What browser do you use?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorta curious how everyone else navigates the wonderful world of the internet.

Currently I am using Google Chrome, however, I came across a new browser today called Torch which is basically Chrome, even using Chrome apps, but does so much more :D

And seeing as I came across Torch, and Vivaldi only today, I wonder if anyone else uses any awesome browsers not everyone will have heard of :D

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
currently:firefox

laptop:chromium. I would like to use iceweasle but can't because of stupid laptop design in regards to the mouse pad.

as soon as I have time to install debian on my desktop it will be iceweasle there to.

Vogon

Jul 29, 2019
used Firefox for a number of years, then one day it started crashing when opening it, tried for days to find the cause and could not, started using Chrome and that was it...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
At home: Firefox

At work:
- IE when I need to save files I download to a specific location, because FF and chrome default to a location the network settings have disallowed.
- Chrome for anything Java-ish
- Firefox for general usage and anything youtube as chrome has bloody safety mode enabled by the system and denies me the choice to turn it off.
- Opera to get around IE being set as system default when opening certain hyperlinks
- Tor for evading our web filter

Yeah they basically try and force people to use IE, i'm not standing for that bilge

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
At home: Firefox

At work:
- IE when I need to save files I download to a specific location, because FF and chrome default to a location the network settings have disallowed.
- Chrome for anything Java-ish
- Firefox for general usage and anything youtube as chrome has bloody safety mode enabled by the system and denies me the choice to turn it off.
- Opera to get around IE being set as system default when opening certain hyperlinks
- Tor for evading our web filter

Yeah they basically try and force people to use IE, i'm not standing for that bilge

I am pretty sure you can change the default location in firefox

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Been using Chrome for a few years now. I have my complaints with it (like how I can't install unofficial extensions anymore for security reasons, and end up using/writing UserJS-like scripts for Tampermonkey), but overall it does what I want pretty well.

Before that I was an Opera fan for quite a while, especially of UserJS scripts (which I could also use to fix all the pages that didn't render properly). Used Firefox for a little while before that, but was never entirely satisfied with it, especially after seeing one too many security exploits for my taste. And of course IE was before that, which I used for quite a long time too. IE wasn't the safest browser at the time either, but at some point I'd switched to using one of those browser shells around it which I liked pretty well, which could do tabbed browsing and all that and made it a little safer to use by blocking certain things. But when I discovered how easy it was for someone to steal your clipboard contents (which is off by default now btw), that was the last straw for IE and me. IE has certainly come a long way since then though, to where I couldn't fault anyone for using it now.

If you want to go back even further, I remember Netscape and Mozilla, which were pretty bad. Then in DOS I had Arachne, even though I didn't have an actual PPP connection to the internet; I used a free Lynx-based service via a terminal program (Commo!), so I rigged up a system of Commo scripts, batch files, and Turbo Pascal code to bridge requests between the two. It wasn't the quickest way of browsing the web, but it was the only way I could do it graphically.

There may have been other browsers mixed in there as well, but if I can't remember'em then they must have not been of much merit.

Reactions: jordsta95

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Chrome, never understood why so many people have ram issues with it. At most mine uses 1GB at a time, which isn't that much.

Doctor_Chuckles

Jul 29, 2019
Chrome is the best. Anyone who says other, shut up. Need to know a word? Search: Define (word). Try voice search if your lazy. Go write some documents on the google drive, or a slide show on slides! Run it with like, 25mb ram. Buy some games and cool backgrounds! Get it on your phone. Search the shop, images, videos, or just the web! What isn't there to like about chrome's endless toys and trinkets?

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I like Chrome but I can't use it when I'm trying to record or stream but it has really been the only one I consider usable other than Mozilla which I have a few exclusive uses for *cough*64-bit*cough*

Doctor_Chuckles

Jul 29, 2019
Google is the best company to search the internet. No ifs ands or buts! Only one more thing, internet explorer is as old as the internet itself! It was good in its day, but not its a pile of crap. Don't use it.

Reactions: jdog1408