WEREWOLF: A Game of Secret Identities & Eating People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellerofstones

Jul 29, 2019
Do i have to say "Haaayyyy-errrr."? or just say hello i lost track of what i was going along time ago xD (i am tired can some one explain in very simple terms...? )

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry all, RL pseudomergency yanked me away from the Intertubes and I neglected y'all yet again. (Stupid reality! Honestly, when will we finally get to put it behind us? Blue pill FTW!)

I believe I will be back in good form by tomorrow (or possibly Tuesday), but once I am I shall happily demonstrate how not a flake I am when it comes to running a forum game. I'll PM everyone who's expressed interest in playing as soon as I'm back.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
A glorious morning indeed, for it looks like we've exceeded our wildest expectations and attained the magical, minimum number for an effective two-Werewolf game: NINE Players! *pauses for the people, for they are rejoicing*
  • PeggleFrank
  • the_j485
  • Jess887cp
  • ICountFrom0
  • GPuzzle
  • SnappCraft
  • Tellerofstones
  • Henry Link
  • goreae
The good news: I will be firing out a PM to each of you after I've posted this. Then, within a few hours, I'll have a rules post up that will hopefully contain everything you need to know to play (do ask for clarifications!).

The bad news: Please refrain from suggesting new variant rules or changes for our first game. I'm going to be reluctantly dictatorial this first run-through, mostly to prevent more delays as we discuss the pros and cons of one rule change over another, but also to keep the complexity down.

More good news (plot twist!): For our next game, however, I'll make up for my tyranny by incorporating some of the interesting variants that have been suggested---as well as a little-known one that's focused on making the "basic Villager" role a bit more exciting---while bringing in new roles for both all teams.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Ah, "little known" and basic villager... because our good GM thinks in terms of WW and not Mafia, we're not talking the gunman, we're talking the angel... I hope it's the variation where the person with it is not even TOLD until they die.
That, like the blind wolf pack, makes it fun.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, rules post is up! (I edited into the OP, for ease-of-access --- really wish I'd thought ahead to reserve the second post down, but alas.)

Ah, "little known" and basic villager... because our good GM thinks in terms of WW and not Mafia, we're not talking the gunman, we're talking the angel...
You know the inner recesses of my twisted mind so well, do you? *insert maniacal cackle*

pic1059059.jpg
pic1048655.png
pic1054403.jpg
pic1089223.jpg

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
well, that's not just very rare, that's exceptionally rare, never heard of artifact derived variations. Special deck?

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
You could ask pegglefrank to delete his post. Then you would have the extra second post. Also, I'm willing to be GM if you want to play.

I suppose I could have, but---despite my intimidating, broom-helmeted avatar---I'm too much a sweetheart to play the Eminent Domain card... just yet, at least ;)

And thank you so much for the offer to GM---I will definitely take you up on it for our second game, if you remain willing, as I do love to play! But since I've gathered everyone here under my auspicious claim of experienced leadership (fools, the lot of 'em), I must follow through on the first go 'round!

And while I'm here: While I posted those "Artifacts" pics on a lark, they're definitely one of my favorite parts of Werewolf---each player gets one at the start of the game, in addition to their Role card (including all villagers, hence my "something to improve the lot of the basic villager" hint). At the beginning of each day, each player has the option to reveal their Artifact---making it public to everyone---or to keep it face-down. Many of the Artifacts are simple reproductions of normal Werewolf roles, but they take on a whole new significance considering (A) they only come into effect upon being publicly revealed (e.g. "Claws of the Werewolf": Upon being revealed, you become a member of the Werewolf team, and wake with the Werewolves to choose someone to kill each night.) and (B) you don't always get a choice on when they're revealed (the "Emerald of Jealousy" is but one example---imagine targeting someone who holds the "Orb of Speculation" with that! Oops!)

EDIT: Just to be clear, NO Artifacts for our first game: All rules are in the OP, and the only surprises are listed there (i.e. the possibility of a Lone Wolf or Teenage Werewolf).

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
well, that's not just very rare, that's exceptionally rare, never heard of artifact derived variations. Special deck?

Yes, an expansion for Werewolf Ultimate---the third after Classic Movie Monsters and Things That Go Bump In The Night (which includes the role card "The Thing That Goes Bump In The Night", as well as the Insomniac and Little Girl I mentioned earlier). It's absolutely fantastic; I've played ... oh, it must be fifty, at least ... games with Artifacts (in person, rather---only a few times on forums). They're simply perfect: They add a great deal of interesting discussion fodder without detracting from the game-at-large or being especially confusing to new players (important concerns of mine when I first started playing with them), and they make being a "normal villager" quite a bit more interesting! (The combination of "negative" artifacts with cards that force people to reveal artifacts when they don't want to is especially awesome.)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I suppose I could have, but---despite my intimidating, broom-helmeted avatar---I'm too much a sweetheart to play the Eminent Domain card... just yet, at least ;)

And thank you so much for the offer to GM---I will definitely take you up on it for our second game, if you remain willing, as I do love to play! But since I've gathered everyone here under my auspicious claim of experienced leadership (fools, the lot of 'em), I must follow through on the first go 'round!

And while I'm here: While I posted those "Artifacts" pics on a lark, they're definitely one of my favorite parts of Werewolf---each player gets one at the start of the game, in addition to their Role card (including all villagers, hence my "something to improve the lot of the basic villager" hint). At the beginning of each day, each player has the option to reveal their Artifact---making it public to everyone---or to keep it face-down. Many of the Artifacts are simple reproductions of normal Werewolf roles, but they take on a whole new significance considering (A) they only come into effect upon being publicly revealed (e.g. "Claws of the Werewolf": Upon being revealed, you become a member of the Werewolf team, and wake with the Werewolves to choose someone to kill each night.) and (B) you don't always get a choice on when they're revealed (the "Emerald of Jealousy" is but one example---imagine targeting someone who holds the "Orb of Speculation" with that! Oops!)

EDIT: Just to be clear, NO Artifacts for our first game: All rules are in the OP, and the only surprises are listed there (i.e. the possibility of a Lone Wolf or Teenage Werewolf).
I'd rather sit back and watch the action unfold, knowing everything happening behind the scenes and giggling. An empowered spectator, if you will.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather sit back and watch the action unfold, knowing everything happening behind the scenes and giggling. An empowered spectator, if you will.

Well that's too bad, you're playing and you're gonna like it whether you like it or not. Stop! You've read that sentence once, you don't need to go reading it again: It made total sense.

Just waiting on two more, and it hasn't even been that long since I sent out the convos. Go Team! (Which team? Ask me when the game is over.)

Status
Not open for further replies.