What boiler should i get

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

James dore

Jul 29, 2019
I am running the ultimate pack and wondering what boiler should I set low or high pressue and how do we set it up

MrJims

Jul 29, 2019
Personaly I believe a high pressure boiler is to much hard work to run efficiently, fuel wise. A low pressure one is a lot simplier.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I tend to agree that the high pressure boiler can be harder to maintain unless you have tons of fuel ready for it.

Once you decide high or low, you'll also need to decide solid or liquid IIRC.

Going on the assumption of, let's say, solid, I usually recommend for your first boiler a 2x2 grid of solid fuel bricks (forget their name), and a 2x2x2 or 2x2x3(tall) box of low pressure boiler blocks on top of that.

Pipe in water to the fuel bricks. A single Aqueous Accumulator is easily enough for your boiler and probably one or two more boilers in addition.

Your boiler will be hungry as you give it fuel (coal or wood in our example here) and won't start producing steam until it hits 100 degrees Celsius. This is offset by the fact that it continues to produce steam for a long time as it COOLS down to 100C after it stops receiving fuel. Therefore, the hotter and longer you run it, the more efficient use you'll get out of your fuel.

The hotter it gets, the less fuel it will require to maintain heat and steam production.

I tend to "cheat" at this point and store my steam in a gigantic tank for later use. It helps in that you can run your boiler for longer periods of time instead of simply "on demand".[DOUBLEPOST=1391184460][/DOUBLEPOST]Also: IIRC, Ultimate has that powerconversion mod from PowerCrystals. Rather than storing your steam in a tank, you can also use that mod to convert the steam into either MJ or EU (Both of which have energy storage blocks, yay)

For what its worth.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
LP and HP boilers are equally efficient when fully heated. (1 unit of fuel will make the same amount of steam).
However HP boilers burn fuel twice as fast (making twice the steam), heat up at half the rate and get twice as hot- using 8x the fuel to get there.
Bigger boilers are more efficient than smaller ones- so a 16 block LP will be more efficient than a 8 block HP.
So the only time a HP will be efficient is if you go full size, and you have need for that level of power.
Each block of an LP boiler makes 2MJ/t. HP is 4MJ/t. (firebox doesn't count).

You could use a magma crucible to store energy as lava- lossy but more efficient than running a boiler larger than your needs. A HP uses half the space and less iron. Theres a lot of hidden design/gameplay around building a decent boiler house to suit your needs.
Anything except powercoverters; having a single magic block like that kills a lot of the fun ;)

Reactions: AlanEsh

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Something not often noted from my perspective is space to steam production. HP will produce more per block space than LP, though this only matters if you're working in a fixed room size.

If your power room is ludicrously sized, LP is simpler to work with and won't demand mountains of steel.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Anything except powercoverters; having a single magic block like that kills a lot of the fun
Seriously, one powerconverter can replace an entire factory of steam engines, its silly. I felt dirty for mentioning it, but if you're playing Ultimate its a valid tool :p

Arrays of industrial steam engines look so much cooler (and the multi-block EU steam turbines aren't too shabby either)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, one powerconverter can replace an entire factory of steam engines, its silly. I felt dirty for mentioning it, but if you're playing Ultimate its a valid tool :p

Arrays of industrial steam engines look so much cooler (and the multi-block EU steam turbines aren't too shabby either)

The steam turbines in Ultimate, iirc, are set at 100 EU/t, so the power converters are really much more useful. In later versions of railcraft the turbines have received buffs but the conversion is so bad in 1.4.7 that its really painful to not use power converters.

Its been a bit since i used them so i might be remembering wrong, but im pretty sure it was only 100 eu/t per turbine.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It will only explode if you try to add water after it's hot and is dry. And since the Aqueous Accumulator does exist, there's no reason for it to ever run dry.

I actually suggest using a dual-boiler setup. A max size LP boiler running on solid fuel for everyday energy generation, fed from a tree farm into a steam oven. And then a max size, HP boiler running on liquid fuel. The LP boiler can provide enough power to run day to day operations, and keep Forestry Treefarms going if you're doing tree breeding, or just keep your processing lines humming along. Then, when you need more power, you can fire up the HP boiler and throw a lot of energy into the system. True, it takes more time to startup, but you probably don't need the power that often.

If you really want efficiency, that same tree farm that powers the LP boiler can also convert the saplings to bio-fuel for the HP boiler.

Reactions: Padfoote

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
As I have described the boiler explosion in the past...

It's kinda like a trucker after too much chili. Mostly blows out the bottom and makes a mess. :eek:

In other words, they actually blow up downwards. The firebox explodes and takes out the ground underneath the boiler. I expect it'd take out piping and other infrastructure you put below. Exactly what causes them to explode is provided above.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In my 1.5.2 world, I had gt installed and used the stream directly. No engines or turbines needed. I had 4 hp boilers and only 32 engines for my mj needs. Everything else used steam.

thijser

Jul 29, 2019
You should take a look here it is slightly outdated but should still give a good idea about what type of engines to make depending on runtime.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6.4 packs, TE Steam Dynamos instead of ISEs on top of the boilers seems to run pretty smooth with no lag. Seems to be the engines rather then the boilers that were the source of most of the fps/lag issues.

Reactions: MigukNamja