What is this infernal contraption!?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
So, I just made this fairly simple, yet very evil device. Here's a pic:

I'll give a cookie to anyway who can (rather easily) guess just what this device was designed to do and how effective it is at doing it~

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, and it can launch nukes over 300m from cloud level to sea level. Sure, it's not as accurate as ICBM, but not everyone uses that mod. the great thing is once you have it built all you have to do is replace the tnt and the nuke before you fire it again, no need to replace anything if you build it properly. Also, due to it actually launching the nuke away from you, the only ones getting radiation will be those at the target area.

Edit: I just messed with it a little more and added a longer-range barrel extension and support for nuke clusters. Basically, I increased the range by about 50m by added a barrel and made it so you can launch 7 nukes instead of 1 at a time.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Needs to be higher.

Everyone knows the only way to nuke is from orbit.

It is after all as they say... the only way to be sure.

Reactions: MagusUnion

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
It is indeed made from warded stone and I built at at max height as well, during my cluster testing with it I made a timing mistake that caused it to cause a massive blast along the whole 300m firing distance, rather than a focused blast at the target area, so that looked kinda cool. I actually tried nukes for launching force and they're worse than tnt, the nukes and itnt seem to have no propelling force worth mentioning - not to mention using a nuke to launch another nuke causes the same adverse effects at the cannon. The cannon I placed at max possible height also didn't increase its max distance, so the only really reason to build higher would be to shoot it over a mountain and through the woods.

As for frames, I'm not sure they would be able to move warded stone, and I'm not very familiar with getting the frames working to begin with. It really was just a proof of concept to see if it was possible to make a cannon that didn't blow out.

Some other tests I did were some direction blast cones done by focusing the blast using warded stone. You can actually get some pretty good looking visual effects by doing even something as small as placing the nuke on a warded stone and making sure it falls right on top of it - this makes the place have a pyramid effect.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You don't undersand. It not about range.

Nuke the site from orbit.

It is the only way to be sure.

If you don't know that qoute you have missed out on a really good movie.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
You don't undersand. It not about range.

Nuke the site from orbit.

It is the only way to be sure.

If you don't know that qoute you have missed out on a really good movie.

Not nearly as good as the first movie in that series.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I know the quote, just can't remember which movie it's from : /

Here's a before and after pic in a new redstone ready world:
Before
zwm8n.png

After
w6Fnz.jpg

The shots aren't taken from the exact same spot, but the after photo is from a single-shot 7 nuke cluster - there are some small rings that show up on the map but that was from some more directional blast testing that did some pretty nice designs before I accidentally undershot my target. Some things to note - too long of a barrel and the nuke won't even leave it and sometimes it'll just kinda drip outta the cannon - too short a barrel and you don't get the most distance possible and lose a little accuracy.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea of using the mystcraft portals, if the lit nukes are indeed entities. It means you have to go in and 'paint' the target first (by creating the linking book at the point you want the nuke to go). Though, you could combine the barrel with the 'retain momentum' quality and still 'paint' from a distance.

Reactions: Korenn

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Wireless redstone + launcher hidden in a secret base + portals = tactical nuclear strike at the push of a button.

/me likes a lot

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it would work, but you could go proper Bond villain and have a CC crafty turtle do the target aquisition then return with the target co-ordinates (linking book). Then you never even have to leave your bunker. All hinges on whether the crafted linkbook would be valid though. I don't know how the mechanics work with crafty turtles and mystcraft.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested mystcraft portals and sadly the nukes go straight through em. While it's not as good as a nuke, you could probably can do it with tnt carts though and you can make em outta wood.

Edit: Now that's odd though, just sending a nuke through a portal normally works....might have been a problem with the linking book I was using or something.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it would work, but you could go proper Bond villain and have a CC crafty turtle do the target aquisition then return with the target co-ordinates (linking book). Then you never even have to leave your bunker. All hinges on whether the crafted linkbook would be valid though. I don't know how the mechanics work with crafty turtles and mystcraft.
I tested it, a book binds to wherever you first hold it, not to where it was crafted. :-(

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Blast!

Well, if you want a job done right I guess you really do need to do it yourself.

and I so wanted to be able to send forth my carefully coded minions.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, you can't send a nuke through a portal through a cannon, but you can do it by just dropping it into the portal. I bet it has to do with how fast the nuke is being propelled through the portal....gonna try changing a good deal of the barrel into the crystal.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, without a link modifier, you'll have to do the bombing from a different dimension... which in many ways is even more ridiculous.
It does remove some of the drama, though.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, if you just increase the length of the crystal in the barrel it will still port through it, so while it's less efficient then just dropping the nuke through a portal it certainly feels a lot more fun.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested mystcraft portals and sadly the nukes go straight through em. While it's not as good as a nuke, you could probably can do it with tnt carts though and you can make em outta wood.

Edit: Now that's odd though, just sending a nuke through a portal normally works....might have been a problem with the linking book I was using or something.

It could be the speed of the Nuke caused it to glitch through the portal.

Most games have a point where things can glitch through each other at high enough speeds, and seeing how fast things can fly out of a cannon I wouldn't be too surprised if you passed that mark for MC xD