What do you look for in a modded minecraft Let's play on youtube?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

BaconsTV

Hey
So, I am currently a tad confused as my PO3 uploads are not really being viewed, however my X4 foundations which is a space sim trade/fight/think/build does not have any problems hitting 600 to 1k views in a day.

So what gets your attention IF you search for a modded minecraft lets play?
What keeps you watching and wanting more?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
In part, I think you're facing the curse of the YouTube algorithms. Your X4 videos pop higher on the search results than PO3, probably because more people, many of whom are already well established Minecraft YouTubers, are posting PO3 videos.

I probably subscribe to 6 people running PO3 or similar packs right now and I haven't been watching any of them lately. I look for people playing the same mods I do, but preferably who know them better than I do, or who are exploring mods and packs I haven't seen before.

When Thaumcraft 6 dropped videos were few and far between because everybody and their dogs were busy playing SevTech Ages. I subscribed to 2 people because they were posting TC6 videos when no one else was. How many people have noticed that RailCraft is back in the game? Might be an opportunity there. Definitely do mod spotlights and tutorials if you can.

Reactions: BaconsTV

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
What I'd find interesting is someone who plays lesser known packs as a way of maybe showcasing them. Same for mods, spotlights for mods that don't have many are always a good thing in my opinion.

I also have to agree with Cptqrk, if you start your video begging for subscriptions or likes or whatever chances are I'll skip it almost instantly. So please don't do that.

Finally, perhaps link your channel? I'm interested to see what you are producing atm.

B

BaconsTV

What I'd find interesting is someone who plays lesser known packs as a way of maybe showcasing them. Same for mods, spotlights for mods that don't have many are always a good thing in my opinion.

I also have to agree with Cptqrk, if you start your video begging for subscriptions or likes or whatever chances are I'll skip it almost instantly. So please don't do that.

Finally, perhaps link your channel? I'm interested to see what you are producing atm.
I dont think the MODs would appreciate but its BaconsTV and the same icon as I use here

In part, I think you're facing the curse of the YouTube algorithms. Your X4 videos pop higher on the search results than PO3, probably because more people, many of whom are already well established Minecraft YouTubers, are posting PO3 videos.

I probably subscribe to 6 people running PO3 or similar packs right now and I haven't been watching any of them lately. I look for people playing the same mods I do, but preferably who know them better than I do, or who are exploring mods and packs I haven't seen before.

When Thaumcraft 6 dropped videos were few and far between because everybody and their dogs were busy playing SevTech Ages. I subscribed to 2 people because they were posting TC6 videos when no one else was. How many people have noticed that RailCraft is back in the game? Might be an opportunity there. Definitely do mod spotlights and tutorials if you can.
Yes it is hard to get noticed for PO3 as you said. I agree, but enjoy the pack so ill keep it going for sure :) I should sniff at other mods and do some highlights that is a nice idea.
Tutorial like play...
Youtuber's that ramble on about nothing = click away
If you start your vid with any variation of "yo! wassup?! It's ya boy playin... hit that subscribe button!" i'm gone.
I may have the ramble, in terms of trying to explain my thoughts on what/ why im doing what. I do the hit thing at the end of the upload hahaha, but always have some kinda intro to say what we may be up to.

Thanks all these are all epic points

B

BaconsTV

:< after getting back to you all, the post is under moderation.. Guess I should have not included the link so I pm'ed you LordPINE
Hopefully it will get moderated soon, so I wanted to say thanks :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I look for someone doing things differently from someone else. If you're just doing Dire's same builds but slightly different or less direwiry, then I move on. The pack you're playing also has to interest me. I like NZHooks stuff, but he's doing a creative mode rail series and while I like rails, the creative mode bit turns me off.

As for X4... it's a new game, people are going to be interested in watching it. Most of the people from whom I see videos are actually just posting cuttings from their streams. And I'd rather just watch the full stream as a VoD than slices of it, if I can't catch it live.

Also there's an entire board on the forum for showing off your YT channel, so you can put a topic and your channel link there.

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
The only time I watch any sort of Let's Play or other Minecraft video is when I need to learn how to do something. The 2 most important things to me are:
1) Get to the god damn point. If your video says Mekanism x5 ore processing set up, SHOW ME THAT!!! I don't care about the way your base looks, I don't care that you have a runny nose, I don't want to see your new AE2 automation system, I want to see the 5x ore processing set up.
2) Someone who doesn't have an annoying voice. This may seem petty, but for real yo. If your voice causes me rage, I will close the video no matter how good the rest of the content is.

B

BaconsTV

I look for someone doing things differently from someone else. If you're just doing Dire's same builds but slightly different or less direwiry, then I move on. The pack you're playing also has to interest me. I like NZHooks stuff, but he's doing a creative mode rail series and while I like rails, the creative mode bit turns me off.

As for X4... it's a new game, people are going to be interested in watching it. Most of the people from whom I see videos are actually just posting cuttings from their streams. And I'd rather just watch the full stream as a VoD than slices of it, if I can't catch it live.

Also there's an entire board on the forum for showing off your YT channel, so you can put a topic and your channel link there.
Hey yeah I also feel the same when watching others, the need to be different. Tho it is hard as following the quest book to make the stuff to progress will be somewhat similar tho :/. I have posted on the YT forum, yet that post has been under moderation for 5 days now -.-

The only time I watch any sort of Let's Play or other Minecraft video is when I need to learn how to do something. The 2 most important things to me are:
1) Get to the god damn point. If your video says Mekanism x5 ore processing set up, SHOW ME THAT!!! I don't care about the way your base looks, I don't care that you have a runny nose, I don't want to see your new AE2 automation system, I want to see the 5x ore processing set up.
2) Someone who doesn't have an annoying voice. This may seem petty, but for real yo. If your voice causes me rage, I will close the video no matter how good the rest of the content is.
Totally agree with both points, when I game I record a let's play its about me gaming, messing up/making progress and mostly sharing what im doing to hopfully get feed back and perhaps more unique ideas to tackle something. If im doing a tutorial I'd say "tutorial on xyz" then yes for sure get to the damn point already loool :D

All these comments are helpful so thanks for taking the time in getting back to me :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I mean... if there's really only one good way to do it, and your wiring is more efficient, hey, that's great. But if you're going to show me the best way to do it and it's a copy of Dire? Then there's no point.

Be you, and don't worry about the views. They'll turn up. YT randomly picks a channel with a type of content then massively promotes that kind of content from that channel for a bit. If it happens and the content keeps going it'll keep recommending that channel. If not it'll move on to another channel. But the way it works is seemingly very weighted to established channels for no good reason. Personally I'd say just stick with it.

Moderation might be slow, just give it time. Did you post to your channel? Or to the Minecraft series?

B

BaconsTV

Hey I dont know about YT randomly picking as I kinda tend to believe in the whole SEO stuff. However I guess by time yeah peeps will come pop by and chill :) yeah for sure ill stick with it, as I'm enjoying it :)
About the moderation part I made a thread for the series, posted p1 and 2 in two posts in the same thread in the YT forum.

H

Headless Gorilla

Mostly a tutorial on how to play it, with actual content so that it's watchable. People that are overly loud and overly excitable aren't fun to watch, but a nice calm video is good, and I personally like it when basic things aren't edited out like digging or whatever, but still talking about whatever you want.

B

BaconsTV

No, not the search engine function, but the recommended videos on the main page or on a video you've clicked on.
Ohh yes I understand now. Yeah I think you are right on that
Mostly a tutorial on how to play it, with actual content so that it's watchable. People that are overly loud and overly excitable aren't fun to watch, but a nice calm video is good, and I personally like it when basic things aren't edited out like digging or whatever, but still talking about whatever you want.
It is hard to then fit in a number of things in a 30 min upload like that by keeping in digging and even perhaps the making of some machines, so I do try to cut a few bits down and still end up with a 40min upload hahaha :'(

D

darkstormshade

Variety in what happens in the video. Vids dedicated to one part of one mod or one machine dont work for me.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
After watching a streamer yesterday briefly I thought I would mention - don't freakin scream in your videos. I don't care if someone ice bucket challenges you right in the middle of recording, no one wants to hear you yell. Additionally, all the swearing and acting like a wannabe thug gangsta isn't necessary. If you don't have natural charisma, stay away from streaming.

B

BaconsTV

After watching a streamer yesterday briefly I thought I would mention - don't freakin scream in your videos. I don't care if someone ice bucket challenges you right in the middle of recording, no one wants to hear you yell. Additionally, all the swearing and acting like a wannabe thug gangsta isn't necessary. If you don't have natural charisma, stay away from streaming.
I totally understand you on this one and I also hate it.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
For me personally I like seeing all the bits and pieces of building out a base and whatnot. I don't mind jump cuts while you collect mats for a project or while you craft the 2nd - 500th item for a build but show making each part at least once. Show placing and wiring all the machines in a system. I like to see the failures/gotchas that are only found while trying to put something together. I don't like "Gods of the game" type YTers that jump through all the trials and tribulations of building something so it looks like they knew what they were doing 1st time. Let us see you turn on that IC2 nuclear reactor, turnaround and start explaining the UU-Matter setup you are going to use and get blown to smithereens because you missed a step.

The voice thing is a valid point, if you sound like you've been main lining caffeine or quaaludes, please seek help not a YT channel.

B

BaconsTV

For me personally I like seeing all the bits and pieces of building out a base and whatnot. I don't mind jump cuts while you collect mats for a project or while you craft the 2nd - 500th item for a build but show making each part at least once. Show placing and wiring all the machines in a system. I like to see the failures/gotchas that are only found while trying to put something together. I don't like "Gods of the game" type YTers that jump through all the trials and tribulations of building something so it looks like they knew what they were doing 1st time. Let us see you turn on that IC2 nuclear reactor, turnaround and start explaining the UU-Matter setup you are going to use and get blown to smithereens because you missed a step.

The voice thing is a valid point, if you sound like you've been main lining caffeine or quaaludes, please seek help not a YT channel.
Lol@voice today its bad, been ill for two days and tried to record some footage I think I wasted a lot of time. I too like the builds in uploads like you mention, its trying to cut the time to 30 mins that is the issue, choosing which parts and so on