What are YOUR frustrations in Feed The Beast?

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
Hello!

I'm the mod author of Refined Relocation, a mod centered around fixing my transportation problems/frustrations in modded Minecraft (mainly FTB). The mod has Sorting Chests/Barrels, that don't need piping around them, but will place items in the right place, Block Extenders, so you can pipe items/fluids/energy in from just one side of the block, Buffers, that convert item transportation systems (BC pipes <-> Itemducts) etc. etc.

All these little things make your base much cleaner and they fix these problems I encounter when designing my base. I still have a few blocks in mind that will fix even more problems, but I'm not the only one playing FTB. Maybe other players encounter other problems and I also what to fix those problems! I've already had some awesome suggestions and implemented them with much joy! Don't be scared to toss around some ideas, I'd love to hear them.

So my question is: What are YOUR (transportation) problems/frustrations in Feed The Beast?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
You can add something that sorts by name or item id, will be kinda unique and there isnt something like that.

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
You can add something that sorts by name or item id, will be kinda unique and there isnt something like that.
That's a very good suggestion. The only thing is, it's already in the mod :p The Sorting System can filter on (parts of) names, Ore Dictionary name, pre-made filters and Creative Tabs. But not the sorting system can use that, the Block Extenders and Buffers can also use that filtering to prevent/allow certain items to be inserted into a block/pipe.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Do you allow facades on your blocks? That would make it blend in. Or have something like the drawbridge where you take on the texture, but have your own overlay

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
Do you allow facades on your blocks? That would make it blend in. Or have something like the drawbridge where you take on the texture, but have your own overlay
The Block Extenders can be disguised (like the drawbridge) on their connected face (for non-full blocks like chests). The Sorting System works by placing chests/barrels next to each other so disguise is not needed. There are blocks that extend the Sorting System when placed next to other blocks of a system and they can be fully disguised. Buffers do not have a disguise option, but I will consider it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My main frustration with FTB is that nothing is up to date, and plenty of good, if not great, mods are nowhere near the packs.

For sorting issues, it's the whole "walls of chests but can't find anything" issue. A way to scan my chests in this network for a specific item would be awesome. Sorta like how LP has a block that you can request anything from your network at this location, also remote orderers. I doubt I'm going to use your mod too much since LP is always my go to sorting system since it's both not AE and allows me to pull what I want out of my network pretty much anywhere in it, or beyond if I'm deep into the mod.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see a player transport system that isnt overpowered nor overcomplicated. Because I cant craft portal guns until after I kill the Wither, and have to rely on luck to find one in a chest. And while mystcraft books are nice for warping between dimensions, it would be great if there was another option.

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
My main frustration with FTB is that nothing is up to date, and plenty of good, if not great, mods are nowhere near the packs.

For sorting issues, it's the whole "walls of chests but can't find anything" issue. A way to scan my chests in this network for a specific item would be awesome. Sorta like how LP has a block that you can request anything from your network at this location, also remote orderers. I doubt I'm going to use your mod too much since LP is always my go to sorting system since it's both not AE and allows me to pull what I want out of my network pretty much anywhere in it, or beyond if I'm deep into the mod.
The Sorting System is designed to be an early-game solution. Once you have the resources for AE it's a lot more powerful, but also less 'minecrafty', something I don't mind, but others do not really like. LP obviously is another solution (as is the Extra Utilities transport option), but they are harder to set up and require pipes to be placed.

EDIT: Oh and I meant frustrations IN FTB, not WITH FTB. I cannot fix the updating for you :p

I would like to see a player transport system that isnt overpowered nor overcomplicated. Because I cant craft portal guns until after I kill the Wither, and have to rely on luck to find one in a chest. And while mystcraft books are nice for warping between dimensions, it would be great if there was another option.
This is getting funny :) It has that! It's called the Player Relocator, you can teleport once every 15 minutes(configurable) to a reasonably expensive multiblock structure. You can make a one-dimensional working multiblock (gold block) or a inter-dimensional multiblock (diamond block). It does not require nether stars (I hate that). Oh and it has fancy particles and other effects :p (Take a look at the Player Relocator spoiler in the MCF post)

Last edited:
Reactions: epidemia78

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
a method to run items through the ore dictionary as they enter the storage system (unifying import block or something)...I set which type of ingot I want to be stored, so then on import...say if I've chosen to have rotarycraft copper ingots, it would unify mekanism or other copper ingots into rotarycraft as soon as it enters the system.

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
a method to run items through the ore dictionary as they enter the storage system (unifying import block or something)...I set which type of ingot I want to be stored, so then on import...say if I've chosen to have rotarycraft copper ingots, it would unify mekanism or other copper ingots into rotarycraft as soon as it enters the system.
That's an awesome idea! I will add this! I already have come up with a way of cleanly adding this to the Sorting System. For now you could use JABBA barrels to store ingots (they can be a part of the sorting system when upgraded), I think they have an option to auto-convert.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That's an awesome idea! I will add this! I already have come up with a way of cleanly adding this to the Sorting System. For now you could use JABBA barrels to store ingots (they can be a part of the sorting system when upgraded), I think they have an option to auto-convert.
Speaking of JABBA barrels, was wondering, how much support do you have for JABBA and those barrels? I was going to run a wall of barrels with some items I have tons of, but JABBA is much more then just storage. It's INTELLIGENT storage.

...Actually, come to think of it, is there any hope for a item that pulls a requested item from your storage network and into a waiting inventory, maybe a ender chest?
Heck, even ender chest support would be nice(no hope for vanilla ones, I know, but ChickenBones ones would be great to have support for), plus with a way to select a item you want out of storage and in a specific chest, while in the field...

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

They do, and that is how I currently do it, but I import them into the barrel and then export them into my AE system. Having one block that could do automatically it rather than 3 would be nice :D[DOUBLEPOST=1397824553][/DOUBLEPOST]
...Actually, come to think of it, is there any hope for a item that pulls a requested item from your storage network and into a waiting inventory, maybe a ender chest?

oh yeah, this would be awesome as well. I currently do this via AE/LP working together to keep a certain stock of items in an enderpouch. Takes something like 5-6 different items to get that system working. Having a single block to perform that function would be awesome :)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It's frustrating that the modders are people and not some sort of automatic machine that can output brilliant fully polished mods the instant that MC updates.

(That's the most annoying part for me, and it's not annoying)

Next: Crashes and world corruption >:

Dynious

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of JABBA barrels, was wondering, how much support do you have for JABBA and those barrels? I was going to run a wall of barrels with some items I have tons of, but JABBA is much more then just storage. It's INTELLIGENT storage.

Heck, even ender chest support would be nice(no hope for vanilla ones, I know, but ChickenBones ones would be great to have support for), plus with a way to select a item you want out of storage and in a specific chest, while in the field...
JABBA barrels are fully supported, you can have any upgrades you want. When you add an item to the system it will try to add the item to the barrels in the system (as if you would right-click), empty barrels will be skipped.

This current system is only sorting, so retrieval of items is still manual. The sorting system can output items it gets in an 'non-sorting system block', by placing that block next to a Sorting Interface. But who knows what will happen in the future :)

EDIT: A block that will keep a certain amount of items in a block (and other inventory specific functions) is on the to-do list.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They do, and that is how I currently do it, but I import them into the barrel and then export them into my AE system. Having one block that could do automatically it rather than 3 would be nice :D[DOUBLEPOST=1397824553][/DOUBLEPOST]

oh yeah, this would be awesome as well. I currently do this via AE/LP working together to keep a certain stock of items in an enderpouch. Takes something like 5-6 different items to get that system working. Having a single block to perform that function would be awesome :)
I can do with with LP alone, but it doesn't keep a stockpile in a pouch, it sends it when I request it, including things that need crafting(and assuming I register the recipe first).
Somehow your setup sounds better, though.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019

Can't you use the AE ME Interface for that? You can specify how much of a specific item you want to keep 'in stock' (the top right slots)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you use the AE ME Interface for that? You can specify how much of a specific item you want to keep 'in stock' (the top right slots)
Yeah, but that only works for what I want "In Stock", not "hey, could use some snacks. And by snacks, I mean TNT" when I normally request food food from this chest.