Ways to travel up & down?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
What good ways are there of travelling up & down. My new base is very tall, and I was originally going to travel up & down via arcane levitators until I realised I couldn't stop at every floor. Ideally, I would like to able to push a certain button and be taken to the correct floor, but I don't know if its possible. Is it? How would I go about doing it?

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently added an EnhancedPortals network to my base to move between floors. Best part is I can go straight to the floor I want as well as other offsite locations that I've set up.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather not install any more mods (you don't want to know what happened last time I tried it)... I guess I should also mention i'm using the ultimate pack.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Stairs. A bit outdated, but still...
This days, everyone wants to be creative!But FYI, a good of way of creativetie, is getting old Ideas and Re-Invent them.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
I use Railcraft elevator tracks. You can quite easily make redstone control with MFR Rednet Controller.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft is very expensive!
I know it is, but seeing as I want to be able to stop at any floor, this is beginning to seem like the best solution. Unfortunately i'm no good with redstone, i'd never be able to make it work... I don't suppose anyone knows of a guide on this sort of thing?

Reactions: whizzball1

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Stairs. A bit outdated, but still...
This days, everyone wants to be creative!But FYI, a good of way of creativetie, is getting old Ideas and Re-Invent them.

I know it is, but seeing as I want to be able to stop at any floor, this is beginning to seem like the best solution. Unfortunately i'm no good with redstone, i'd never be able to make it work... I don't suppose anyone knows of a guide on this sort of thing?

Just to quote myself...The answer is "Use Stairs!"

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019

Redstone is a strength of mine.
But this is actually extremely simple.
B is for Button and R is for Redstone Line.
B1 activates R1.
B2 activates R2 and R3.
R2 leads to a repeater which activates R1.
R1 leads to A1 (Arcane Levitator).
R3 activates A2.
B3 activates R4, R5, and R6.
R4 leads to a repeater that activates R2.
R5 leads to a repeater that activates R3.
R6 activates A3.
So on, so on, so on.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
There is a way to do this with arcane levitators and taking advantage of the fact that they turn off with a redstone signal. Basically you need to stack a few together and wire them all to a complex control system to power and unpower the redstone signal to control the lift height as needed.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
There is a way to do this with arcane levitators and taking advantage of the fact that they turn off with a redstone signal. Basically you need to stack a few together and wire them all to a complex control system to power and unpower the redstone signal.

Oh yeah.
Whoops!
I forgot that you need a not gate before every levitator.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
There is a way to do this with arcane levitators and taking advantage of the fact that they turn off with a redstone signal. Basically you need to stack a few together and wire them all to a complex control system to power and unpower the redstone signal to control the lift height as needed.
I thought of this as well, but you have to make each floor 11 blocks tall. I think i'll just go with elevator tracks.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Also be aware that arcane levitators will lift you 10 blocks and each additional one in the stack will increase it by ten.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
You could always use wireless redstone so that you press a button, and blocks extend to prevent you from going higher than the destination floor. Then, when you get off of the levitators, you step on a pressure plate that reset's the system. Not multiplayer-safe, but alright otherwise.

I inagine the creative use of toggle latches and such would help. If you're especially good, you can program in failsafes, but that'l be much harder.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
if your building has 9 stories or less, you could use a 3x3 of IC2 teleporters controlled by Computercraft button monitors on each level. But the cost of EU is quite high.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Jetpacks man. Heh, Though I know you want a base solution. Try making a vanilla piston elevator? Though those might not be fast enough for your tastes.

IC2 teleporters are the fastest, given that you can supply the EU required. Thank goodness on SSP I can use waypoints.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
If you are an extremely patient individual, then you could always try coding a frame elevator.