What do you use to record/edit/upload?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hey folks,

I've been futzing around for a while now, and would like to try my hand at recording/editing/uploading some of my "adventures" to share with the folks on my server. I'm not looking to be the next big thing on Youtube, but would like to post some stuff.

I've got fraps and Open Broadcast for recording (tired twitch streaming.. my internet is crap for that) and I've been playing around with Vegas for editing.

What do you use? What do you recommend?

TheOramgebananna

Jul 29, 2019
... i'll feel kinda bad saying this ,but i record with a handheld video camera, edit using microsoft mmovie maker, and upload it from my SD card.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
... i'll feel kinda bad saying this ,but i record with a handheld video camera, edit using microsoft mmovie maker, and upload it from my SD card.

My niece does that and I actually like it. You'll see her hands when she gets angry (multiplayer) and makes rude gestures or the camera drops and you hear her try to recover. It's actually kind of funny. Not very professional but I enjoy them. *She doesn't know I know she's posting them. She'd be too embarrassed.

As for my videos, I got the best quality (so far) w/ OBS recorded locally and then re-uploaded to YouTube. For my last couple of videos, just because I'm too lazy to actually setup a recording session, I've been using Windows 10's Xbox DVR thing. Not the greatest quality but meh, it gets the job done. It's not like I've got or am going for thousands of subscribers or need any sort of 'scene' support. I just want to show some friends what I've built.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
And don't forget modest :p

Gonna keep track of this thread, looking for a good editing program myself. I'm not as pro as malicious_bloke.
Sony Vegas is good for editing. I don't know how expensive it is (got a copy from my dad), but it looks like it has all the capabilities you might need.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I use OBS for recording/streaming, mainly because of the ability to use encoding other then x264(CPU encoding on an i3 is just...blegh. VCE or QuickSync is so much better.) Editing...Windows Movie Maker I guess. I mainly just stream though.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
For some reason OBS only shows a black screen when I try to record with it...

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I use FFMPEG for recording. It's pretty low level and allows me to tweak settings as needed.
For audio editing I use Audacity. This is pretty standard and very powerful for OpenSource software.
For video editing I currently use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. I used to use Lightworks and Blender for editing, both are free, and Blender is OpenSource. Blender is a bit hard to use. Lightworks less so but is limited to 780p at 24fps. Sony Movie Studio Platinum is paid but a solid tool.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
BandiCam is a great solution for recording. Even has a built in timer, auto saves audio in separate files so you can edit game and voice independently, and has a ton of codecs. I use Premiere myself but have use Windows Movie Maker and a host of lower cost editors that all work fine

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Question on Bandicam - I'm going to be trying it out, and using a 'Like goal' to determine if I should get the unlimited version. (No sense buying if no one is watching, right?) In the meantime, how does it handle the end of the ten minutes? Does it just stop recording, or does it split the file into 10-minute chunks? I can cope with either (and the watermark), but knowing ahead of time will make a difference in how I approach the actual recording sessions.