Ways to travel up & down?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
Another option is faith plates to launch you from floor to floor.

This! And portal spawners to launch you to your floor with speed best part is you don't get stuck in portals all the time xD
Just create a simple button and wireless Redstone contraption to select your floor and maybe a tripwire that activates when you jump prolly best to have a delay between jumping and portal spawning but that's the fun part xD

Holland says hi!

Aeronica

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer to use Mystcraft portals and set the intra-dimensional option on the link books. Two per floor. One links up to the next floor and the other links down. At least if you run the 1.4.7 MC version of Ullitmate is works well.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
If you have good armor and a tnt factory you can always setup a tnt based lift system to blast your self from floor to floor.

Drkevlar

Jul 29, 2019
Few unmentioned options:

- Water lift, just make sure no blocks touch the stream or it will be really slow.
- Mystcraft portals controlled with CC to insert/extract books.
- IC2 Teleporter, even though it uses a bunch of power it's quite powerful.
- Repower 2 elevator.
- The thing from TC3 i think, that consumes an enderpearl when teleporting.
- Xeno's reliquary Wraith node.
- Acrane levitator with trap doors.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Use arcane levitators but in a stepped fashion like this:-
F:-floor
G:- gap
L:- Levitator

FFFFGGLFFFF

FFFFLGGFFFF

FFFFFGLFFFF

The levitators will only lift you till you hit the roof of the bext floor above and the middle gap will let you fall all the way down. Simply move left and right to catch the next levitator for the next floor. Or a ladder;)

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
This is the single thing I miss from BTW. It was so easy to make elevators. Now, FC makes sure to completely break any compatibility and it's in serious competition with Terrafirma for being the most hardcore mod ever.

Ixeling

Jul 29, 2019
This is the single thing I miss from BTW. It was so easy to make elevators. Now, FC makes sure to completely break any compatibility and it's in serious competition with Terrafirma for being the most hardcore mod ever.
What's "FC" and "BTW"?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Flower child the dev behind Better then Wolves, which is a total conversion mod that prides it self on being incompatible with everything.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to go old school vinilla and have access to a stedy supply of enderpearls heres a simple two diretional system.

Each floor needs a 4x4x2 area to build this.

B=BLOCK
A=Air
Code:
B B B B
B A A B
B A A B
B B B B

So now that you have that. Put laders inside the 2x2x2 hole and them put string across the top of it.

standing on the floor below toss your pearl up. and BAM you should be standing on the top of the laders of the next floor.

Its fairly simple once you get the hang of it and unlike the old stacked boat elevtors this will work on servers.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Actually once you have the infrastructure Railcraft radically increases the yield on recipes. You spend WAY less iron.

For me, the worst is creosote oil!I always use it for extra power, so, I'm always out of it...

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
You could probably build a system using CC computers, arcane levitators, pistons (or the new TC drawbridge), and wireless redstone. I'm not too good with lua so I'm not sure how hard it would be to code, but basically you would tell the computer to, say, go to floor 40 (as an example) and it would turn on the amount of levitators required to get to that floor and then block it off using the piston. You would need to set it so it can register whether you're going up or down as well.

Or, if you don't mind doing it, there's this http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1597758-152-elevator-mod-modloader-forge-support/

Edit: There's also http://slimevoid.net/dynamic-elevators/

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone ever done a computer controlled zipper elevator? That would be an interesting application of truly old school vanilla crossed with modern mods.

Come to think of it, I may have to play with that!

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang broke the traditional piston based zipper elevators back in 1.3 by making them far more buggy and temperamental. Basically they only work in SSP and if your standing perfectly in the middle of the elevator and even then they are highly prone to error.

A better option is the pig lift where you suspend saddled pigs in a column and click on them while looking up so that you move from one to another rapidly.

Basically it is in this pattern.

saddled pig
water
sign
air
saddled pig
water
sign
air
etc

With this method you can travel up at insane speeds that are even faster then creative flight.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang broke the traditional piston based zipper elevators back in 1.3 by making them far more buggy and temperamental. Basically they only work in SSP and if your standing perfectly in the middle of the elevator and even then they are highly prone to error.

I wonder if this was because it ended up running too fast, at one stair/piston per tick? If we slowed it down with computer control a bit, it still might work. Just an idea to play with.

MFR rednet with a PRC might just do the trick.

Jaxx050

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use any of the above solutions. I have a portal spawner on my top-most ceiling, and one I can fall into in my basement, as well as an empty shaft between them with sticky pistons on every floor. I have computers on every floor that are all capable of activating wireless redstone receivers next to the pistons, and I can just hop into the portal and it stops me on the floor I want. :D