Request What are the cool, progression based packs that aren't expert?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
So for years, I've heard all this hype about expert packs. How they blend all the mods together in cool ways to create a sense of progression, and I loved that idea. I also heard they were "Harder" then normal packs but I didn't think that would be a big deal. So, for the first time I tried two expert packs over this week, continuum and sevtech.

Both seemed like interesting ideas and I loved the idea, especially of sevtech, but I quickly realized somthing... I don't want minecraft to be harder. I don't need extra steps to make somthing more worthwhile. I don't need to run around finding swim bladders instead of making buckets, or tatch instead of wool.

So this led me to a revelation, I don't want somthing HARDER then normal minecraft, I just want somthing a little more focused than whatever the kitchen sink flavor of the month is. In particular I loved magic quest, back when that was new. I'm not hugely into magic packs but it forced me to use Thaumcraft to get that fix in and it was great.

So I guess my question is, are there other packs like that, with more guided focuses then the Kitchen Sink packs, but not made more difficult for the people who are bored of "Normal" minecraft progression?

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
While I'm not sure of any packs that meet your criteria, I do recommend trying one or two more expert packs. I say this because Sevtech is extremely unique as far as packs go, and continuum is kinda a... sub par pack in general. Good choices may be Enigmatica 2 expert, Awakening (this one would probably be best up until the end game) and Project Ozone 2 (this one has several difficulty levels).

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
While I'm not sure of any packs that meet your criteria, I do recommend trying one or two more expert packs. I say this because Sevtech is extremely unique as far as packs go, and continuum is kinda a... sub par pack in general. Good choices may be Enigmatica 2 expert, Awakening (this one would probably be best up until the end game) and Project Ozone 2 (this one has several difficulty levels).

I might also add that if you feel the 'expert' packs a bit difficult (I find them boring myself) there is also a 'normal' mode Enigmatica 2. Also a Skyblock version as well. These are 3 separate packs, so make sure to get the one you want before clicking Install. :D

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tips. I will go check these out. It'll be nice to have a bit more structure then the kitchen pack stuff.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
SkyFactory 3 might be a good fit for you. It connects mods in a somewhat linear progression manner without being expert. It does use Ex Nihlio however, which can be very frustrating to learn if you don't know it. Enigmatica 2 normal is a really great pack for almost anyone. It is a massive pack though, your pc will need to be up to the challenge.

If I may suggest, pick any kitchen sink mod pack out there and play it like you would anything else. Then select 1-2 mods you don't know and make it your goal to learn them this play through. It is what I do.