What is the bottleneck

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Hello, FTB Forums! I have a computer with the following basic specifications:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 x8 (Clocked at 4,000mhz with performance CPU controller)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
HDD: ATA EDC WD20EZRX-00D
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: 8GB (Two identical 4gb sticks at 1.6ghz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS

When I run FTB DIrewolf20 (1.7) on this computer, I can't break past 60 FPS (even with vsync off). I get anywhere from 5-59 FPS with constant jumps between different FPSes. I would like to know what it is I need to fix in this computer for it work perform well (> 120-140 FPS) with modpacks. This is without optifine as that causes various rendering artifacts. My drivers are correctly configured and I get similar performance results when booting into Windows (eew). Thanks in advance for reading!

Last edited:

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
There are many things you can try.
1. Remove journey map, use opis or zans
2. Turn Mipmap off in video settings
3. Turn down render distance
4. Install FastCraft
5. Play on a server

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
There are many things you can try.
1. Remove journey map, use opis or zans
2. Turn Mipmap off in video settings
3. Turn down render distance
4. Install FastCraft
5. Play on a server
1) Doing now
2) Doing now
3) I want to play on Far, I am willing to do hardware upgrades to enable me to do that but I am unsure what to upgrade.
4) Doing now
5) I own my own server, and I often run a test version of it on my computer. I need to be able to play on that server without lagging.

When I do everything except #3 and #5 (also some extra tweaking of Java (upgrading to 8, more ram allocated, etc.), and the video settings), I can get to 100 fps peak, but it averages 60-70 (single player).

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
1) Doing now
2) Doing now
3) I want to play on Far, I am willing to do hardware upgrades to enable me to do that but I am unsure what to upgrade.
4) Doing now
5) I own my own server, and I often run a test version of it on my computer. I need to be able to play on that server without lagging.

When I do everything except #3 and #5 (also some extra tweaking of Java (upgrading to 8, more ram allocated, etc.), and the video settings), I can get to 100 fps peak, but it averages 60-70 (single player).
Fastcraft will probably be what gets you all your FPS back.

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
1) Doing now
2) Doing now
4) Doing now

Most Monitors are 60 max.
Unless your using a 120

As for not wanting ot change veiw disatance, just try 8 or 9. you bearly see past that while playing anyway

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Fastcraft will probably be what gets you all your FPS back.
I Installed fastcraft, and I get 60-70.

Most Monitors are 60 max.
Unless your using a 120

As for not wanting ot change veiw disatance, just try 8 or 9. you bearly see past that while playing anyway
I am using a 60 fps monitor, but when the monitor refreshes the frame is partially rendered which causes screen tearing and jitteryness.

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Something quite obvious i hope you've done:
Did you set max FPS to unlimited?

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
Update your graphic card drivers. Then add the following JVM argument: "-Dforge.forceNoStencil=true". You could also try "-XX:+AggressiveOpts". Those JVM args might give either a positive or a negative effect.

I'm stalking you...
I am using the latest graphic card drivers already. I am using Java 8 which generally does not benifit from arguments, should I try them anyway. Also, what do you mean about stalking me?!