What is life without GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why some people are so focussed on GT. There's tons of other fun mods, why not try those for a change? Doing everything exactly the same every time you build a new base sounds kinda boring.

You'll have to adapt some day anyway. GT is more and more going in the direction of a total conversion mod that doesn't play well with others.

None of my GT playthroughs have been the "same" and usually focus on a range of mods and building a base more than in GT progress. I'm not sure where you get this idea that people that play GT are focused on only GT.
Let's see what happens. Running newest GT and still doesn't have any of these symptoms with hardmode configurations. But let's see what happens in the future.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Answer; A little bit less painful. For both GT haters and lovers (GT lovers like pain so it becomes less fun for them).

Reactions: draeath

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My main issue with the stagnation of IC2 (which, I gather is somewhat alleviated by GregTech) stems back to the MJ/EU energy concepts. Explained in quotes, because I'm too lazy to look it up again:
Bibble said:
The two major systems (EU and MJ) used to be fundamentally different systems (talking pre-assembly table, here). IC2 was always a make-and-store system, where you could run it without storage blocks, but the intention was always to make energy to top off your storage. Even the nuke system shows this, as there is no penalty to stop-start.

BC was always an instantaneous system. You used the energy as it was produced, or it decayed and disappeared. The blocks using it (farms, quarries, fillers, etc.) were controlled by switching the engine on and off, rather than the machines themselves. There was an internal storage to them, but it was negligible.

The main change was made by TE, and it's rising popularity. It added storage, meaning that you could cycle and engine and use it's power later, and it introduced the processing machines, which are situational by design (as has been commented). The closest that was introduced by other was the rock-crusher in RC, which is pretty much supposed to quest chug through a quarry output, and not sit idle.

Other mods, like Extra Bees, followed the TE line, giving the machines storage and using it in bursts.

The changes are taking it back to the origins, and I'm not sure how it'll be received both by the wider community, and by the modders. Personally, I quite like the change in philosophy to differentiate the purpose between BC and IC2.

The point is that EU has a place and is fun, but it of almost no use nowadays. I like that it can be stored and used on demand (and it makes MUCH more sense to have that powering tools/armour than MJ). I'll say that I've not played GT much myself, but I do gather that he pushes things towards EU. But, the ethos of the mod is something that I dislike, so I tend to avoid it.

I guess it's the same issue that you have with modded minecraft in that you have anywhere from 2 - 20 people with their own narrative view of how the game should progress and sometimes they agree, sometimes they clash, but it's up to the player to decide what to do. It makes it very different to a lot of games (which tend to prefer to present a more unified viewpoint), but can be troublesome, too.

Reactions: Cirom

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
More enjoyable, I guess? Nowadays, I don't really care much about IC2 for anything other than the induction furnace (and now that transvector interfaces are out I believe I could drop them as well), so not being forced to make a few things from IC2 here and there is a good thing.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
So, life without GT.

Let's see:

• Bees are fun again. (With a stocked alverary, you can boost the chance to produce a dust to 100%. Effectively by replacing dust with tiny dust GT quarters the production rate)
  • I miss the quantum tank.
  • I don't have to play through the mods in a specific order - there isn't any specific "this is the only real path to progression".
  • I can design my energy network much more compactly, as I don't need to deal with having a single piece of low-tier cable after every GT machine, and I don't need to separate machines.
  • Quantum armor actually has a purpose. With GT I find that quantum armor isn't worth it, as by the time you could make quantum you can skip right over it.
  • Renewable energy actually looks viable.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure where you get this idea that people that play GT are focused on only GT.

From the topic title: "What is life without GT?". Sounds a bit dramatic to me. I don't think there's a lot in GT that, aside from the stuff you need to build a fusion reactor, isn't also done in some way in one of the many mods in the Unleashed pack.

Same with people claiming that RP2 is irreplacable. Seems people are able to cope :)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I've renewed my interest in my 1.4.7 world, allowing myself the use of steam boilers. My only interest in 1.5.2 was the ability to use the MFR mining laser as an MJ sink. I have tried my best to avoid using power converters up to this point and have only used one to turn EU into charge, since factorization is extremely inconvenient to produce once you are established.

I am just settling for a steam turbine sink, where when I cap out on steam production I route the excess steam for a period of time to turbines, then into my matter fabricator. This is in the same manner in which I route my excess lava as well.

It is also true that GT has added some unnecessary complications, without really adding any content. It's just that the game would, in my case, become way too easy energy wise without it. Running GT infrastructure requires a significant energy source, a reliable one at that too.

Without CC, I'd rather not play. The block allows you to fit a timer in the space of a block. I'd rather not waste a bunch of space trying to fit in some redstone logic that I can program into one block.

A query about TC (Thamcraft, not Tinker's). The Crystal energy cells you can create (not sure about the name), when they absorb/store the local aura do they completely drain the local node until its totally full or does it take the excess aura? I am trying to plan out the space I have put aside for TC without really knowing anything about the mod. Though I will end up playing in the mud for a bit, I might as well clear up as many misconceptions as I can beforehand.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
MFR has the programmable rednet controller which also fits into 1 block and acts as a timer (or 16*6 different timers if you want). I don't know if it's in the pack you use though. Just FYI.

Toreishii

Jul 29, 2019
I was quite the fan of FTB until unleashed. I can understand the decision that was made to remove Gregtech because of the extenuating circumstances behind the scenes; however, it doesn't change the fact that this pack is designed horribly. One design choice I question is Dartcraft, that mod is terribly unbalanced and I do not understand why it would be enabled by default, but yet Xeno's reliquary isn't? Being a terribly broken system with so many easy ways of generating power, having to come up with innovative power designs suffer dramatically. Frankly, I could do without Tinker's Construct(it isn't that great of a mod to me anyway) and natura(I careless about berries and doors) because compared to Gregtech they are infantile when it comes to useful features(please don't make the argument that I didn't use them to the full extent, I used them enough). Greg has put in a lot of thought into ensuring that the innovation stays alive, and will always be one of the best mods in my eyes. But I no longer play either pack that FTB as released, I stick with a pack I put together to mirror the ultimate pack I loved in 1.4.2.

Sorry if it's hard to understand English isn't my first language.

Reactions: Aeon and netchip

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Life without GT is fine. In the modpack I've been building over the last few hours I am including GT with custom configs. GT adds a lot of functionality, but also takes away from basic vanilla mechanics. IC2 isn't dying, it's just finished. A lot of mods are taking its root mechanics and putting it into their own mod. The only difference is my favorite power system is EU. Setting up MJ has always been my least favorite thing to do in FTB/Tekkit. I can live without, but prefer it be in.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I was quite the fan of FTB until unleashed. I can understand the decision that was made to remove Gregtech because of the extenuating circumstances behind the scenes; however, it doesn't change the fact that this pack is designed horribly. One design choice I question is Dartcraft, that mod is terribly unbalanced and I do not understand why it would be enabled by default, but yet Xeno's reliquary isn't? Being a terribly broken system with so many easy ways of generating power, having to come up with innovative power designs suffer dramatically. Frankly, I could do without Tinker's Construct(it isn't that great of a mod to me anyway) and natura(I careless about berries and doors) because compared to Gregtech they are infantile when it comes to useful features(please don't make the argument that I didn't use them to the full extent, I used them enough). Greg has put in a lot of thought into ensuring that the innovation stays alive, and will always be one of the best mods in my eyes. But I no longer play either pack that FTB as released, I stick with a pack I put together to mirror the ultimate pack I loved in 1.4.2.

Sorry if it's hard to understand English isn't my first language.

Tinkers Construct isn't that great of a mod? What? It adds not only unbreakable tools that can last from beginning game to end game, but also adds a whole new ore processing system. Natura doesn't just add berries and doors, it also adds cotton, a completely better version of flax. You do realize you can add GT to your version of Unleashed, right?

Also, your English is fine.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers Construct isn't that great of a mod? What? It adds not only unbreakable tools that can last from beginning game to end game, but also adds a whole new ore processing system. Natura doesn't just add berries and doors, it also adds cotton, a completely better version of flax. You do realize you can add GT to your version of Unleashed, right?

Don't forget the changes that natura makes to the nether, that's 90% of the reason I use the mod.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
Life without GT is life without grinding. I'm happy and I'm building, exploring mods, making big and small builds I've been using 1.5.2 since June and I've spent more than 500 hours during that timeframe; in the end I'm still enjoying and building and trying different things.

In the end, life without GT is life without grinding.

Toreishii

Jul 29, 2019

Indeed. I have added it. As far as mods that extend the world with plants and farming I am not as interested. My opinion on Tinkers Construct is based on my taste as a more of a technological player. So the extra processing(centrifuge, electroliser) that gregtech adds makes the game present more of an industrialised feeling.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I have added it. As far as mods that extend the world with plants and farming I am not as interested. My opinion on Tinkers Construct is based on my taste as a more of a technological player. So the extra processing(centrifuge, electroliser) that gregtech adds makes the game present more of an industrialised feeling.

I don't care too much for farming either, but without cotton I would be in quite the mess on most of my worlds.

Also, industrial centrifuges and electrolyzers are not early game, like the smeltery.

Reactions: Toreishii
Status
Not open for further replies.