What are the most essential mods a mod pack could have? (in you opinions)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, Mekanism for the mech, smartmoving because minecraft is not the same after you used it, enviromine for the physics and air mechanics which are seriously awesome and primitive mobs to make the thing more fun.. After that, everything depends on what you want to focus the pack, but I will never play a pack without those 4 mods again, as simple as that, they give the game just too much for me to accept less.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I always add a minimap - used to be Zans but its not available as a forge mod anymore so I now just use the mapwriter bundled with opis.

And craftguide. Because I feel NIE is cheating. Especially in modded Minecraft an in game recipe lookup is critical.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
as a modpack maker, I can say that no mods are essential, but the ones that do end up in most my packs are NEI and Inventory Tweaks. I'm sure Waila is a good option, but I never bothered with that.

I mean looking at my packs, there are no content-adding mods that are consistent throughout my packs. they're pretty much all different, except the ones that have the same title. But hey, that's my perspective.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
For me, give me:
NEI, and InventoryTweaks and you can build almost anything, and I'd say your pack has a chance. If you don't have NEI, your pack may as well be called "I'm going in blind" especially if you have custom recipes ;)

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel and Carpenter's blocks.

No matter what modpack you play, you will always want to make your buildings at least a little more fancier.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Even though I haven't used them very much, MineTweaker and ModTweaker have proven to be quite useful in devising anti-frustration measures, like a semi-shortcut around AE2's crystal growing and a method to obtain sky stone that isn't dependent on the blessings of the RNG gods, as well as fixing the odd recipe derp in some mods.

As for things that actually involve gameplay, I'd have to say that Mekanism, Tinkers' Construct (with Metallurgy and ExtraTiC, because having a grand total of, like, seven metals to use isn't all that interesting), and Applied Energistics (even with its new, frustrating 1.7 features) are mission critical. Reika's mods, most especially RotaryCraft, are a very close second simply by virtue of how interesting they are and how fun they are to use. Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks for making things look cool, and even Thaumcraft is becoming something I find more and more useful as time goes by, especially when it comes to farming.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
At this point in time, modded minecraft (for me) is defined by AE, item/liquid/energy transport (TE, BC, Ender I/O, etc.), and modded tool/armours (TiCo, TC, Fz, IC2, etc.). As long as the mod pack has some element of the aforementioned, not much else is really required.

To be completely honest, I wouldnt' mind a lite mod pack, which gives you TiCo, some automation, and better storage, but maintained vanilla at its core. Been meaning to at least try vanilla, but every time I imagine mining out spaces with a pick, no flight, and having to deal with double chests ONLY... Major boner killer.