Wanting to add the mod from "Big Dig"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bloodmorphed

Jul 29, 2019
I want to play FTB Infinity but I don't have a huge amount of time to throw into it anymore. SO I wouold like to know if I can add the mod from technics big dig that makes all ores minable on all levels and huge veins and a bit more common. Is this possible? I don't know what the mod is called nor do I know if it's kept up to date.

Thanks!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I want to play FTB Infinity but I don't have a huge amount of time to throw into it anymore. SO I wouold like to know if I can add the mod from technics big dig that makes all ores minable on all levels and huge veins and a bit more common. Is this possible? I don't know what the mod is called nor do I know if it's kept up to date.

Thanks!
I have no idea how this pack you mention is put together, but the FTB packs use the COFH oregen to designate Y-levels to ores, how common they are and how big clusters you find. Pretty sure you would have to modify these stats there.

Alternative option:
Have you tried looking into more efficient/automated methods of gathering resources? In an all-round pack like Infinity with little to no balance you have loads of high efficient methods of gathering resources IMO.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
A mining turtle is dirt cheap. It will get all materials you need for a BC quarry running only on furnace fuels (or for free if you enable that in the ComputerCraft config). The quarry will get you all the materials you need for...well, anything really. If you want even more efficient, you can upgrade to an EnderQuarry from there. If you rush a power grid that can output enough, MFR Laser Drills are also stupidly efficient. If you find Oreberry bushes while caving, you can use MFR Harvesters to gain infinite nuggets. The list goes on and on.

Then again, as @rhn stated, you could tweak the ore gen config in COFHcore to be even simpler, but at that point, you may as well just play creative (one man's opinion).

Reactions: rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
but at that point, you may as well just play creative (one man's opinion).
Errrgh. This line is a pet peeve of mine, justified or not. To me, there IS a fine line between being in creative and playing really easy survival. I think it has do with being able to DIRECTLY spawn stuff in - tweak world gen, and you still have to go and mine the ores, or build something to do it for you. In creative, you can have a stack of iron directly from your inventory at any time without having had to gather it. There could be other stuff, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Errrgh. This line is a pet peeve of mine, justified or not. To me, there IS a fine line between being in creative and playing really easy survival. I think it has do with being able to DIRECTLY spawn stuff in - tweak world gen, and you still have to go and mine the ores, or build something to do it for you. In creative, you can have a stack of iron directly from your inventory at any time without having had to gather it. There could be other stuff, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. :p

I get that sentiment. Most of the time I agree with it. But if the mentality is, "I don't have much free time to sink into this, but I want all the cool toys.", then I'm afraid Creative might be the best place to do that. If someone was to tweak ore gen into closely packed, large veins of all the ores, all it would take is 10 minutes with a TiCo hammer to achieve enough resources to build whatever you want. Why not save the 10 minutes, since you're so short on time, and just spawn it in?

I'm not trying to be a dick, or tell anyone else how to play. I don't have much free time to play, myself, but I chip away at a world and make my mark on it as I go. I've been slowly working towards making my base (and a number of other projects) for nearly three months now, and I've only begun to scratch the surface of my end vision. I enjoy the adventure, exploration, sense of accomplishment, and architecture that Minecraft offers. If I were to cheat that by handing myself all the ores I could carry, I would lose three quarters of the experience, and what was left would be simpler to do in a creative environment. Again, one man's opinion.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I get that sentiment. Most of the time I agree with it. But if the mentality is, "I don't have much free time to sink into this, but I want all the cool toys.", then I'm afraid Creative might be the best place to do that. If someone was to tweak ore gen into closely packed, large veins of all the ores, all it would take is 10 minutes with a TiCo hammer to achieve enough resources to build whatever you want. Why not save the 10 minutes, since you're so short on time, and just spawn it in?

I'm not trying to be a dick, or tell anyone else how to play. I don't have much free time to play, myself, but I chip away at a world and make my mark on it as I go. I've been slowly working towards making my base (and a number of other projects) for nearly three months now, and I've only begun to scratch the surface of my end vision. I enjoy the adventure, exploration, sense of accomplishment, and architecture that Minecraft offers. If I were to cheat that by handing myself all the ores I could carry, I would lose three quarters of the experience, and what was left would be simpler to do in a creative environment. Again, one man's opinion.
I think the idea behind larger ore veins is that they're also very rare, so while you might have a ton of iron right away, you'd need to spend a while adventuring to find any copper, tin, etc. I think that's something that can be balanced right with some tweaking.
As for creative... Well, I'm not motivated to build the cool toys if I can spawn ANYTHING in. If I only "spawn" ores in, then I still need machines to process the ores, and make me food, and spawn mobs, etc. See what I mean?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The problem is you have to get materials to do it automatically :p

For it to be any good that is.
A mining turtle is dirt cheap.
Indeed. You can have automated mining in terms of a turtle set up in matter of less than an hour of playing probably. And with the right script it is surprisingly effective and robust.
I suggest using this script:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/
Very easy to use, fast, unloading proof(most of the time, but you still want to chunkload it and probably let it finish before shutting down the game. But most often it starts up again without a problem). And in my experience it will dig more than enough coal to keep itself running if fuelled that way.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy is probably the mod you are thinking about. Low on patience for early game grind? Cheat in a few items like an ender pouch for dropping off stuff, a tool with a large mining radius such as a ticon hammer and boots of the traveller with the haste and slowfall enchants. Also an ender book from the mod of the same name. Been thinking of adding some kind of starting inventory mod to my packs.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy is probably the mod you are thinking about. Low on patience for early game grind? Cheat in a few items like an ender pouch for dropping off stuff, a tool with a large mining radius such as a ticon hammer and boots of the traveller with the haste and slowfall enchants. Also an ender book from the mod of the same name. Been thinking of adding some kind of starting inventory mod to my packs.
I don't think it's Metallurgy. In Big Dig, they actually changed how ore generates, probably using a similar method to CoFH Core. Speaking of which, I should probably try using that myself... Does anyone know of a premade "Spawn all ores in large but rare veins" thingy for that which I can figure out how to use? :p

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I don't think it's Metallurgy. In Big Dig, they actually changed how ore generates, probably using a similar method to CoFH Core. Speaking of which, I should probably try using that myself... Does anyone know of a premade "Spawn all ores in large but rare veins" thingy for that which I can figure out how to use? :p

Not exactly what you asked for, but try this.

Bloodmorphed

Jul 29, 2019
I know this, I found it last night, Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll be editing the files soon, if anyone wants them I can send them to you, just PM me.

Reactions: Type1Ninja