Weird visual glitch in 1.7.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I've put together a custom modpack for 1.7.10 that I'm testing, and I have one bug that is proving difficult to nail down. If I break a chest full of items, for example, about half of the items will be opaque squares. So I could have a stack of zombie flesh that looks normal and then another stack right next to it that is an opaque square with the zombie flesh icon on it. This also occasionally occurs on item frames, drying racks, Biblio labels, etc.

I've got about 120 mods installed atm. Here's the list:

x Highlands
x Natura
x Dark Menagerie
x Pam's Harvestcraft
x Blood Magic
x Witchery
x Open Computers
x Ender IO
x Minefactory Reloaded
x COFHCore
x Thermal Foundation
x Thermal Expansion
x Simply Jetpacks
x Redstone Arsenal
x Mekanism
x Mekanism Generators
x Mekanism Tools
x AE2
x Railcraft
x Steve's Carts
x Steve's Factory Manager
x Refined Relocation
x Big Reactors
x Forestry
x Binnie's Mods (Extra Trees, Extra Bees, Genetics, Botany) ALPHA
x BDLib
x Gendustry
x Buildcraft
x Mantle (Req. for TiC)
x TiC
x TiC Tooltips
x TiC Mechworks
x Soul Shards Reborn
x LiteLoader (for VoxelMap)
x VoxelMap
x Project Red (All Modules)
x Random Things
x Extra Utilities
x Router Reborn
x OpenModsLib
x Open Blocks
x AromaCore
x Aroma1997s Dimensional World
x NEI
x NEI Plugins
x NEI Addons (adds breeding recipes)
x INPure Core (denoflionsx removes microblocks and crap from NEI)
x Enhanced Portals
x WAILA
x WAILA Harvestability
x Super Crafting Frame
x Inventory Tweaks
x Practicalities:
x Chisel
x Carpenter's Blocks
x Bibliocraft
x Bibliowoods - HL, Forestry, Natura
x Iron Chests
x Ender Storage
x JABBA
x Garden Stuff

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The tedious solution is to remove one mod at a time and load your world to determine the culprit. The annoying and repeated tips include: disabling Optifine & removing texture packs.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The tedious solution is to remove one mod at a time and load your world to determine the culprit.

The ONLY solution if no one posts, do it in a test world, I find removing batches of about 5 mods at a time is the "quickest" way, a good way to learn core dependencies this, forget to remove one of them with your batch and start the load aaaaaaall over again. Coffee and an episode(or 10) of dire should help you keep your sanity staring at the Mojang screen for a few hours

Reactions: RedBoss

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I was so hoping that someone else had experienced this and just knew what was up. First I'll try updating all the mods. If that doesn't do it, I will do the mod removal thing.

Darva

Jul 29, 2019
The idea of batches of 5, or one at a time really isn't the most optimal method.

1: Remove half of current mods
2: Test
3: Did it happen?
Yes: It's in your currently loaded list of mods. If you have more than 1 mod loaded, goto 1.
No: It's in one of the mods you just removed. Switch halves. Goto 2.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksort)

Reactions: xyzzy75

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The idea of batches of 5, or one at a time really isn't the most optimal method.

1: Remove half of current mods
2: Test
3: Did it happen?
Yes: It's in your currently loaded list of mods. If you have more than 1 mod loaded, goto 1.
No: It's in one of the mods you just removed. Switch halves. Goto 2.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksort)

If mods are unrelated that would work, but with dependencies and add ons that's impossible

ingie

Jul 29, 2019
I was so hoping that someone else had experienced this and just knew what was up. First I'll try updating all the mods. If that doesn't do it, I will do the mod removal thing.

whilst i haven't experienced the issue, i am running almost all the mods you list via my own bastardised version of the atlauncher bevo's tech pack... if you head to their site and check the mod list for the latest version of that [10.2 i think] and remove mods which /aren't/ on the list there, maybe it'll be a good start - you'll only have to remove about half a dozen... i know there's a few on your list [ Binnie / Big Reactors ] which are "yet to be stable enough" to be in the BTP, and Aroma1997Dimension was removed from the pack after it was doing very weird things - i had a "ghost" version of half my base in the dimensional world. [ quarrying in the twighlight forest is so much more fun anyway ;) ]

I've also added a fair few, like computercraft pre release 4, computronics, morph... latest railcraft [with electric locos] and my own fork of opencomputers- i'm at a total of 162 mods and all is well, for the most part... apart from tinkers mech, which loves to crash the client if you use drawbridges...

so, yeah, not advertising ATLauncher :) but check that list and remove what isn't there could be a quick start/ check his pack's version numbers... if your issue is still there and you have the same mods as that pack, or at least none that aren't there, then the issue is likely to be more config related...

edit: weird, i'm sure i'd posted here before a few times, apparently that was my first post - i must have dreamt the rest

Reactions: xyzzy75