What is the perfect stats for a production bee?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently been exposed to extra bees and messing with their BDNA. I am a little confuse in what I have read about what the traits do, so I thought I would ask. What are the best traits to have for a bee that you want to produce the most amount of combs or biproduct that you can?

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
That would be fastest productivity+alveary + 18 frame housing with 15-18 impregnated/proven frames and 0-3 choco frames (use longest lifespan..).

EDIT: After some tests it appears that 2 choco frames+longest lifespan doesn't increase the amount of comb produced/time compared to no choco frame+shorter lifespan.

EDIT2: I was testing with platinum bee with fast speed+alveary+18 frame housings and I got yield of 27.5 sec/comb. (the time shown in apiarist databank is 2.5 hours/comb).

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
by fastest productivity do you mean speed? There is no trait on the beealyzer entitled productivity

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
And, if you don't want any extra drones you would want to have a fertility of 1. Easier to automate that way but not entirely necessary, you could have the extra drones dropped from the pipesystem, they will disappear quickly enough. But for extra bees the extra drones are actually useful so you could try to max it instead and send them to be turned into BDNA. Requires more intelligent gate system than just sending all the bees back.

Zund

Jul 29, 2019
Nocturnal and Flier are also important, although with Mystcraft ages or regular sleeping you won't absolutely need them. Cave-dwelling can be useful but it's far from essential.

Edit: Some quick tests show that bees consider the times 12550-23450 to be night. Meaning a standard bee will only work about 54.6% of a full day/night cycle, so Nocturnal can raise productivity by up to 83%.
Flier is much less predictable but will most likely be between 10-30%, rainmakers and Thaumcraft flux can however make this vary wildly.
Again all of these numbers will be reduced significantly with frequent sleeping, or completely negated by eternal day/no weather Mystcraft ages.

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on making an oil factory out of distilled bees, I havent messed around with caving but I want to see if I can put apiaries almost stacked in order to save room. I already gave them nocturnal, flier, and caving....just have to put it to the test

Reactions: TheLegendaryFoxFire

Njord

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question along this topic.
For better production, what lifespan is the best for the bees?
a short one or longer one?

Chance

Jul 29, 2019
Longer, especially if you don't have an automated system. For breeding to new species go with the shortest, but once you got your production bee make it the longest you have available.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't fast the highest speed for productivity in bees if you don't have thaumic bees installed?

I currently have

Speed: Fast
Life: Longest
T: U&D 3
H: U&D 2
Flier, nocturnal, cave
Beautific
Max fertility (Passive DNA production)

I'm hoping they add Thaumic Bee's to mindcrack so I can get better territory and pollination stats...

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If you have your aviaries automated, does the life length even matter?

I currently have my bees at:

Life: whatever
T: +/- 2
H: +/- 2
Flyer, nocturnal, cave
No effect
Flowers
4 drones

I plan on breeding in the longest life trait at some point, but best I have currently are the valiant bees with Long.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
If you have your aviaries automated, does the life length even matter?

I currently have my bees at:

Life: whatever
T: +/- 2
H: +/- 2
Flyer, nocturnal, cave
No effect
Flowers
4 drones

I plan on breeding in the longest life trait at some point, but best I have currently are the valiant bees with Long.

You can actually get Arid bees which will have the "None" for flowers, making it so your bees will work regardless of what is nearby. Very handy if you ask me.

I like the explorer effect for passive xp gains while I work with my bees.

How fast is the passive xp? Is it noticeable? I use beautific in general.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You can get Faster pollination (but not Fastest) from several bees but notably the Rural from base Forestry.

Also, I strongly prefer Explorer for a standardized effect. Gain levels while wandering my bee fields.

voidreality

Jul 29, 2019
How fast is the passive xp? Is it noticeable? I use beautific in general.

Yes it's noticeable. You just gain passive levels while working on your bees. It's great. Also, I just found the "fastest" productivity trait from Aura bees. Just bumped up all my production! :)