generally playing "coop style".