Warning - Streams are being DDOSed :(

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

welshtony

Jul 29, 2019
I dont actually have a link but I have been in a few streams now that have been attacked. (im going to look now)

Basicly someone has found a way to get into your network through the port that twitch uses and then they DDOS you :(

I have seen a video posted up today from a big youtuber about it with the description as "Kids, don't DDoS livestreamers...seriously, it's just stupid. " so it has been noticed.

Sorry if this is posted in wrong area but as it is about livestreams I thought here would be best.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
A DDoS does not grant the "attacker" (not really a hacker) access to anything that's not public.

All it does is flood the ports in the server computer so that it has so many requests it simply cannot handle the good ones.

Its a purely destructive attack and there's no real benefit to the attacker.

Normally only works on servers (you cant flood a port that is not actively waiting for connections). i guess every twitch steamer essentially becomes a "server" while streaming (didn't know it worked like that)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Now, you need to convince, maybe half of the streamers SMP that Skype is not the real option (mumble or TS are free, and take less bandwidth/cpu, but oh, well...)

Stellastronza

Jul 29, 2019
Now, you need to convince, maybe half of the streamers SMP that Skype is not the real option (mumble or TS are free, and take less bandwidth/cpu, but oh, well...)

I watch league of legends stream since when the whole streaming thing got viral, and as soon as the streamers were told that Skype=DDoS they ceased using it completely and switched to mumble / ts :)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
at last ppl are going to stop using skype its swiss cheese, this is one thing I have been saying for years not many take notice until they have too!!, in a lot of cases its as bad as msn.....

Stellastronza

Jul 29, 2019
at last ppl are going to stop using skype its swiss cheese, this is one thing I have been saying for years not many take notice until they have too!!, in a lot of cases its as bad as msn.....
Yes but it's easypeasy to use, needs no server and is virtually accessible by any device

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Best way to protect your self as far as I know is dont add random people on skype use TS or similar

welshtony

Jul 29, 2019
Best way to protect your self as far as I know is dont add random people on skype use TS or similar

I would have to agree with this statement

As for the attacks through twitch, I have no idea how they are doing it but I have been on streams (watching) where they have been attacked.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
You don't get attacked through Twitch...at all. At least not unless you are giving out your IP in your stream chat which would be...a little daft tbh. They almost always get your IP through Skype. If you must use Skype pick a username that has no connection to your twitch name and keep it strictly private. Alternatively, turn off your Skype and refresh your IP before you start a stream.

Q