What do you guys think about Extra Trees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Link to Binnie's site

Link to mod spotlight by Haighyorkie

EDIT: Direwolf has a more practical run-in with the new features in todays episode of his SMP series, if anyone's interested: Linky

I think Direwolf mentioned it a few months back, but we haven't really heard much about it since then. Then today, while browsing reddit, I find that it's been released! But discussion here seems to be nonexistant, so I'm creating this thread :p

So what do you guys think? I haven't tried it myself yet, waiting for the worst of the early bugs and whatnot to be ironed out, but I did watch the mod spotlight and am really looking forward to testing it out myself. The patterns look amazing, as do the paneling, and of course the amount of new woodtypes is going to be a lot of fun.

I'm kind of surprised that Binnie did not seem to implement ways of making treebreeding easier, the way he did with beebreeding in extrabees, but that would probably have made things too easy :) Really looking forward to see what kind of traits the new trees bring with them! The mod spotlight briefly touched on a machine for collecting silkworms, but didn't quite explain what they would be used for, does anyone know?

I do have a single concern, however, and that is the new way of making mulch... It does seem to eliminate an entire chain of production, replacing it with something overly simple (a simple spruce farm), which I'm not entirely sure if I like yet. But time will tell.

Overall I'm really exited about this, and hoping that it will be added to FTB in the future. What do you guys think? Discuss!

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
As far the breeding systems go trees are very slow & a bit boring, my self I just add one of each sapling near api's & hope for the best, I cant really bring my self to make a hard & fast (<<lol) tree breeding system, at least with bees you can use frames to speed up the breeding process, not exactly exciting but not near as boring as waiting for tree leaf to mature.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
You mention mulch concerns. This was already trivial via an oak tree multi farm sending apples for processing.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
huh... Is forestry tree breeding really this unpopular? Am I the only one who enjoys it? I was expecting more buzz around this, guess this is why there was no thread here beforehand :p

As far the breeding systems go trees are very slow & a bit boring, my self I just add one of each sapling near api's & hope for the best, I cant really bring my self to make a hard & fast (<<lol) tree breeding system, at least with bees you can use frames to speed up the breeding process, not exactly exciting but not near as boring as waiting for tree leaf to mature.
You can do a bit more selective breeding with the new pollen sieves in Alvearies, but yeah, I know what you mean. The way I do it before that is set up a 4x4 grid of trees (of the 2 types I want to breed) spaced 5 apart and then have 4 apiaries with industrious bees in the middle of each 2x2 grid this creates. It's probably not very efficient, but it gives me a lot of control and an easy overview.

You mention mulch concerns. This was already trivial via an oak tree multi farm sending apples for processing.
Yeah, but there was still a need for having that apple farm. You're usually going to have a treefarm of some sort to supply lumber, right? Now you just need the one. Send the logs to the lumbermill, and you'll get the 6 planks and 1 sawdust that you'd normally get from the TE sawmill, in addition to getting 1 bark per piece of log. 4 bark is 1 mulch, and thus the apple orchard is no longer necessary, unless I'm missing something obvious.

...this is assuming that you don't get enough apples if you chop down the apple oak trees in a regular multifarm; if you do, then the apple orchard is just kind of useless anyway tbh :x

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Tree breeding is generally a bit pointless when used with other world gen mods, as many of those mods add their versions of the exact same trees you can get from tree breeding, just with different textures/appearances. The only real tree you want to breed in lastest forestry is one that gives a lot of apples and sappyness, or you could just build yourself 3 or 4 more tree farms and get the same yield without all the pains of tree breeding.

I personally just do tree breeding on the side, see what saplings I get, grow a few in case I need them at some point. Nothing really directed. I do wait until I get the Thaumic Grafter with Repair II enchant, saves on a massive amount of bronze (copper/tin).

I do like that the Extra Trees stuff adds more use for the Squeezer and Impregnated Sticks.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
...this is assuming that you don't get enough apples if you chop down the apple oak trees in a regular multifarm; if you do, then the apple orchard is just kind of useless anyway tbh :x

Yeah, an oak arboretum gives you enough apples for mulch even without cross-breeding in better traits, as well as providing the wood, apple juice, and saplings. I guess this gives people more options, which is nice. Everyone shouldn't have to use oaks for their farm.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Tree breeding is generally a bit pointless when used with other world gen mods, as many of those mods add their versions of the exact same trees you can get from tree breeding, just with different textures/appearances. The only real tree you want to breed in lastest forestry is one that gives a lot of apples and sappyness, or you could just build yourself 3 or 4 more tree farms and get the same yield without all the pains of tree breeding.

I personally just do tree breeding on the side, see what saplings I get, grow a few in case I need them at some point. Nothing really directed. I do wait until I get the Thaumic Grafter with Repair II enchant, saves on a massive amount of bronze (copper/tin).

I do like that the Extra Trees stuff adds more use for the Squeezer and Impregnated Sticks.
MPS has a tool upgrade for that...

I personally only went as far as sweet chestnuts - for seed oil. Might go ahead and make a supertree for that once I start my silk production.

Other than that... meh. The system feels like too arbitrary, draconic and too out of line with what's normal for minecraft.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
huh... Is forestry tree breeding really this unpopular? Am I the only one who enjoys it? I was expecting more buzz around this, guess this is why there was no thread here beforehand :p

You can do a bit more selective breeding with the new pollen sieves in Alvearies, but yeah, I know what you mean. The way I do it before that is set up a 4x4 grid of trees (of the 2 types I want to breed) spaced 5 apart and then have 4 apiaries with industrious bees in the middle of each 2x2 grid this creates. It's probably not very efficient, but it gives me a lot of control and an easy overview.

I like any type of breeding in general, so even tree breeding has been fun. Despite what some have mentioned, it's surprisingly fast for me. I just have a 1x7 row of apiaries filled with maximum pollination bees. When I'm purifying a tree sapling, I either just use 1 of each, or 2 of each, close together. After 5 minutes, I relog to deal with the leaf-block not refreshing glitch, and there are typically 1~6 blocks waiting to be harvested (the more leaves on a tree, the more mutated blocks).

So far, I've been making largest trees for everything, just to see how high they'd go in Mindcrack 1.4.7. I must say, Largest Ebony and Grandier Baobabs with triple sapling is hilariously tall (though not as tall as sequoia). I'll try making a small sequoia later to see whether it wounds up being cute or odd. Lol.

Largest Cherry trees are also awesome. They look like red Christmas trees!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
True, but my tree breeding days were before MPS making a tool, so TC3 Thaumic Bees (1.4.7) was the only other option.
Almost managed to get a Sequioa, just getting the 9 saplings was a pain. Left my Single Player map at 8 out of 9.

Now if tree breeding involved DNA manipulation (and luck) in a strange machine, and growing your new sapling and seeing what you get (it's alive!) that would be much more interesting. You could have trees that attract or repeal mobs due to their scents, squeezing logs for products (like combs), etc.
A trees appearance could be designed like the SpeedTree system, where a set of variables control all it's attributes, and then the tree seed (random number) gives the final shape. Unlimited variation of trees then.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Yes!
Total web revamp...
It's amazing!
So Extra Bees comes with Extra Trees...
Cool!
All I gotta do is update Extra Bees and poof! Now I have Extra Trees.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
True, but my tree breeding days were before MPS making a tool, so TC3 Thaumic Bees (1.4.7) was the only other option.
Almost managed to get a Sequioa, just getting the 9 saplings was a pain. Left my Single Player map at 8 out of 9.

Now if tree breeding involved DNA manipulation (and luck) in a strange machine, and growing your new sapling and seeing what you get (it's alive!) that would be much more interesting. You could have trees that attract or repeal mobs due to their scents, squeezing logs for products (like combs), etc.
A trees appearance could be designed like the SpeedTree system, where a set of variables control all it's attributes, and then the tree seed (random number) gives the final shape. Unlimited variation of trees then.

The breeding mechanism, in my opinion, is easy enough as it is, especially with trees. I don't see why you'd need DNA. Getting the standard sequoia was simply a matter of planting 14 trees in my case (7 for each). The density of the leaves will provide so many mutated leaf blocks to get the 9 saplings.

I do like your scent suggestion, however.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
i'm really looking forward to making my floors all different patterns

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
And you have more variety of harvesting techniques available as well as, for instance, Forestry trees drop no saplings when leaves are broken by a Block Breaker.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Tree breeding is vastly simpler, faster and more reliable than bee breeding. In the new forestry world, you don't even need seed oil to start.

So I am all for decorative blocks that are easily accessible.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Link to Binnie's site

Link to mod spotlight by Haighyorkie

EDIT: Direwolf has a more practical run-in with the new features in todays episode of his SMP series, if anyone's interested: Linky

I think Direwolf mentioned it a few months back, but we haven't really heard much about it since then. Then today, while browsing reddit, I find that it's been released! But discussion here seems to be nonexistant, so I'm creating this thread :p

So what do you guys think? I haven't tried it myself yet, waiting for the worst of the early bugs and whatnot to be ironed out, but I did watch the mod spotlight and am really looking forward to testing it out myself. The patterns look amazing, as do the paneling, and of course the amount of new woodtypes is going to be a lot of fun.

I'm kind of surprised that Binnie did not seem to implement ways of making treebreeding easier, the way he did with beebreeding in extrabees, but that would probably have made things too easy :) Really looking forward to see what kind of traits the new trees bring with them! The mod spotlight briefly touched on a machine for collecting silkworms, but didn't quite explain what they would be used for, does anyone know?

I do have a single concern, however, and that is the new way of making mulch... It does seem to eliminate an entire chain of production, replacing it with something overly simple (a simple spruce farm), which I'm not entirely sure if I like yet. But time will tell.

Overall I'm really exited about this, and hoping that it will be added to FTB in the future. What do you guys think? Discuss!

binnie actually does make tree breeding easier, but through extra bees.
you can make bees with highest pollination and largest area to help with tree breeding

39cluesEKAT

Jul 29, 2019
I also heard Binnie say in the DW video that he plans to add in genetic manipulation like the bees. But, this mod was just released yesterday, so give the man some time.