WEREWOLF: A Game of Secret Identities & Eating People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, i found about this thread too late, can I join in round 2?

No, Sir, I'm afraid you may not: You can join in round 1! In fact, you already have: Congratulations, you're fighting for your life! (I'm assuming you only asked for round 2 because you figured you were too late for round 1; please let me know if that's not the case.)

I've waited a few days on the convos (sorry for that regrettably necessary delay), and I've received responses from everyone except GPuzzle and SnappCraft. Both were enthused to play, and both responded to the first roll-call, so I hate to move on without them---but they'll have priority, front-row seating for game 2 if they're up for it.

Oh! Did y'all hear that clanging noise? It was the sound of me putting down my Iron Foot of Tyranny, from which there is no return:

The Final List of Players for Game 1 of "Werewolf:"

I've listed Werewolves first, then the Seer In no particular order:
  • PeggleFrank
  • the_j485
  • Jess887cp
  • ICountFrom0
  • Tellerofstones
  • Henry Link
  • goreae
  • VikeStep
Very shortly, you will all receive a private message detailing your TEAM and your ROLE. You may also find a few rule clarifications/highlights specific to your role, as well as the occasional hint or strategy that you may find useful.

Final Notes
(These have been edited into the OP.)

This will be an 8-Player game.
  • The 2-player Werewolf Team will include two Werewolves, though there is a 25% chance that one of those Werewolves will instead be the Lone Wolf or the Teenage Werewolf.
  • The 6-player Villager Team will include a Seer, a Bodyguard, and four Villagers
On Flipz excellent advice, I will be starting a new thread at the beginning of each game-day, and locking the previous day's thread when I do. The last post of each day's thread will contain a link to the new thread, so you won't get lost. This will help keep things organized, and ensure the transition from day-to-day isn't lost in the shuffle of an ever-growing thread.

Once I send out the information, introduce the Werewolves to each other, and ask the Seer who he or she wishes to examine on the first night, I will begin Day 1's thread and link to it from here.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, roles have been assigned, the Werewolves have been introduced, and the Seer is currently deciding whose soul will be revealed on the first night. Once that decision is in, I'll begin the Day 1 thread.

*furiously edits post* Bah, I'm going to have to introduce a "random pronouns" rule: Because I will inevitably refer to characters by gender at some point, I'm going to refer to everyone by random genders at every point. It's the only way :p Metagame on the basis of my gender derps at your peril! :cool:

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I, personally, am a fan of the gender-neutral "they"; technically speaking, it's grammatically incorrect, but IMHO it shouldn't be. ;)

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I, personally, am a fan of the gender-neutral "they"; technically speaking, it's grammatically incorrect, but IMHO it shouldn't be. ;)

It's absolutely correct from any Germanic language root. Third person indefinite Ihr. Though don't forget the capital, that would be rude. English seems to have lost it, settles on they, and so do I. Course, growing up in and about the PA dutch regions, well, that has something to do with it.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Oh, and incidentally double posting (I think this will auto merge) ... having a look at the rules, that's an oddly complicated system, never before seen that one in use on a forum.

So, game theory, it's possible to skip a lynch as an option. Sadly the strategies that I know of to take advantage of that fact require villagers to be able to talk among themselves in private, aka sending messages. So I might as well talk about them, as nobody will be using them, though only when I'm bored.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pumped, can't wait to start, also regarding deadlines, for people in certain timezones it may be obvious to know who the werewolf/seer was based on the time that they gave the information. How will we work around this and what timezone are we going off for deadlines?

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
... also regarding deadlines, for people in certain timezones it may be obvious to know who the werewolf/seer was based on the time that they gave the information. How will we work around this and what timezone are we going off for deadlines?
That's why I've been silent for the past day --- I was shielding our Seer by leaving open the possibility that I was the one holding things up. Fortunately, it's only the first night where this kind of delay is obvious: Because I have open private convo's with any roles that have jobs to do at night, I encourage them to let me know at some point during the previous day what they'll be doing that night (usually around the time they vote on lynching).

Regardless, it's been 24 hours since our Seer was tapped, and I can't keep you waiting any longer. GPuzzle has expressed interest in playing, so we're going to back up to before the roles were handed out and start again. Never fear, though: I will be accelerating the start process by asking all of you to tell me who you will target if you are given certain roles. This way, we will be able to begin the first day in exactly 24 hours.

Within 24 hours (by 6:00 PM UTC), I need everyone interested in playing (current players, new players, whoever!) to open a conversation with me containing the following information:
  • "I'm in!"
  • The player you will check on the first night to see whether they are a Werewolf (in case you are the Seer)
  • The player you will check on the first night to see whether they are the Seer (in case you are the Sorcerer)
  • The two players who must die for you to win (in case you are the Hoodlum)

(You may want to provide second and third-priority targets, in case the player you've targeted doesn't respond in time to play.)

If any of the above information is left out, your target(s) on the first night will be chosen randomly. (Since the first night's choices are pretty much random already, this isn't really a disadvantage.)

Tomorrow, at around 6:00 PM UTC --- that's 2:00 PM EDT / 1:00 PM EST, Wd 00:Z / Wd 00:1 in Australia, etc. --- I'll send out roles, send out the results of checks, lock this thread, and begin Day 1!

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
You are putting some people, namely me, at a HUGE disadantage, because I have no clue who's playing now, so how am I supposed to be able to give any list, especially without knowing if I have any role at all?

I wish the finalhit forum existed still, there where so many archived games there that worked so ver well....

I've got dibs on GM for game 3. I'm sure the person who wants to run game 2 has ideas for rules as well. So, once we've got a few people with strong thoughts about how the rules should work, you think we can slowly work to common ground and experimentation to find this forum's perfect shared ruleset.... one that wouldn't require a forum mod to monitor the game?

Though, you know, right now somebody is going to be dead before they even know who they are, that's sort of harsh. We'd otherwise have a day of posting for a seerer to give subtle hits and get a bodyguard to target them, while trying to be too subtle to get the wolf to see them. The hoodlam likewise would have additonal hope of spotting people who look valuable, or likely to be killed by the wolves.

Sorry, but night 1 is far from random, it's based on everything anybody posts on day 1.

I figure the hoodlam will target me, because I expect a wolf to target me, because I sound like I know what I'm doing... So I don't expect to be in the game long. That's just the way of the game though.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Sadly that's only a list of the people who checked in before it was updaetd the last time it was updated.

As the list of who's playing, is equal to whomever sends a PM, an event that I can't see, then it's actually impossible to know with sureness who is or isn't playing, except for the few brave fools who are posting right now and saying that they did.

A smart seer (though they don't KNOW they are the seer, and thus wouldn't actually be a smart one, just a lucky one) will refrain from posting.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see the problem, its not like I am going to change my decisions for anything (if I end up being Werewolf/Seer/Sorcerer) by knowing who's playing beforehand... We can just hear at the same time as everyone else who is playing and what our role is... Or am I forgetting something?

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
We're being asked to send in night 1's answer, before we even get our role... so day 1 is already locked in stone, on the assumption that the first pick would be random, when it wouldn't be.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
"back up to before the roles where handed out"

So, no, the ones we got are not valid anymore.

and "Tomorrow, at around 6:00 PM UTC --- that's 2:00 PM EDT / 1:00 PM EST, Wd 00:Z / Wd 00:1 in Australia, etc. --- I'll send out roles, send out the results of checks, lock this thread, and begin Day 1!"

So, our day 1 moves are already locked in place, before we get a list of who's playing, or without knowing anything that's going to happen...

Sending night 1, before day 1, is .... I don't get it.

But that's okay, I'm not GM, I don't have to get it. I just have to play within the rules.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, I get it, yeah that is a bit messed up, I think he may have overlooked that detail, its around 2:30 AM where he is, so we will have to wait a while to hear back from him

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Eunomiac is running a night-start game--that is, there's a night of actions, and then the first day begins. I'm not a huge fan of night-start setups (also known as "Night 0" setups, I personally prefer the term Night 0 for clarity), but to each his own. ;)

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm very confused. I'm in, or whatever, or something. It will probably all make sense when this thread is locked.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
... I believe that Eunomiac is running a night-start game--that is, there's a night of actions, and then the first day begins.
This is correct, though it's a limited night start game: The Werewolves do not get a kill on the first night. The point of starting at night without a kill is to inject the first day's discussions with some actionable intelligence: At the very least, the Seer will have checked one of you. Without a limited "night 0" setup, the first lynching becomes too random (at least, in my opinion)---no one has any information to act on, nor is there even the possibility of information that players could pretend to act on.

In short, this guarantees that the first death will not happen until all "information-gathering"/"non-killing" characters have used their abilities once. This is a good thing, I think.

As for my claim that the first night's choices are random, they are: They are the first thing that happens in the game, before any discussion.

We have check-ins from 8 players. I'll assume an 8-player game, but there's still 20 minutes for a last-second entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.