What Looks Better? (Your Personal Opinion)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Thatguy14

Jul 29, 2019
2013-02-07_18.56.52.pngPink & White w/ Pink Trim
2013-02-07_18.58.10.pngBrown & White w/ Brown Trim

Reactions: KirinDave

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the look you're going for. I love construction foam w/paint for a clean futuristic look. The brick is better for a dungeony/old world look.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I think you should do different colors for different rooms. Maybe your energy room could have a hallway leading to it that's yellow, a mob spawner could be red, farms could be green, etc. Black and white would be general.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Totally love the look of the CF. I like the bricks but like others have said you see it too much.

Thatguy14

Jul 29, 2019
I think you should do different colors for different rooms. Maybe your energy room could have a hallway leading to it that's yellow, a mob spawner could be red, farms could be green, etc. Black and white would be general.
It would be cool if you can color different sides of the foam. like one side is black the other side is green. that would be amazin' to see. But I would do that cause I love the idea. but idk how I would implement that because my base is gonna consist of several hallways. just leading to Rooms & stuff.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you have one leading to a farm, make it green, but if the hallway is leading to your energy storage, make it green and yellow? No, what if it lead to three...okay, what if it were farm, all green, then when it was going to energy, all yellow, and when it finished at mob spawner, make the rest of it red? I am not sure. One color would be a lot easier to make, simply because you don't have to pre-designate all your rooms before you start your build.

I think it's a bit harder for me to help you now :p
But, a central room leading to different rooms (storage, certain mod rooms) with only one "subject" in the entire hallway would benefit from using multiple colors. Big room would be black, then hallways branching off would be the other colors.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
It would be cool if you can color different sides of the foam. like one side is black the other side is green. that would be amazin' to see. But I would do that cause I love the idea. but idk how I would implement that because my base is gonna consist of several hallways. just leading to Rooms & stuff.
Microblocks

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
How can you color foam with micro blocks? It's not a redpower compatible block.... You cannot pick this block up.

Since you are living in the underground, see little reason to color different sides, unless you're at a corner. I guess what you could do is make that initial corner white (or whatever color that room's going to be), and if you want to change the color, put a distinguished border within the hallway (nothing fancy just a vertical line of the old or new line), then continue the new color there. Can't test it to show you, unfortunately, but what else are you going to have in this base of yours?

I just started playing on a new server, so I have to make a new base. I'm probably going to steal your idea, if that's okay with you :p

Thatguy14

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhh. Wait. I'm talking about inside the room ITSELF. like I was talking about the hallway color & when you go inside the room itself the room color.
I'm gonna have my mob spawners oviously. I'mma have the Auto Farm rooms. I'mma make the machine rooms. basically anything that should be desired to have its' on independent room.
& No Problem! Can't let a good idea go to waste. sadly I play independently on my SSP world. I would play multi but to many problems with it (A.K.A banned items, little 10 year olds that won't stop spammingg. griefing)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I like both the looks of brick and CF, but the application differs. Bricks work bettere in combination with natural resources like stone and wood whereas CF looks better in futuristic buildings (like a spaceship).

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, finding a server has been a tough job. Since FTB is "new(er than Tekkit)" and much less popular, servers are young and some owners may not know what they're doing. I'd recommend to find a small server. Big server: more lag+more grievers=banned items. I think in your home, instead of making everything one level, make multiple levels. It would really look cool. Even windows in rooms that let you see other rooms could look nice.

Thatguy14

Jul 29, 2019
I might put a Rail under my base going to each room. because when I get alot of rooms I might get confused on what is which. i think that's a great idea. & about the server. the only way I would play on a server is if I am sure I won't get bothered 24/7 with Nonsense

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
The other advantage of CF is that it is 100% creeper-grade blast proof.

Marble/basalt brick are only blast resistant.

Found that out the hard way after a creeper blew up on my marble brick walkway and destroyed 2 blocks (still a lot better than a giant hole). Also had a creeper blow up on my CF doorway, and I only had to replace the obsidian pressure plate.

Useful if you have a lighting issue and a creeper spawns in (or you build indoor Soul Shard farms).

Thatguy14

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! so I won't havee to worry about creepers wanting to "help" with the building. Nice! :D
Note: You guys did say it was blast proof. but not 100%. If that's even true

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What other kinds of rooms will you have? Mabe a thaum room. Purple would go nicely for that. I've never gotten far in any FTBase, so I don't know what to have. I did have a portal room in one, that could be purple too (for portal blocks). Guess thaumcraft would be another color!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Just hitting the like button doesn't fully express how much I like this idea. I'm setting up to do a Let's Play with a friend and I think this will be our goal, too. It has a Star Trek kind of feel.