What do you use AE2/RS for?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Simple question, right? But it really makes you think about how you go about doing things. And it's relevant, because I'm trying to put the finishing touches on the alphadev version of my modpack, and came up with an interesting idea...

What exactly does AE2/RS do for a pack, and can it be done in a more efficient manner?

RS has some fairly notorious lag-causing issues, especially when you start talking about storage busses and storage drawer controllers trying to work together. However, it's fairly simple and streamlined.

AE2, on the other hand, uses channels, which uses up system resources, and iterating subordinate trees can take up HUGE amounts of system resources, especially if you try to do a 'super soaryn drive' or something like that.

So I've been looking around for alternatives, but before I can figure out what mods work as alternatives, I need to know what their actual use is.

If it is just storage management, then RFTools really has you covered. It's got a way of organizing your storage, being able to retrieve from and deposit to a central block to manage your entire storage.

But if it is auto-crafting, then I need to figure out how to get that going without depending on the two aforementioned mods. Something like LP, only without a dependency on Buildcraft. So if anyone has any suggestion, options, or ideas on this topic, feel free to contribute!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I honestly have yet to use RS, if only because I was so heavily invested into AE1 back in Ultimate, because I got to Minecraft just as AE was first coming into existence, and so it's how I learned to do item storage. So it feels like I don't need to use RS because I already have.

On the other side, AE's channels can be disabled. And while the Super Soaryn Drive is a thing, at the same time, it's not really a necessary thing unless you lack something like Industrial Foregoing's version of the Deep Storage unit. (Or the Quantum Storage from Quantum Storage.) Subnets, and the ability to build them without the necessity of a completely new controller block is fantastic.

If you prefer McJty's mods, I'll point out that if it's programmed correctly, RFTools Control can do auto-crafting, though it's not place block, set pattern, walk away. On the other hand, it can be set up to build sequentially, so it can turn wood into planks into a chest into an ender chest for example.

What version are you in? 1.12 now has a Buildcraft version in Alpha, so LP may not be long in coming. But they were also trying to break themselves away from it to some extent.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Centralized large scale storage (with ability to connect to dsu/barrel-type containers), easier manual crafting, automated crafting and processing (especially at large scale), ability to keep a crafted/processed item automatically stocked.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
To start with, storage. One stop shop to find anything, which also makes it easier to craft. After that, progress into auto-crafting.

I've never felt a need to store billions of resources. If my setup can easily generate 1000's of a resource at "a push of a button" why do I need to actually store millions/billions of it? My biggest ever storage was in Crashed Landing, with Storage Drawer Wall fully upgraded to emerald tier (and that was mainly to store the resources I don't need as my system was generating the vital iron that was needed everywhere). By the time that started overflowing, I pumped the excess into Energy Condensors for whatever resources I was short on.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I basically agree with Golrith. First and foremost is storage. I usually end up partitioning disks as well to hold specific large quantity items. Then I start to automate ore processing and item creation. BTW: I prefer AE2 for all of this. While I have used RS and I'll use whatever is in the pack. I do personally prefer AE2. Its a little more of a challenge to setup. I also like the fact that when you start an autocraft it removes the raw materials from the main storage and moves them to the crafting CPU. That ensures that you have the raw materials available and that you can't accidentally bork the process by removing something or starting another autocraft.

Last edited:

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
For me it's one stop shopping. With most packs, by the time I can RS or AE2 I need it due to having what feels like half a million Storage "Solutions" scattered all over my working area. Either solution gives me the ability to tear down all but my storage drawer wall and dump all the bits into one, fully accessible, and crafting able place.

As for preference, depends on what the pack is.
I like AE2 for it's complexity, it can add flavor to a directionless kitchen sink pack. I usually aim to make all the things in the pack with Autocrafting so I end up with this gigantic AE2 network using all kinds of crazy methods to make all the various bits and pieces.

If the pack has a lot of "new" mods that I'm trying to learn I prefer RS as it allows me to focus on the new mod and be assured the RS Storage and autocrafting, while having drawbacks, will be there for me so I can concentrate on how to make the "item/machine/mod thingy" work the way it's supposed to.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I’m kind of the opposite of Henry and Golrith; for me it’s all about the autocrafting. There are many different storage solutions, and while the drives are nice, there are other alternatives. But being able to set up patterns to craft things and have it intelligently cascade and order crafting operations is just so lovely. And even more than that, I’ve fallen in love with the processing autocrafting. In the same way I loved Logistics Pipes before it, being able to work with a wide range of machines and processing/creation mechanics from other mods, ranging from the technological to the magical (albeit sometimes requiring a bit of lateral thinking ;)) is so much fun. When you set off a complex craft, and you see machines kick into gear, hear things buzzing or whirring or tinkling all around you... there’s nothing quite like it.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Autocrafting, too. Tried both mods - RS is now preferable for me for its simplicity. For storage, I keep 2 blast resistant boxes with External Storage attached with high priority, the rest items go into either a storage block or drive. I also try to keep some fuel in these boxes in case the RS network shuts off, so I can throw some into a generator to turn it back online.
AE2 has a slower progression (and channel tinkering), but ultimately I end up using it for same things.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I’m kind of the opposite of Henry and Golrith; for me it’s all about the autocrafting. There are many different storage solutions, and while the drives are nice, there are other alternatives. But being able to set up patterns to craft things and have it intelligently cascade and order crafting operations is just so lovely. And even more than that, I’ve fallen in love with the processing autocrafting. In the same way I loved Logistics Pipes before it, being able to work with a wide range of machines and processing/creation mechanics from other mods, ranging from the technological to the magical (albeit sometimes requiring a bit of lateral thinking ;)) is so much fun. When you set off a complex craft, and you see machines kick into gear, hear things buzzing or whirring or tinkling all around you... there’s nothing quite like it.
I'm inclined to lean towards this way myself. I'm fond of the logistical solutions.

Now, I'm almost even *more* fond of how LP does it, but I find my LP-riddled bases get mega laggy, and sometimes a tiny bit buggy with things like cells piling up where they shouldn't.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If I could have one thing for Christmas, it would be LP for Thermal Dynamics, with NO BC DEPENDENCIES. And it seems like a lot of people might agree with me.

Logistic Pipes, for those who are unaware, can do auto-crafting, crafting subcombines, and easily hooks up to your drawer system. And if you use it with Thermal Dynamics, you have a natural base progression of using TD to sort things primitively, then move to LP for more comprehensive storage management and single-location inventory solutions.

Or just have Thermal Dynamics have an inventory screen like EnderIO had. That would solve everything but the auto-crafting.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If I could have one thing for Christmas, it would be LP for Thermal Dynamics, with NO BC DEPENDENCIES. And it seems like a lot of people might agree with me.

Logistic Pipes, for those who are unaware, can do auto-crafting, crafting subcombines, and easily hooks up to your drawer system. And if you use it with Thermal Dynamics, you have a natural base progression of using TD to sort things primitively, then move to LP for more comprehensive storage management and single-location inventory solutions.

Or just have Thermal Dynamics have an inventory screen like EnderIO had. That would solve everything but the auto-crafting.
Yeah I'd be fine with this, although that's not to say I strongly dislike oldschool-style BC pipes.

TD is great. I use it in a pack I'm building, and I don't even include TE and such. I'm just really fond of TD (retrievers ftw)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Now I kind of want LP back with BC dependencies. But that's my inner troll poking out, and he's not nice.

I realize the determining factor for me. Do I have an alternate method of handling fluids I'm happy with? That's the determination for me as to whether I'm interested in using AE or RS. RS has native fluid handling built into it, both in storage and in transportation. I can pump water from whatever source I like, be it EIO Reservoirs, Thermal Expansion AA's, or even just an IE pump, store some, and then eject it anywhere along the cabling I'm already running.

AE is for when I already have options I want to use.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm planning on a kind of... out of the box sort of pack. Very small and tight-knit, compared to the kitchen sink packs that come out these days, and without some of the mods that 'everyone' seems to be using.

For example, I use the CoFH Suite and Immersive Engineering/Petroleum as my 'core' tech mods. Then add in Industrial Foregoing for tree/crop farming. Pams and Cooking For Blockheads for food, I haven't found a reliable update to Hunger Overhaul or some other hunger mod that works in a logical manner (i.e. NOT Spice Of Life). Storage Drawers are included. I wish Enhanced Inventories wasn't abandoned, it's pretty much exactly what I'd want to pair with Storage Drawers. Currently I'm using Simple Storage Network for my 'tie it all together' mod. Using Embers and Astral Sorceries for my magic mods. C&B and Chisel for decoration. Ahkashic Tome for book management. TOP of course, inventory tweaks, and Dynamic Surroundings. RFTools and RFTools Control, but NOT Dimensions.

And really, that's about it. No Botania. No Actually Additions. No BC/Forestry/IC2/Railcraft. Roots2 isn't much better than the original Roots, so giving it a pass. I just need to figure out auto-crafting on demand.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Which mc version? RFTools Control and XNet is interesting for some logistical solutions.

They don't replace AE2 or LP or anything but they're interesting.

(edited cuz you mentioned Control already)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Sounds like you're sorted then, since RFTools Control can do autocrafting on demand.

I might suggest having a look at Immersive Tech, since it adds some neat IE control stuff. I'm pretty excited to look into it myself, but you might enjoy it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing without AE or RS in my pack recently. My inventory management system is RFTools, and it does storage exceptionally well. What I'm missing currently is level based crafting (ie, below 10 in stock, craft more). I know RFTools Control can do it, but that is less than user friendly to get started without doing some video tutorial homework. I have considered adding RS to the pack solely to fill that void, but I'm trying to find inventive solutions with the mods already present before I try that. Thermal Dynamics filters are currently my saving grace for stocking a single stack of craftables in my desired location, leaving the system to back up to a stop behind it. Being able to turn processing chains on and off via redstone when desired stock is available is something I'm working on now, which both AE and RS can do in a much simpler way.

Usually, one of my biggest priorities is to get my storage all available from one location, preferably with an attached crafting grid. As time moves on, autocrafting becomes more important. I've tried to remove the urge to tie my whole base together with a sprawling web of AE/RS controlled madness, as my computer simply can't handle the load that kind of setup necessitates, opting instead for individual cells of intermod processing, storage, and crafting in small batches or preferably on-demand. It's become an engineering challenge, where those mods make it so simple - there's a chance this could be a major turnoff for some players.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Heh, I'm playing a world currently without AE2 and RS and I have only 4 blocks for storage - guess I'm not a hardcore player anymore.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd like to see something like what EnderIO made to access multiple inventories, but without all the requirements for mob juice, ender pearls, etc, etc. Basically, a more low tech solution that plugs into a RF source. The effort required to setup the EIO system, you might as well do the AE/RS method.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'd like to see something like what EnderIO made to access multiple inventories, but without all the requirements for mob juice, ender pearls, etc, etc. Basically, a more low tech solution that plugs into a RF source. The effort required to setup the EIO system, you might as well do the AE/RS method.
Have you ever looked at Extra Utilities 2's Indexer? That basically does a very similar thing!