What can i use instead of thermal expansion in skyfactory 3 ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WolfeUK

Jul 29, 2019
Im trying to find alternatives to TE, like for instance what could i use to collect water, or an autonomous activator, or for placing liquids in buckets,

I use Thermal expansion for so much of my work in 2.5, im surprised its being taken out ?

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Ender IO is my go to mod these days. Not sure I'll even use TE when it is out as most my base is setup already with ender io, and ic 2. Granted, I don't do skyblock, but I do know Ender IO is in it.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
+1 EnderIO and Actually Additions. Fluid Placer and Fluid Collector for handling liquids, Mechanical User from Extra Utilities as a replacement for Activator.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

hypernova132

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find anything to transfer fluids faster than 200mb/t. This is a problem because I don't want all my turbines right next to reactors. But I think the CoFH mods are actually being worked on right now. I can't wait for them to be done. You can track the progress here. http://teamcofh.com/docs/

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I can't find anything to transfer fluids faster than 200mb/t. This is a problem because I don't want all my turbines right next to reactors. But I think the CoFH mods are actually being worked on right now. I can't wait for them to be done. You can track the progress here. http://teamcofh.com/docs/
I'd be quite surprised if the transfer nodes from Extra Utilities 2 can't go faster than that when they've got speed upgrades in! Have you tried that?

On topic, the fluid placer and collector from Actually Additions, as previously mentioned, are very nice. If you wanted to directly fill buckets with fluids a-la the fluid transposer, that is a little trickier. Assuming you've got it in a tank, using a Fluid Placer to put it in the world, then using the Mechanical User with an empty bucket to pick it up, and having the filled ones extracted in some way, would do it.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Well, for water - EnderIO reservoir into a Fluidtank. Quick and Easy.

Exactly!

Use a filtered item conduit to the fluid tank set to pull full buckets from the tank and empty buckets from the target and voila, buckets for days.
Good use of this is with a mechanical user pointed at your petal appoticary(spelling) for botania.

hypernova132

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be quite surprised if the transfer nodes from Extra Utilities 2 can't go faster than that when they've got speed upgrades in! Have you tried that?

On topic, the fluid placer and collector from Actually Additions, as previously mentioned, are very nice. If you wanted to directly fill buckets with fluids a-la the fluid transposer, that is a little trickier. Assuming you've got it in a tank, using a Fluid Placer to put it in the world, then using the Mechanical User with an empty bucket to pick it up, and having the filled ones extracted in some way, would do it.

Yes, I have tried speed upgrades on extrautils transfer nodes.
I can't wait for cofh mods to be released. That will solve all my problems. And yes, 1.10.2 versions are being worked on.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
XU Liquid Transfer Nodes can move a metric asston of water on short order if properly upgraded (and powered if you're using one to pump from an infinite water source.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Can anyone else confirm this - Extra Utils 2 fluid transfer nodes don't shift more than 200 mB/t regardless of speed upgrades? Because I'm fairly sure that's a bug if so.

EDIT: 200 mB/t is 4 buckets per second, for anyone trying to check on this.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can anyone else confirm this - Extra Utils 2 fluid transfer nodes don't shift more than 200 mB/t regardless of speed upgrades? Because I'm fairly sure that's a bug if so.

EDIT: 200 mB/t is 4 buckets per second, for anyone trying to check on this.
My knowledge is only for 1.7.10, but in that version, the speed upgrades determine how fast the "nodes" of the network are traversed. There was no way to say X upgrades = Y mb/t unless you also knew how many sections of pipe you were using.

That said, although speed upgrades are nice, stack upgrades are where its at. A single stack upgrade (according to this old wiki) would make a transaction carry 8000mb instead of 200mb. Ludicrously buff.

For small-medium networks, not much beats extra utilities for liquid transfer throughput.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
My knowledge is only for 1.7.10, but in that version, the speed upgrades determine how fast the "nodes" of the network are traversed. There was no way to say X nodes = Y mb/t unless you also knew how many sections of pipe you were using.

That said, although speed upgrades are nice, stack upgrades are where its at. A single stack upgrade (according to this old wiki) would make a transaction carry 8000mb instead of 200mb. Ludicrously buff.

For small-medium networks, not much beats extra utilities for liquid transfer throughput.
Ah I see! That's interesting though, to get an insight into how the mechanics worked.

I think you can only put a single stack upgrade in now - the upgrades are a little different in ExtraUtils2 - I know that the Mining Upgrade (again, a single one only) has replaced the previous World Interaction Upgrade (of which you could use many).

That's what I thought with regards to ExU/ExU2 as well; which is why I'm a bit taken aback at Hypernova's insistence that its not good enough and that only the cofh mods could possibly solve all their problems.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've seen many YTers/Streamers use the single Stack upgrade (transfer 64 items instead of 1 each operation) then add speed upgrades to tweak to the performance they want, be it limited by source availability, destination ability to handle load or power requirements.