What first? Ars Magica or Thaumcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4.1 definitely. Better documentation, easier to get into, and very self-explanatory with minimum "just a thing you have to know about it." Ars Magica 2 while cool, is more about the pvp which I find less useful in the early game as an iron sword can just pretty much do anything you want in terms of pve. Also, if you get too into Ars Magica, you'll find yourself getting too much of an attribute which might bite back at you later on.

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of both usually, but leaning towards AM2 myself. In a SSP world I stick with Offense first, then utility once I have my basic attack spell so I can get all the great bits. The ability to turn off rain with a button press is great, as is turning it on when I want it.

But as others have stated, OP, it is your choice which you do first. Due to how easy it is to get into AM2 I suggest doing a bit of it. You need three vintium ore(assuming basic smelting is used) for dust, and a piece of blue topaz, two coal, some stone, and a piece of glass(or 6 if you want to use glass caps on your crafting altar). A Leather source is needed, as is sugar canes, but that's for books and it's small stuff.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I'd say do both together

They have different focuses, and while Ars magica is limited by experience, thaumcraft is limited by exploration in terms of progression
So you can do a bit of both at the same time

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This thread makes me want to actually look at magic mods for once. I always always always** ignore them.

Digging spells? Firespells? Seriously? Sweet!

Gonna watch AM2 vids as soon as I get home.

**except that one time I tried to check out TC3 but lost interest

Reactions: Esheon

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
This thread makes me want to actually look at magic mods for once. I always always always** ignore them.

Digging spells? Firespells? Seriously? Sweet!

Gonna watch AM2 vids as soon as I get home.

**except that one time I tried to check out TC3 but lost interest
Muahahaaaa, another convert :D

Once you get some progress in the TC4 research, you can get a lot of nifty gadgets... it's worth it.

Additionally...

Witchery: access to an alternate dream/nightmare dimension, throwable specialty potions (encase your opponent in webs, blind them), a broom on which you can fly, rituals (change day to night, make other players hallucinate monsters, summon demons), lots of prank-worthy things... I stuck a few treefyds under someone's base a few days ago, they went mad looking for the source of the noise.

Blood Magic: tools that clear out MASSIVE areas, a ritual to repel mobs from an area, a nifty little energy beam gun, infinite lava, a "quarry" that doesn't disturb the ground, flight for all players within a ritual's range, call down a meteor full of resources, summon demons and elementals

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure