What i think is going to happen with RedPower

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadrian

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone is talking about all these alternatives to RP2 but not giving any actual examples. As far as I am aware, there is not any other mod that does redstone like RP2 or anything similar to it. Honestly if I had a mod that did a redstone system like RP2 then I would not really care for RP2 all that much because the machines and pipes are not that great compared to what you can do with a combination of IC2, AE, BC, TE, ect..

Although I do like the microblocks system of RP2 A LOT better then Immbis Microblocks, if Immbis updated their microblock system to be as complete as RP2 and be compatible with the blocks added by other mods such as Forestry, Railcraft, IC2, BC, ExtraBiomes/Biomes-o-Plenty and so fourth, then Immbis would be amazing, but unfortantly it is a very limited alternative to RP2.

So yeah, there are mods that do the same functions as RP2, but RP2 is more powerful in those functions I would say.

(I really would like something thats 1.5 and does redstone like RP2)

Immis has recently created a mod that adds red alloy wire and all the redstoen logic gates that Redpower had. Its not perfect, but at least he's still updating it and it's still considered WIP. I have tried it and the red alloy wire works great (minus the fact that the hit box is too large, but he may have fixed that)

Here's the link :)
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...placement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

Reactions: Pokefenn and tindin

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
Immis has recently created a mod that adds red alloy wire and all the redstoen logic gates that Redpower had. Its not perfect, but at least he's still updating it and it's still considered WIP. I have tried it and the red alloy wire works great (minus the fact that the hit box is too large, but he may have fixed that)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...placement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

sweet ty for the linky i'll check it out later

Naddox

Jul 29, 2019

Aw heck yes! Thanks a bunch! now he just needs to work on his micro blocks a bit mroe to add all the other blocks RP2 has and other mod support.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Immibis microblocks has a config option that, when enabled, triggers the mod to autodetect any hacksawable block. This includes mod items. So you can have railcraft concrete covers or block of silver columns. It is more versatile than Rp2 microblocks. It also wraps around more cables, including IC2, buildcraft, Applied energistics. It doesn't currently work for MFR rednet or Liquiducts and RE conduits because it has problems wrapping around blocks with multiple hitboxes. Recent changes to liquiducts and conduits may have changed that though.

I haven't found MFR rednet to be buggy, rather it has been really useful and its nicer than bundled cable. It requires a different approach to wiring than red alloy wire because all of your circuits are located in one block. I think I heard powercrystals saying that he was thinking about adding a small single purpose gate but the idea is to have all logic controlled in one block. You can upgrade the PLC to be able to use more circuits at once and store more variables. If you do want to have more distributed logic, Computercraft computers can be programmed into logic gates quite easily. If you make a multiple purpose logic program it can be huge but if you want to have a simple gate or timer it really doesn't take much programming. I like red alloy wire and if RP2 does come out for 1.6 I will probably get it and use some RP redstone circuitry but MFR and Computercraft combined have solved all my redstone needs.

I do miss frame doors but I don't miss frame mining machines. MFR has a really interesting auto mining machine that is like a mass fabricator (in my opinion it is more interesting conceptually). Steve's carts and turtles are also movable mining machines. I never made much more than big doors and mining rigs with frames but for people who had more complex designs Calclavia is doing some awesome things with his version of MFFS. His "frame" machine looks capable of moving railcraft tanks without them losing their inventory.

I think that if Redpower2 does get updated it will still be able to be relevant in common modpacks with other mods like AE and MFR knocking about. Its tubes and red alloy wire may still be attractive to players who want small discrete circuits or logistics networks without having to get a PLC or an AE network setup.

The three mods I have been using more of since I have had no redpower are buildcraft, MFR and computer craft and I have really enjoyed getting used to them. Most of the things I used Redpower for I have found replacements for (including a nifty little mod called translocators by Chickenbones) however I never played with everything from Redpower so I would love to see an updated version.

Reactions: Anubis
Status
Not open for further replies.