What first? Ars Magica or Thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Depends on what you want. If you want blocks and items, TC4 is the way to go. If you're looking for spells (both combat and utility), then AM2 is what you want.

Reactions: Esheon

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that it's a little quicker to get started in AM... You're likely to only need a single mining trip to get some blue topaz and vinteum ore, then you should be able to make your first spell. (I recommend touch/dig, it's cheap and you're not likely to miss with it).

With TC, you need some gold and a fair amount of shards just to get started, and it takes some research to get useful items. I do recommend starting ASAP with TC, though... having that thaumometer up and scanning early on will help with your research later.

Reactions: Padfoote

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Neither

Witchery masterrace

Edit:

first spell. (I recommend touch/dig, it's cheap and you're not likely to miss with it).

Actually, I found that a damaging projectile spell is a good first spell, as it's SUPER easy and fun to gain more AM2 xp. You can also make one that does like 16 damage super early on, so that's nice.

But yeah, like I said, Witchery is supreme.

Last edited:

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest I haven't even started TC yet, though I have got much more tech stuff going.
I would say Ars Magica as it will help you starting out.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in my opinion... as you're new to these mods, I'd go with TC4 as there's more information and guides on TC4 when compared to AM, so it'll be easier to get into

Reactions: Padfoote

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
in my opinion... as you're new to these mods, I'd go with TC4 as there's more information and guides on TC4 when compared to AM, so it'll be easier to get into
Direwolf20 had some very nice guides for both of the mods.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend AM2, not because it's a better mod (I don't think it is), but because the progression is more gradual. If you set up your first spell and start getting experience with it, you can plough on with TC4 while still progressing with AM2.

Reactions: YX33A and Mevansuto

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that we 50% think TC is better to start with, and the other 50% think AM2 is better to start with.
I myself have chosen AM2, but only because it's less known to the mod community and should surprise and amaze you without any forum spoilers (ie. TC cheat sheet).
But really, I think you should decide, I have seen many kinds of posts similar to this one, with the same questions. "This or That?", "Creeper or Skeleton?" or "BoP or Highlands?"
And all of them result in the same thing, the OP's decision and preferred choice.
In other words if that is hard to understand, we do not control you, own you, or decide for you, we just advise you, make your decisions yourself no matter what we say.

^^Like if it as touching ;)

aloy99

Jul 29, 2019
Neither

Witchery masterrace

Edit:

Actually, I found that a damaging projectile spell is a good first spell, as it's SUPER easy and fun to gain more AM2 xp. You can also make one that does like 16 damage super early on, so that's nice.

What dark magical spell is it that you speak of :O I am level 41 and my most powerful spell does 10 on normal :p

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Full crafting altar, projectile, lightening dmg, x2 dmg, Magic dmg, x2 dmg, fire dmg, x1 dmg, physycal dmg, x2 dmg, pierce, is the strongest spell i can think of right now, !?

thekolo

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica is pretty much always the first thing I do when I am getting situated in a new world. This is because of the projectile dig spell. The projectile dig spell can mine anything up to iron, wood, dirt, it works just as well under water, and it works while flying. You have no idea how much you want something like this until you have it. It is also nice for having a decent early ranged weapon, and a chest that you can open anywhere that has all your tools in it.

The other reason you wanna start with ars is that to really get niffty spells you gotta use spells to level up your casing ability. So if you make some cool utility spells like dig and just run around using it while you do 2000 other things including doing stuff with Thuamcraft by the time you'll be ready to seriously start with Ars Magica you'll have the spell casting levels to back it up.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Neither

Witchery masterrace

Edit:

Witchey, bah! Blood Magic is where it's at.

I would recommend AM2, not because it's a better mod (I don't think it is), but because the progression is more gradual. If you set up your first spell and start getting experience with it, you can plough on with TC4 while still progressing with AM2.

^^This.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
<.< >.>
Blood magic.

But seriously of the two mentioned I personally prefer thaumcraft especially version 4.1. Research is a bit simpler, the entry is a bit smoother (you only need any 2 shards instead of one each). Plus golems are a barrel of fun to watch run around and get stuck on things.

I never felt very moved by AM2, the mobs are uncontrollable and alter gameplay in at least 2 other mods in ways that I don't like. Plus they were getting a bit silly what with the constant bonemealing and pathing in massive numbers. That and the somewhat unreliable energy system that either doesn't want to transfer power to the machines I want or automatically starts drawing power the moment I set it down with no apparent way to shut the fool thing off.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend Ars Magika aswell, just because it has no big research mechanic, you are able to make awesome things right even. In Thaumcraft, unless you exactly know what you're doing, it will take quite a while till you have your nice things.
While in AM2 you can just start off with a simple fire spell and burn sheep :D